JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been keeping track of this for a few years now...

No matter which day or month it is, everywhere I go, it seems to be crowded... And Im not talking about weekends... Im talking about WEEKDAYS.

I live in Washington county and everywhere i go, like the mall, national parks, waterfalls, hot springs, hiking up a mountain, ect ect, it is PACKED with people. People of ALL ages are out as if they have won the lotto. Hell, 70-80% of the people in my area have 2-3 cars in their driveways all day long. Their cars seem to not move.

I see the entire family out during the day as if it is a sunny summer vacation. No one seems to be at work or school..... Now since being retired at a young age, I have all the free time in the world, so I decided to conduct an experiment.

No matter what day, hour, month or week, it is ALWAYS crowded. Everyone seems to be out. While yes, i understand some people work, but during the middle of the week, i expect the places i visit to be dead. Not crowded with the entire family.... If the entire family is out, then who the hell is working??? The dog??? Their cat?

Now before you say, not everyone works 9-5, then let me debunk that.... If you work graveyard or night shift, and you come home during the day, then wouldnt you go straight to sleep??? You wouldnt be going on a 10 mile hike up a mountain, correct? Because you have to work a few hours later.....

And not only that, then how are your kids out? And your wife out? Do you wife and kids work graveyard too?????

I recently moved herre from another state and i still see the same crap... Unemployed people everwhere i go... My good buddy of mine is a server at a resturant and I asked him if people pay with their unemployment card... and guess what, I was right..... People going out having fun on my dime.... I guess they are right when they say 100 million americans are unemployed.. that is 1 out of 3.33 people..

Dear President Trump, 94 Million Out Of Labor Force Is A Sign Of America's Wealth, Not A Failure

And to back up my statement. Here are the proof. Take a look at these webcams of popular places during the weekday..

look at how busy it is!!!!

Multnomah Falls Web Cam

Steel Visitor Center Webcam (U.S. National Park Service)

get2.jpg

the ones that frost my azz are the ones I see all over town at street corners and driveways to stores with their signs begging for crap. Most of them are able bodied and employable people and there are help wanted signs posted EVERYWHERE!! (Hell Mc Donalds has big signs up wanting to hire people starting at $11 an hour and prob. a friggin free lunch!!) They are just too damn lazy to do anything that even slightly resembles work. I'm out of bed at 4am and on the job at 6am every day, bustin my azz
to make my living and these lazy suckers look at me like I should give them my hard earned cash to help them because they are freeloaders.:mad::mad::mad: funny how a lot of them disappear when the weather is bad, guess their only hungry on nice days?.

the ones that frost my azz are the ones I see all over town at street corners and driveways to stores with their signs begging for crap. Most of them are able bodied and employable people and there are help wanted signs posted EVERYWHERE!! (Hell Mc Donalds has big signs up wanting to hire people starting at $11 an hour and prob. a friggin free lunch!!) They are just too damn lazy to do anything that even slightly resembles work. I'm out of bed at 4am and on the job at 6am every day, bustin my azz
to make my living and these lazy suckers look at me like I should give them my hard earned cash to help them because they are freeloaders.:mad::mad::mad: funny how a lot of them disappear when the weather is bad, guess their only hungry on nice days?.

If you train people that they do not need to work to live well, then a lot of them will take you up on it. This has been building slowly for quite a while. How bad it will get is a hard guess to make. It is scary though. If things crash and that magic pot of money stops, well a LOT of these people will get very dangerous.

The thing that gets me down once and a while is that I work my butt off to make ends meet and these yahoos live beyond their means all day every day.

I know a kid at work that uses his credit card every day to buy his Dutch brothers and lunch. Not his bank card, a credit card. Sometimes it's different credit cards throughout the week. By the time he gets to my age, which isn't too far away, he'll be swimming in debt.

I have been keeping track of this for a few years now...

No matter which day or month it is, everywhere I go, it seems to be crowded... And Im not talking about weekends... Im talking about WEEKDAYS.

I live in Washington county and everywhere i go, like the mall, national parks, waterfalls, hot springs, hiking up a mountain, ect ect, it is PACKED with people. People of ALL ages are out as if they have won the lotto. Hell, 70-80% of the people in my area have 2-3 cars in their driveways all day long. Their cars seem to not move.

I see the entire family out during the day as if it is a sunny summer vacation. No one seems to be at work or school..... Now since being retired at a young age, I have all the free time in the world, so I decided to conduct an experiment.

No matter what day, hour, month or week, it is ALWAYS crowded. Everyone seems to be out. While yes, i understand some people work, but during the middle of the week, i expect the places i visit to be dead. Not crowded with the entire family.... If the entire family is out, then who the hell is working??? The dog??? Their cat?

