JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best schedule I ever had I was working swing shift and had M,Tu,W off every week. Outside of working hours I got twice as much done and did a lot more fishing. I had no idea this area was so crowded until I went back to only having Sat & Sun off.

I'm with you. I've said the exact same thing many times. Here's my thoughts.

I'm not going to look up figures but, how many people are in the tri-county(Mult. Wa. Clack.) area now compared to 30 years ago?

The roads are basically the same size now as 30 years ago. There are MORE of them, but that is just to move the people to and from all the new housing.

So many with children don't parent anymore, they befriend their children. Taking the kids out of school to go to the zoo for instance. In the '60s-'70s we didn't get taken out of school for a day at the falls, at the zoo-park-outlet stores. I did, on occasion, miss the last day of school to go on the family vacation, or Friday before opening hunting on Saturday. In our small comunity I seem to remember the school closing on that day!

I don't think there have been a lot more things to do built over the last 30 years? I have heard that Oregon has not added any new camp grounds other than Stubb Stewart since the '70s.

And one other thing that just came to mind. People don't spend family time at home near as much as they used to. I know this for a fact from personally witnessing it. 30 years ago when you drove through neighborhoods the streets were alive with kids playing, parents out side washing cars, doing yard work, standing talking with neighbors. For some years now I've notices that there is hardly anyone stays near home.

When I was a 12 YO kid my parents scheduled my tonsils being taken out for over Christmas break so as not to miss any school. The most miserable Christmas ever because I could not eat any of the holiday goodies. But they thought they were doing the responsible thing, something a lot of parents today wouldn't dream of doing today. But I understand my parents reasoning.

And yet, I can't seem to find a quality employee to save my life. I talked to the unemployment department today and they told me that Oregon's unemployment rate is 3.8%, lowest since the early 70's (and frankly since I've been alive).

And yet, I can't seem to find a quality employee to save my life. I talked to the unemployment department today and they told me that Oregon's unemployment rate is 3.8%, lowest since the early 70's (and frankly since I've been alive).

The unemployment rate data is based only on those who are actively seeking employment, not the hundred of thousands who are not. It is actually a very poor indicator of employment or lack of. And it doesn't count the millions who are out of it's database because they have never been entered.

Based upon how packed the freeways are during the day, and considering not all could possibly be contractors moving from one jobsite to another, I wonder WTH all these people are doing driving around instead of working.

Based upon how packed the freeways are during the day, and considering not all could possibly be contractors moving from one jobsite to another, I wonder WTH all these people are doing driving around instead of working.
Probably trying to find some .22 ammo.

lol

The unemployment rate data is based only on those who are actively seeking employment, not the hundred of thousands who are not. It is actually a very poor indicator of employment or lack of. And it doesn't count the millions who are out of it's database because they have never been entered.

If any of those unemployed people feel like becoming skilled industrial mechanics or electricians I have a job for a few of them. If jobs don't exist with the skills you have its time to develop skills employers want. If people are not "actively seeking employment" then they arent actually wanting to work.

It's not that simple.
The state of Oregon doesn't count you as unemployed if you're not eligible for benefits. Once your benefits expire, it's like you become a non-person in the eyes of the OED.
You get dropped from the active roles and trying to get a job referral out of them is like pulling teeth.
BTDT.
Their priorities are to find the people collecting benefits the jobs. I swear, it's just to get them off the rolls.
They have no mechanism in their system to show you on the rolls of the unemployed once your bennies run out.

It's not that simple.
The state of Oregon doesn't count you as unemployed if you're not eligible for benefits. Once your benefits expire, it's like you become a non-person in the eyes of the OED.
You get dropped from the active roles and trying to get a job referral out of them is like pulling teeth.
BTDT.
Their priorities are to find the people collecting benefits the jobs. I swear, it's just to get them off the rolls.
They have no mechanism in their system to show you on the rolls of the unemployed once your bennies run out.

Still what I was trying to say their published rates do not actively reflect the real world situation. If it did the rates would be way higher, but I think we are both saying the same thing in different ways,

what kind of position are you hiring for? i have a buddy who is looking for work at the moment.

been saying that for years. everyone in my family thinks im crazy. good thing im not the only one who notices this.

Why would anyone count people who arent looking to get jobs in the unemployment roles?
A lot of people were still trying to get jobs. I was one of them. They told me I was no longer considered active, and there wouldn't be anymore automatic referrals for job openings. That I would have to scan the jobs and request a referral.
And then most of the time they would deny the referral, or not tell me who the employer was so I could contact them on my own.

Like I said, as far as they were concerned, it was like I was no longer unemployed.

Why would anyone count people who arent looking to get jobs in the unemployment roles?

Cause then they don't have to do anything about you.

When you are under the care of the state, they have to care. When you are not, they don't.

Employment Participation Rate
A bit more political article, but still relevant, and I think explains things well.
The chart Obama-haters love most—and the truth behind it

Government: Employment Participation Rate
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
This can/does get adjusted, so choose from a couple of months back.

A couple other views of the data - may be easier to see
United States Labor Force Participation Rate | 1950-2017 | Data | Chart

Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate

More
upload_2017-5-5_11-45-11.png
Wow, what happened in 1965 ~ 1990 ? Republicans, great economy, no and no. Women. In 1950 half the population stayed at home because that was normal. Women's movement and they entered the workforce. Got to about 2/3rds of the people working. Been flat, slight up for Clinton, then we elected Bush - crash - well, down.
These jobs are goin' boys, and they ain't comin' back.

Government: Discouraged Workers
Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

This is the above posters relative who got "disability." Many are depressed because they can't find work, and thus qualify for a medical MJ card - for the depression. Some are not working because they can't find a job they like -- not cause they can't find a job!

If you are disabled, then a different part of the Government machine will care for you.

Economics: What is Employment
What Is Employment? | Oscar W. Cooley

Some are not working because they can't find a job they like -- not cause they can't find a job!

I come across as a little harsh on this front because Ive been in awful jobs I hated working hours that normal sane people won't touch. Ive packed up and moved to take jobs on several occasions and Ive trained myself in lower paying starter jobs to get the experience I needed to move up. If what you are doing isnt working then its time to do something else. If youve been two years without a job you arent doing it right. Try a different approach. After a couple of years of not working it gets pretty clear that you arent willing to do the work employers want in an area where jobs exist and/or you arent willing to go where the jobs are. Thats not because the economy sucks or there arent jobs. It because you don't want to find a job. Now I hire people to do the jobs I used to do and believe me I have a brutal hard time getting people to apply for jobs much less show up and work. 3% unemployment is a reality.

According to the census.gov, 21 % of Americans receive welfare benefits.. Oregon claims 3 % unemployment.. Numbers dont ad up.. If our economy was in good shape people would not be on the government assistance. More than 3 % of people are either under employed,( meaning they make less than enough to survive) or unemployed.

Many people are just unemployable and many people just plain don't want to work and are comfortable living a bare subsistence life even if it means someone else is paying for it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top