JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's actually a bit faster than a 35 Remington with similar bullet weights.
Seems to me it's like a 38-55 loaded to higher pressures, based on a necked up 30-30 case.
The straight wall rule has really bumped firearm sales in the states that were primarily shotgun states for hunting deer.
At 50K pressure it damn sure oughta outrun the .35 Remington (39K). Case capacity would be a more interesting comparison, since the ol' .35 can be racehorsed in a strong gun (such as Marlin 336's, Rem 600's and the like). Certainly the brass can take 50K.

Run it up to 50K in your pet 600 and report back. :p

For some years now I've found the new cartridge offerings redundant at best and embarrassing at worst. This one is isn't helping shift that perspective.
I notice you like submitting constructive thread titles.
You've got one there.

"What "classic" cartridge would you resurrect, and what would the marketing ploy be?"

Actual cartridge has to stay the same.
(It's been done before. Think .244 Remington to 6mm Remington).

It would let others prove your point. In spades.

I notice you like submitting constructive thread titles.
You've got one there.

"What "classic" cartridge would you resurrect, and what would the marketing ploy be?"

Actual cartridge has to stay the same.
(It's been done before. Think .244 Remington to 6mm Remington).

It would let others prove your point. In spades.
Remington should bring back the 7mm Express and retire the .280!

Neat.
However....
I would much rather see....more existing ammo made , on the store shelves....and at a lower price.
Andy

For some years now I've found the new cartridge offerings redundant at best and embarrassing at worst. This one is isn't helping shift that perspective.
If you live in a "shotgun" state that has now allowed straight wall rifle cartridges, you would be one of the first in line for one of these. Well, Andy might not be, depending on the muzzle loader regs.
My cousin in Indiana used a 350 Legend Fall of '22 to bag his biggest buck ever. It was a shot he wouldn't have taken with a slug gun.
At 50K pressure it damn sure oughta outrun the .35 Remington (39K). Case capacity would be a more interesting comparison, since the ol' .35 can be racehorsed in a strong gun (such as Marlin 336's, Rem 600's and the like). Certainly the brass can take 50K.

Run it up to 50K in your pet 600 and report back. :p
50K will move things along quickly. The 35 Remington has a nice enough reputation the way it's been loaded for a long time. I'd be happy to find a few boxes on the shelves so I could play with it a bit more. Still haven't started loading for it yet. :oops:
Many old cartridges would be better performers with a faster twist to use modern long, heavy bullets.

Bruce
I would love a 1 in 9 twist for my 30-06 Ackley Improved.

If you live in a "shotgun" state that has now allowed straight wall rifle cartridges, you would be one of the first in line for one of these.
No I wouldn't....
I grew up and hunted in a shotgun only state...my 1962 20 gauge Wingmaster got my first deer...and a more than a few afterwards.
Then , as you noted....muzzle loaders took over... :D
Andy

50K will move things along quickly. The 35 Remington has a nice enough reputation the way it's been loaded for a long time. I'd be happy to find a few boxes on the shelves so I could play with it a bit more. Still haven't started loading for it yet. :oops:
:s0162:

The real stupid laws are the ones that restrict hunters in a few states to using shotguns to hunt things everyone else gets to use rifles for on the outdated belief that somehow slugs or buckshot pose less of a 'downrange' risk
Oh c'mon man. I'll bet Dick Cheney's buddy is awfully glad Dick didn't have a 360 Buckhammer. :s0034:

:s0162:

Yeah, I saw those a while back. I'll take the time to reload before I spend that much....

No I wouldn't....
I grew up and hunted in a shotgun only state...my 1962 20 gauge Wingmaster got my first deer...and a more than a few afterwards.
Then , as you noted....muzzle loaders took over... :D
Andy
In several states in the Great Lakes region and in many states on the East Coast - LOTS of people used and still use shotguns for hunting.

One GL state that I can think of now does allow hunting with rifles.

In that state, you could use a shotgun or a handgun with a 6 inch or longer barrel from what I can remember. I believe that you can use a rifle to hunt with in that specific state now too. That passed a couple of years (?) ago.

DISCLAIMER: I do not hunt but I have gone on some hunts out here in MT with my husband. Mainly for grouse - NO problem.

Only a FEW times for deer and elk. I don't love the BITTER COLD that much no matter how well I dress for IT and to be out in it for HOURS ON END is not my cup of tea!

Cate

i have a 23" 357 Maximum barrel on my Contender and always wished for a lever gun in that caliber, now maybe i can have one. if anyone would try the 357 maximum in a carbine length barrel they would be impressed. 200 yd deer gun for sure. this new cartridge looks very close to max. the 357 Max is dead as handgun round so Remington couldn't very well re release it as a rifle round, so blow out the 30 30 case and Viola new and improved 357 Max.

Its a niche market - those that want to hunt with a lever action gun in straight wall cartridge states and don't/can't shoot the 45=70. I can see young and older hunters using such a cartridge. Also, consider all these 'assault weapons' bans being rammed down in these states so all you're left with is bolt action rifles and shotguns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top