Now before you say, not everyone works 9-5, then let me debunk that.... If you work graveyard or night shift, and you come home during the day, then wouldnt you go straight to sleep??? You wouldnt be going on a 10 mile hike up a mountain, correct? Because you have to work a few hours later.....

And not only that, then how are your kids out? And your wife out? Do you wife and kids work graveyard too?????

I recently moved herre from another state and i still see the same crap... Unemployed people everwhere i go... My good buddy of mine is a server at a resturant and I asked him if people pay with their unemployment card... and guess what, I was right..... People going out having fun on my dime.... I guess they are right when they say 100 million americans are unemployed.. that is 1 out of 3.33 people..

Dear President Trump, 94 Million Out Of Labor Force Is A Sign Of America's Wealth, Not A Failure

And to back up my statement. Here are the proof. Take a look at these webcams of popular places during the weekday..

look at how busy it is!!!!

Multnomah Falls Web Cam

Steel Visitor Center Webcam (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm with you. I've said the exact same thing many times. Here's my thoughts.

I'm not going to look up figures but, how many people are in the tri-county(Mult. Wa. Clack.) area now compared to 30 years ago?

The roads are basically the same size now as 30 years ago. There are MORE of them, but that is just to move the people to and from all the new housing.

So many with children don't parent anymore, they befriend their children. Taking the kids out of school to go to the zoo for instance. In the '60s-'70s we didn't get taken out of school for a day at the falls, at the zoo-park-outlet stores. I did, on occasion, miss the last day of school to go on the family vacation, or Friday before opening hunting on Saturday. In our small comunity I seem to remember the school closing on that day!

I don't think there have been a lot more things to do built over the last 30 years? I have heard that Oregon has not added any new camp grounds other than Stubb Stewart since the '70s.

And one other thing that just came to mind. People don't spend family time at home near as much as they used to. I know this for a fact from personally witnessing it. 30 years ago when you drove through neighborhoods the streets were alive with kids playing, parents out side washing cars, doing yard work, standing talking with neighbors. For some years now I've notices that there is hardly anyone stays near home.

re: "No matter which day or month it is, everywhere I go, it seems to be crowded... And Im not talking about weekends... Im talking about WEEKDAYS."

additional observation: I've been camping in Oregon from backpacker on up to RV/campgrounds all around the state, since early 70s....nearly 50 years observation here.

Our favorite coastal RV campgrounds for about 10+ years now, insist on prior RESERVATION, sometimes a YEAR in advance!!!! And no longer is the 'just drive around till we find a spot we like' a viable plan, as nearly ALL the spots are reserved!!!

Granted, population of PDX has about doubled (or more) in that time frame. Still, camp site spots have increased somewhat as well.

Seems to be a line everywhere we wanted to camp, so we finally sold off our camp rigs.

I don't enjoy being stared at while sitting at a stop light. Those type don't last long in Idaho. But for me, I'd rather stare at there lazy butts then see a strategic pos get into a house or apartment and stop paying rent of the mortgage. And work over the unemployment system.

I TRY to hire people without much luck most of the time. People don't develop the skills necessary to work any more. The unemployed are like that because they don't want to work or dont want to develop skills employers want.

As far as being off and doing stuff during the week theres this little thing called vacation.

Are they all truly unemployed? Hard to say. I know a number of folks that are self-employed and a number that also work from home - my sister, for example, can work from home much of the week and only goes in when necessary for meetings. She also has the freedom to work when she wants, it's up to her to get her work done. Our company is even looking at allowing folks to work at home at least part of the week rather than pay to expand the office. For a number of jobs, this is a very doable option.

Add to that, not every family is a two-income family. We are a single-income family. I'm fortunate to have a job that supports us on a single income. We're not wealthy, but we're doing okay. Add to that, we are a home-school family, which means the schedule isn't set around a typical school day schedule (save for the 2 days a week in a homeschool community 'school'). That allows a lot of freedom to do things at various times of the day, it also allows us to take our vacations at less busy times of the year like May and September when everyone else has to be in public school. In fact, my wife and daughter often do the schooling portion of the day late in the evening, just because there are other things to do during the day, including getting together with other homeschoolers for field trips, etc. I will add that the number of folks in similar situations as ours has been steadily growing over the last 5-10 years as a growing number of people, disenchanted with the public schools, are choosing to have a parent stay home and educate their children.

All that to say that unemployment isn't necessarily the most likely reason for what the OP is seeing. There are other legitimate reasons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top