Underappreciated Cartridges

po18guy

Reactions
Although the .220 Swift has been mentioned, of note it uses the .308 head diameter and action lenth. (mind begins wandering) So, imagine an AR10 .220 with a heavy barrel. 4K+ FPS with an 45-50gr bullet. If you're going to dream...

Reactions
I like the .357 Sig cartridge as I carried a G32 gen. 3 for some time until it got stolen several years ago. I think it's a great round, though it is pricy compared to the .40 SW round let alone 9mm rounds. Definitely need to train with it due to its snappy recoil, but it will do the job just fine nonetheless. Currently I've been carrying 9mm (G26 or G19, both Gen 3). The .357 Sig round is one of my personal favorites that some should try and see for themselves and make their own judgment accordingly. Carry on.

Reactions
The 6.5x57 I have an old 1939 Mannlicher Schoenauer and the only load data I could find was the Hornady #3 and #4 load manuals. I even had to get Lee to make a special case length gauge for it so I could trim the cases.

This is a very nice round...

Reactions
6.5 TCU - It's got a reasonable shoulder, unlike 7 TCU and .300 BLK. Easily made from the most common caliber out there.
.357 Max
.358 Win - Most thump at the receiving end, for the least recoil.

I had a .22 KHornet that I thought was a really cool caliber, but I could never get it to shoot (the gun was a Thompson Center TCR).

.327 Fed Mag
.300 BLK

DeanMk

Reactions
6.5 TCU - It's got a reasonable shoulder, unlike 7 TCU and .300 BLK. Easily made from the most common caliber out there.
.357 Max
.358 Win - Most thump at the receiving end, for the least recoil.

I had a .22 KHornet that I thought was a really cool caliber, but I could never get it to shoot (the gun was a Thompson Center TCR).

.327 Fed Mag
.300 BLK
...another :s0155: for the .358 Winnie.
One of those amazing cartridges that everyone speaks highly of, but never gets chambered in any guns anymore (exception to the wonderful people at Browning).

Reactions
Yeah, I got a BLR that is like new, too pretty to do much with it. It would make a hell of an elk gun. I did have fun busting milk jugs with it, using max loads under the Speer 250gr Hot Cor and the 250gr Grand Slam. Tremendous power AND penetration. Cooking up a deer load would be easy too. I can't bear to put a scope on it though, and my eyes aren't good for irons any more, so its a safe queen.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom