JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here in Texas, a teacher who I believe was out of the El Paso school district, has designed and is selling a new style door lock to put onto interior classroom doors in case of a lockdown/active shooter. The reason that this is so important is because on most classroom doors teachers must step out into the hallway in order to lock the door!! With this lock one drops the piece into the locking pieces in place on the door and the jamb. Those two pieces have a small cavity in the back that the 90* piece into those two cavities. And its locked tightly. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. This only works on doors that swing open away from you. Comes in 90* right, 90* left and one that is flat.

Could really be in every school in America. I'm putting one on my back door (swings outwards).

A short while back someone realized that a short section of fire hose slipped over the arms of the door closer would prevent the door from opening more than an inch. Its cheap and easy to use. But it violates the fire code. DR

door-lock.jpg

Bruce

It may not be the total solution, but it is good to see thought and effort in making schools safer. Even if it just buys some extra time for law enforcement to arrive, it is a step in the right direction.

The reason that this is so important is because on most classroom doors teachers must step out into the hallway in order to lock the door!!
And a substitute teacher most likely doesn't have a key at all, or email to receive information during an emergency.

Bruce

Here in Texas, a teacher who I believe was out of the El Paso school district, has designed and is selling a new style door lock to put onto interior classroom doors in case of a lockdown/active shooter. The reason that this is so important is because on most classroom doors teachers must step out into the hallway in order to lock the door!! With this lock one drops the piece into the locking pieces in place on the door and the jamb. Those two pieces have a small cavity in the back that the 90* piece into those two cavities. And its locked tightly. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. This only works on doors that swing open away from you. Comes in 90* right, 90* left and one that is flat.

Could really be in every school in America. I'm putting one on my back door (swings outwards).

Sadly, I dont see something like this getting budgeted in. Especially in existing schools and especially in blue states where the powers that be couldn't care less about the people or their children.

Maybe new schools in the planning stages or even in the building stages may see added security measures being implemented. We might even see a few existing schools, in a few specific states, that will adopt some added security measures.

Generally speaking though, I dont see too many things that make sense, like this, getting funded. It also negates the agenda...

I can see that potentially being a code issue depending how strict a locality is about egress systems. Sure, it's meant to be a temporary thing for emergency use only, but that doesn't stop the fire marshal or city inspectors from giving the business a discrepancy because of some outlandish excuse like "ok, so how would someone with no hands remove that device to escape when the building is on fire?". I would be lying if I said I haven't witnessed an excuse like that get used before.

I think they invented something like that in the Middle Ages to lock castle doors o_O

Was thinking the same - everything old is new again.

As to the OP - I give it a week before students fab up something out of cardboard and papier-mâché that is just good enough to hold the door against a normal adult female so as to play some shenanigans the first time the teacher leaves the room.

At which point, you'll see any sort of effectiveness these could have completely stripped by whatever the school does to solve for teen human behavior.

IMO - figuring out "better" ways to lockdown harder is not the right path to take.

In commercial door locks, there is "Classroom Function" and "Storeroom Function".
Switching classrooms to storeroom function locks might be a way to go.
The teacher would have to see that the door is open as the class fills up and then it locks upon closing the door.

A storeroom function always requires a key to retract the latch and enter the room. A classroom lock can be locked or unlocked using a key in the outside lever. For both functions, the inside lever always allows free egress.

In commercial door locks, there is "Classroom Function" and "Storeroom Function".
Switching classrooms to storeroom function locks might be a way to go.
The teacher would have to see that the door is open as the class fills up and then it locks upon closing the door.

A storeroom function always requires a key to retract the latch and enter the room. A classroom lock can be locked or unlocked using a key in the outside lever. For both functions, the inside lever always allows free egress.
I actually had a private school pay me to install Entry function levers where they originally had Classroom function locks, so the teacher would be able to lock the doors from the inside in case of trouble

I actually had a private school pay me to install Entry function levers where they originally had Classroom function locks, so the teacher would be able to lock the doors from the inside in case of trouble
That would be another way to do it.
Although a 5 year old kid could close a store room function door and have to do nothing else to lock the classroom.
Either way, classroom function is obsolete when you think about it.

I can see that potentially being a code issue depending how strict a locality is about egress systems. Sure, it's meant to be a temporary thing for emergency use only, but that doesn't stop the fire marshal or city inspectors from giving the business a discrepancy because of some outlandish excuse like "ok, so how would someone with no hands remove that device to escape when the building is on fire?". I would be lying if I said I haven't witnessed an excuse like that get used before.
I'm on my work's safety committee and perform quarterly safety inspections and one of my committee members has said something very similar to this about a door.

As Forest Gump's mother said "stupid is as stupid does..." lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top