JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't hear anything about the 460 Wetherby Magnum My spell check doesn't even like the name. I got to shoot one at Ben Avery Previously known as Black Canyon Shooting range outside Phoenix AZ, years ago, I watched as bigger men than I were forced back a step or 2 and paid my money and stepped into the torture chamber. I had experience shooting 12gage slugs and took that into account, I rode it out but the jolt was much sharper than the 12gage, I hadn't welded my cheek well enough and I got some pretty hefty whiplash from it. It was mainly for big game in Africa or possibly Alaska, it would have been a heck of a brown bear load. Not one you spent a lot of time at the range with though. LOL
I'm a wimp nowadays I'll stick to my 22LR, 5.56. or my 45 BP, that's enough for my tender body parts now that I'm on the far side of 70, and don't NEED to punish myself anymore.:s0115: Remember the --- :s0160: Red White and Blue!
Gabby
From the Weatherby website...

Introduced in 1959. Considered to be the world's largest, most powerful shoulder-fired cartridge, the 460 shoots a 500 grain bullet at 2,600 fps, delivering an incredible 7,507 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

I can see why you got whiplash from it.
I've got reloading info for that one in a Hornady reloading manual.

Dean

Gotta vote for .22TCM.
Louder than it should be with a great giant fireball of a muzzle flash.
Now I know how Zeus felt throwing thunderbolts.
Alas, Rock Island Armory is still the only maker of guns or ammo in this caliber.
Just way ahead of its time, I guess...

.223 underappreciated? The most popular centerfire rifle caliber in the land?

That word you are using...I do not think you know what it means.

"Underappreciated" =/= "a lack of unanimous agreement that the .223 is an ideal deer cartridge."

5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum, anyone?
Not loaded since 1982, it looks like Aguila brought it out of mothballs about 10 years ago.
Too bad no one's chambered a rifle for it since the 1970's.
Super high performance round that got NO respect.

I don't know that it really fits the "under-appreciated", but an obsolete cartridge that would be kind of neat-o in a modern lever-gun is either the .50-110 or .50-100. (The only .50-something lever-guns I'm aware of are semi-custom affairs. There is the .50 Alaskan and .500 S&W custom guns. I don't believe there are any .50 Beowulf or .50 AE lever-guns. After wrapping up the latest projects, I'll have to check them out again.)

.38 Special - for all the reasons listed, everyone has one, great improvements in self defense rounds in recent years, perfect handgun cartridge for new reloaders to cut their teeth on. Can load them light for newbies or heavy +p for more mature shooters. Pretty forgiving for the novice reloader.

.380 ACP - with advancements in modern self defense ammo, it's a viable carry round. Even high capacity .380's aren't that bulky or heavy and it's lighter perceived recoil may encourage more practice and more carry. I've always had one on hand for the past 30+ years.

.38 Super - just something about this elongated case, like an extra tall 9mm, there's a certain romantic aspect to it, Clyde Barrows carried one cause the round would penetrate the steel of those early automobiles and it was a higher capacity than the .45 ACP. I've always wanted to add a 1911 in .38 Super to the collection. One day I'll find the irresistible deal and pull the trigger...

I've heard that .38 Super was developed to penetrate engine blocks.
Another tool to help law enforcement stop the bad guys.
It was originally the .38 ACP, a much milder round.
Browning designed it for use in one of his pre-cursors to the 1911...M1900? M1905? Something like that.

Dean

My 8mm Mauser fires 150 gr @ 2800 fps, 175 gr @ 2700 and 200 gr @ 2470. I wouldn't say hundreds faster. On the other hand, the most ridiculous exit wound I have ever created was with a 7.5 swiss on a whitetail doe. About the size of a softball. That round performs about like a .308. I use controlled expansion projectiles in the 8mm and most of my other rifles, so those exit wounds are about quarter or half dollar sized. The only deer I have taken with a .308 was a head shot at 270 yards - in 1 ear, out the other. Not much of an exit wound, but the head felt like a bag of broken glass, though. :p

300 Weatherby with 200gr partition starts at an easy 3000 fps. Thats over 500 fps faster and with a higher BC than the same weight bullet in an 8mm. It'll push a 150gr bullet in the 3300+ range.

Never met a magnum I didnt like.

300 Weatherby with 200gr partition starts at an easy 3000 fps. Thats over 500 fps faster and with a higher BC than the same weight bullet in an 8mm. It'll push a 150gr bullet in the 3300+ range.

Never met a magnum I didnt like.
On that topic, and on topic, since you go the magnum route: 8mm Rem Mag. :)

Hi Dean
RE: 460 WBY MAG.
If I'm not mistaken it was still considered so in the late 1980's when I fired it.
I still get a kick out of remembering seeing those big macho men being forced to take steps backward to avoid going on their azzez!
LOL
Gabby

5.45x39 is underappreciated, thanks to the ATF's role in causing that.

That or maybe we can't just appreciate that the Soviets were complimenting us when they went with 5.45. We're so incapable of accepting compliments. :rolleyes:

Though look at that funky thing going on with basic fmj. o_O

Last Edited:
Hi Dean
RE: 460 WBY MAG.
If I'm not mistaken it was still considered so in the late 1980's when I fired it.
I still get a kick out of remembering seeing those big macho men being forced to take steps backward to avoid going on their azzez!
LOL
Gabby
Hey Bill,

I think .460 Wby will ALWAYS be a formidable catridge, but you'll have to refresh my memory...what was it that I wrote about the .460 that you're commenting on again?

Hey Bill,

I think .460 Wby will ALWAYS be a formidable catridge, but you'll have to refresh my memory...what was it that I wrote about the .460 that you're commenting on again?

BillGabby1 said:
I don't hear anything about the 460 Weatherby Magnum My spell check doesn't even like the name. I got to shoot one at Ben Avery Previously known as Black Canyon Shooting range outside Phoenix AZ, years ago, I watched as bigger men than I were forced back a step or 2 and paid my money and stepped into the torture chamber. I had experience shooting 12gage slugs and took that into account, I rode it out but the jolt was much sharper than the 12gage, I hadn't welded my cheek well enough and I got some pretty hefty whiplash from it. It was mainly for big game in Africa or possibly Alaska, it would have been a heck of a brown bear load. Not one you spent a lot of time at the range with though. LOL
I'm a wimp nowadays I'll stick to my 22LR, 5.56. or my 45 BP, that's enough for my tender body parts now that I'm on the far side of 70, and don't NEED to punish myself anymore.:s0115: Remember the --- :s0160: Red White and Blue!
Gabby

"From the Weatherby website...

Introduced in 1959. Considered to be the world's largest, most powerful shoulder-fired cartridge, the 460 shoots a 500 grain bullet at 2,600 fps, delivering an incredible 7,507 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

I can see why you got whiplash from it.
I've got reloading info for that one in a Hornady reloading manual."

Dean

Does this jog your memory well enough?
I need jogs like that almost daily! Goes with the years ya know.
LOL
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class