JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Blunt honesty, I would have assumed they were both there to rob me.
Especially given the location.
Ain't that the sad truth. Person in distress, representing themselves as LE or present is some other official capacity (gas man, landlord, concerned neighbor trying to alert you to something, etc) you never can trust anything at face value these days.

On the flip side, we really don't know the details. Represented as a kidnapping, but for all we know... she was wacked out on something, having a mental break, otherwise a danger to herself and the man was actually a friend/husband/other trying to restrain her and get her the help she needed.

For that matter... just a karen trying to get her significant other into trouble... and he should have left it alone instead of man handling her(?).

That's the other problem these days. You can't take anything being reported by the media at face value. There is most often some kind of agenda angle.

Lady is lucky to be alive. Statistically your odds of being killed if you are taken are extremely high. If you find yourself in a situation like this, fight like you're the third money walking up the plank to Noah's Ark...and it's starting to rain. Have this discussion with your family members too.

Honestly my pre-gamed MO for a situation like this is to defuse and control both parties. Whether that is verbal or through copious application of force will be up to each of them, but they are both getting treated as potential threats and we can all just sit there nice and quietly until law enforcement shows up to sort things out. I have no idea if she is part of the scam, or even is the hostile party and the dude is trying to keep her from getting herself killed doing something stupid. There are a million ways this situation could be different from the "obvious" conclusion an outside party could come to.

What I will not be doing is jumping to conclusions, starting an investigation or letting my guard down. I will be calling in as many other trusted third parties to help control the situation as I can until the totality of the circumstances are fully sorted out. These kinds of situations raise my hackles, and I would not want to make things worse (for myself or others) by jumping to and acting on incorrect conclusions. Shut it all down and take it slow. Let both parties know you don't care what they say; we can sort it out when law enforcement gets there and they can make their pleas to someone who has the resources to actually help. All my goal is is to make sure we can all make it to that point, and if the only way for us to do that is for me to sit here with a gun in hand and both of you sitting on your hands then so be it that is what we are going to do. And if either party does not want to cooperate until law enforcement shows up I will absolutely use that as the basis to start making assumptions, so please take that into account.

In this specific situation I probably would have answered the door, but I would have done it with the big boom stick, fully strapped and low ready (or even aimed, if warranted), with firm commands for everyone to calm down and get on the damn ground. If it was the obvious he may run and that is fine, not my job to track him down, but it at least get the immediate situation diffused. Past that I would just take things as needed.

As fast as everything happened, depending on where I was in my house, they may have been at the car before I got to the door. I'd have called the Police and let them sort it out. Why go chasing trouble? Domestic disputes can go sideways at the drop of a hat. Abused women have a tendency to side with their abuser after the fact. I'm not anxious to be the third party in that kind of CF. I'm not without compassion, but there are reasons we have Police and this one of them.

I always assess the danger to myself first. A couple of times I've walked or driven away from situations that looked like potential muggings to myself.

I've helped a lot of people over the years, but only after knowing there's no danger or loss to myself.

I love having a locked gate. If anyone wants to get to my front door they have to call the phone number on my locked gate first, and my phone is shut off between 10PM and 8AM everyday. If they decide to climb over my locked gate, they risk being eaten by guard dogs.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top