JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I work for an unarmed security company and my i have my chl. What are the repercussions if i used lethal force to defend my life while on duty?

I take it you mean carry and use while working? This is no different than if you use your gun any other time. Your company will of course fire you but you will be alive to get another job. I did security work all my life as a side job. Much of it was unarmed. I ALWAYS carried. I figured if they fired me over it who cares. I was not going to use the gun unless my life depended on it. At that point getting fired is real low on the care scale. I have always carried at every job I had. Many of them it would mean fired if caught. Again if I need the gun to save my life I can find another job.

Last Edited:
I agree, getting fired would probably seem like small potatoes at that point.

Back in the 70's I knew a guy who worked at a stop'n'rob nights to make some extra cash. Guy came in robbed him. Then did not run, started looking around. The guy said he felt like the doper was thinking about not leaving a witness. Second time he took his eyes off him he pulled his gun and shot him dead. There was no CC law there then. Since he was in a private business they could not charge him with having the gun. Corporation who owned the place of course fired him. News did a little interview with him. He said I'm alive I can find another part time min wage job. When I saw the news they had cut that part out of course.

Always carried, fired = alive.
Used to think who cares, not like my boss would not replace me in weeks if I was shot dead.
Think about it, does your boss care about you, or what your guarding that should answer your question.

I don't think law enforcement gives a hoot about your company's policies as long as you are not carrying in a "restricted by law zone". Other than that, you are at the company's mercy as to your future employment there.
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't understand the security of an unarmed security officer:eek:.

I don't think law enforcement gives a hoot about your company's policies as long as you are not carrying in a "restricted by law zone". Other than that, you are at the company's mercy as to your future employment there.
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't understand the security of an unarmed security officer:eek:.

It like almost everything comes down to money. The insurance to keep an armed guard is astronomically higher. The reason is easy to see. With unarmed you can pay min wage and hopefully at least have someone capable of looking security and using a phone. A lot of it is perception with the low end. When you get in to the higher end often they have quite a bit of training. Again if the employer chooses to arm them it costs big time compared. Insurance has to take on the risk of a pay out. Look how often Police have to pay out.

Thanks for the input. Honestly i hace no problem with loosing my job if it came down to it. I just know that a majority of my co workers also carry and one of them just got his chl renewed and wants to carry but is afraid he might do jail time if he got caught or in the event that he had to use it.

Thanks for the input. Honestly i hace no problem with loosing my job if it came down to it. I just know that a majority of my co workers also carry and one of them just got his chl renewed and wants to carry but is afraid he might do jail time if he got caught or in the event that he had to use it.

Only if you are carrying the gun into a zone that does not allow weapons by law. Its no different to use it while working than if you just happened to be there any other time. There is no law against having the weapon while working just because the employer does not sanction it. One of the biggest problems with this is few can do this without feeling the need to tell everyone. The fact that you know so many of your coworkers carry is just what I mean. If you chose to carry don't tell anyone. No one needs to know. People who can't help themselves telling others are the ones who get fired for it.

Yup, can't get jail time for just carrying when your employer prohibits it. If found out, you can get trespassed, which equals termination.

Now, if your security job were to involve working with (securing) mentally unstable & convicted persons, that is entirely different.

Only if you are carrying the gun into a zone that does not allow weapons by law. Its no different to use it while working than if you just happened to be there any other time. There is no law against having the weapon while working just because the employer does not sanction it. One of the biggest problems with this is few can do this without feeling the need to tell everyone. The fact that you know so many of your coworkers carry is just what I mean. If you chose to carry don't tell anyone. No one needs to know. People who can't help themselves telling others are the ones who get fired for it.
A big part of how everyone knows is because alot of us are gun orientated people and alot of us how our chl. We all trust eachother and 90% of us are a veteran of one form or another and we all have a mutual understanding of not being a blue falcon. Weither they are carrying at that time or not is not announced but it is implied and assumed.

A big part of how everyone knows is because alot of us are gun orientated people and alot of us how our chl. We all trust eachother and 90% of us are a veteran of one form or another and we all have a mutual understanding of not being a blue falcon. Weither they are carrying at that time or not is not announced but it is implied and assumed.

That's fine but the more people you tell the sooner someone is going to tell the wrong person. I have carried all my life at work. In those decades only a handful knew. Normally this was if I was working with family. I have seen this more times than I can count. People tell others and then it gets back to the wrong person. Just carry and don't say anything unless you need to use it. At that point it's going to be time to move on to another job but, you were looking for a job when you found that one. :cool:

You will lose your job. DPSST will revoke your license and suspend you from ever re-attaining it*.

That's about it.

*I'm assuming you are licensed by DPSST to provide unarmed security, not armed security.

You will lose your job. DPSST will revoke your license and suspend you from ever re-attaining it*.

That's about it.

*I'm assuming you are licensed by DPSST to provide unarmed security, not armed security.
That is correct. We are required to inorder to work for the company. If that is all that is at stake i think its worth risking getting caught carrying then not carry and risk not making it home.

That is correct. We are required to inorder to work for the company. If that is all that is at stake i think its worth risking getting caught carrying then not carry and risk not making it home.

Carry properly and you will not get caught. Only time anyone will know is if you have to shoot someone to save your own life. In that case you're alive and can find another job. Not sure how it works in all states. Here to work security you don't have to have a State issued license. So even that line of work will not be out if this happens. In any case even having to change line of work beats ending up in the hospital or dead

If I were you I would go attain my Armed license from DPSST. It's a 3 day course with range time at the end. If you have your Armed license, DPSST will not pull your license for carrying on the job.

Your work could ask DPSST to pull it as you broke your code of ethics or whatever but I don't see them pulling it for carrying concealed with your CHL/Armed DPSST license just because your employer is stupid.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top