JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I were you I would go attain my Armed license from DPSST. It's a 3 day course with range time at the end. If you have your Armed license, DPSST will not pull your license for carrying on the job.

Your work could ask DPSST to pull it as you broke your code of ethics or whatever but I don't see them pulling it for carrying concealed with your CHL/Armed DPSST license just because your employer is stupid.

Now that is a good idea if the state will allow that there. Here they do, or at least used to make you go through the employer who wanted you licensed. You could not just go down and get one. If I was doing this in OR and they would allow it that would be what I would do. Worth the cost of doing it. If they call your current employer just tell them you were getting it to see about opportunities at other places.

Now that is a good idea if the state will allow that there. Here they do, or at least used to make you go through the employer who wanted you licensed. You could not just go down and get one. If I was doing this in OR and they would allow it that would be what I would do. Worth the cost of doing it. If they call your current employer just tell them you were getting it to see about opportunities at other places.
They won't call your employer. Oregon DPSST runs things differently than the WA DOL. In WA, it's my understanding that your employer holds your Security card and transfers it when you transfer companies. In Oregon, the individual (you) carry your credentials and working without them on you can result in a fine if an official from DPSST catches you, or the Police find you without it on you.

All he has to do is find an instructor, apply for the course, pay the cost of training ($200/person if you go in a group is a typical rate I've seen, $275-300 singular + range/ammo fees), mail in his forms to DPSST, and receive his Armed license in the mail.

They won't call your employer. Oregon DPSST runs things differently than the WA DOL. In WA, it's my understanding that your employer holds your Security card and transfers it when you transfer companies. In Oregon, the individual (you) carry your credentials and working without them on you can result in a fine if an official from DPSST catches you, or the Police find you without it on you.

All he has to do is find an instructor, apply for the course, pay the cost of training ($200/person if you go in a group is a typical rate I've seen, $275-300 singular + range/ammo fees), mail in his forms to DPSST, and receive his Armed license in the mail.

In that case it would be money well spent. If I lived there and was doing this I would get on down there and get the license for sure.

IMO what he should do is dump his unarmed company and find an armed company that will allow him to carry on the job and pay him more... just IMO of course. :)

That would of course be preferable. I know in two states where I have done this the majority of the armed jobs paid crap. It always seemed strange to me until I found out why. It's like bank jobs which are also famously low paying for the education many of the employee's have. The job is some how "prestigious" to many so they will take the low pay and crap way they are treated to have it. The guys driving those trucks are a great example. They have a wealth of people who want the jobs at low pay and treated like crap.
There are of course some that pay very well but they also don't have massive turnover. I know here there are a few who contract for the Government so they do pay well and are armed. One of these would be the place to try to get on with if there is any openings there. All the more reason for the OP to get the license now. Should look good when applying at the higher paying places. I did armed for a private multi Millionaire for a long time a while back. Paid me quite well which was why I stayed with him for a good while. That was one of those jobs I just fell into, right place at the right time kind of thing.

I would love to but we only have 2 in my area and they dont hire often

Start Your Own Company may be an option to look at, I do have a friend who is owner of a company in eugene who was a Cop for some years, He carries and I believe his qualified Men carry on the job too. Maybe start a satellite company under a larger Name? Best of luck on what you decide.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top