JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My rifles bored to .308 leave exit holes the size of baseballs. They may start narrower, but they are several hundred fps faster.
My 8mm Mauser fires 150 gr @ 2800 fps, 175 gr @ 2700 and 200 gr @ 2470. I wouldn't say hundreds faster. On the other hand, the most ridiculous exit wound I have ever created was with a 7.5 swiss on a whitetail doe. About the size of a softball. That round performs about like a .308. I use controlled expansion projectiles in the 8mm and most of my other rifles, so those exit wounds are about quarter or half dollar sized. The only deer I have taken with a .308 was a head shot at 270 yards - in 1 ear, out the other. Not much of an exit wound, but the head felt like a bag of broken glass, though. :p

I'll go along with the .284 Winchester and add the .300 Savage too.
16 gauge can do everything a 12 can do, except maybe high flying geese.
I've never owned one, but I like the .41 mag.

30/30 for me is underappreciated. Totally Rodney Dangerfield.

That and .327 Federal. Seven shots of wham-bam in a small frame revolver-- that can also throw out 32 S&W for beginners and kids. So neglected Cabelas will sell you a 327 gun but doesn't stock ammo on the shelf for it. (Don't get me started)

I agree about the .327. I teach NRA courses and find this the PERFECT teaching cartridge. Not too much recoil, not so intimidating so that pretty much everybody will try it. Can fire not only the .327 but also the .32 H & R Mag and the shorter .32 calibers.

Other underappreciated ones: all the Super Mags. .357 Super Mag, .375, .414, .445, 7mm, etc. I made up a .510 Super Mag. It is impressive. More: .17 Mach IV, 7 X 61 Sharpe & Hart, 10mm for pistols, 9mm Federal (rimmed 9 X 19, if you haven't heard about it). And... about 50 more...

...speaking of 7x61 Sharpe & Hart, how about "The European .280 ", the 7X64 Brenneke.
I don't know if I've EVER seen a gun chambered for that one, but apparently, a big hit in Europe, at one time.

Who needs a 280 when the 284 win exists?
257 Roberts, especially the AI, one of the finest cartridges ever made.
You realize by bragging on the 257 Roberts you are admitting to being as much a dinosaur as I am, don't you? :Do_O It still is a great round but is being pushed by the wayside by all the "New" ones. The young whippersnappers will be singing the blues when (their Favorites) are no longer in vogue. Now there is a word not used much anymore. Get out your Funk & Wagnal ( SP?) and look it up.
The 25 caliber bullets as I recall had great stability in flight which is what made them so accurate. Then they came out with the 25-06 a necked down 30-06, more soup and good accuracy, but you don't hear much about it anymore either. :(
Gabby

Last Edited:
You realize by bragging on the 257 Roberts you are admitting to being as much a dinosaur as I am, don't you? :Do_O It still is a great round but is being pushed by the wayside by all the "New" ones. The young whippersnappers will be singing the blues when (their Favorites) are no longer in vogue. Now there is a word not used much anymore. Get out your Funk & Wagnal ( SP?) and look it up.
The 25 caliber bullets as I recall had great stability in flight which is what made them so accurate. Then they came out with the 25-06 a necked down 30-06, more soup and good accuracy, but you don't hear much about it anymore either. :(
Gabby
You don't want to see my other favorites then.
250 Savage
348 Winchester
50-110 Express
7X57....

Gabby
.250 Savage kicks 'em all. ;)

You don't want to see my other favorites then.
250 Savage
348 Winchester
50-110 Express
7X57....
Interesting thing about the .348.
It was touted for years as the most powerful cartridge ever chambered in a lever action.
When I was growing up, that was just "common knowledge".
What no one remembered was 40 years before the '95 Winchester was chambered in both the .35 and .405 Winchester. Two cartridges that out powered the .348 by at least a magnitude.
In fact, the gun/cartridge that replaced the Model 71/.348, the Model 88/.358 Winchester is a modern match for the .35 Winchester, but in a shorter action.

I don't hear anything about the 460 Wetherby Magnum My spell check doesn't even like the name. I got to shoot one at Ben Avery Previously known as Black Canyon Shooting range outside Phoenix AZ, years ago, I watched as bigger men than I were forced back a step or 2 and paid my money and stepped into the torture chamber. I had experience shooting 12gage slugs and took that into account, I rode it out but the jolt was much sharper than the 12gage, I hadn't welded my cheek well enough and I got some pretty hefty whiplash from it. It was mainly for big game in Africa or possibly Alaska, it would have been a heck of a brown bear load. Not one you spent a lot of time at the range with though. LOL
I'm a wimp nowadays I'll stick to my 22LR, 5.56. or my 45 BP, that's enough for my tender body parts now that I'm on the far side of 70, and don't NEED to punish myself anymore.:s0115: Remember the --- :s0160: Red White and Blue!
Gabby

The .444 Marlin. Shoots 2300 or so FPS with 265gr boolits..... Fun gun to shoot and extremely capable as long as the hunter/shooter does their part. Just seems to be overshadowed by the 45-70 and mega heavy boolits like 400gr, and the trajectory of a football it seems.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top