JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I showered this morning. A few minutes ago, I just got out of the shower for the second time today. Which isn't routine in my retirement. But my shooting session today required it. I often shoot military design rifles. Today, I fired 107 rounds of .30-06 in one of the M1 Rifles, and 124 rounds in one of the AR's. Combustion gases from cartridge ignition are an exhaust. Your face is right down there on the rifle, looking over the sights, near the gases. My skin winds up feeling gritty, sticky and oily. Not unlike coming in after a session with a chain saw, brush chipper, or maybe even a lawnmower. When I come in the house after using such machines, Mrs. Merkt will often aske me, "What's that smell?"

I wonder what these gases do to the lungs over time.

Today, I fired 107 rounds of .30-06 in one of the M1 Rifles,

Ooof....did 40 rounds in mine a couple weeks ago and that was enough. I got scrawny shoulders. Get a little "flinchy" at that point. No long lasting pain though. And I wear a pussy-pad. I can't even imagine shooting that many in one sitting.

I often shower after a range session.

Lead dust isnt the worst thing in the world but I have sensitive skin (ginger) so I try to be as clean as possible because I feel it if I'm not.

In my opinion though, shooting hygiene is important and washing your hands after shooting to get the dust off can't hurt.

This why it's also recommended that you don't drink or eat at the range. I will drink fluids but only from a closed container.

Try a few mags through a full auto AR with a can on it. That will coat your head with so much America, you'll taste America in your mouth, American gases will burn your nose hairs, etc.

Between this and Hoppes 9, they are my two favorite colognes/deodorants.

This why it's also recommended that you don't drink or eat at the range. I will drink fluids but only from a closed container.
Who 'recommended' this? Shooting is a social, outdoor activity and snacks & drink are a part of ANY outdoor activity ! Along with a little dirt and dust (and sometimes smoke) are a part of it!

Also how does the 'fluid' exit the container if it's closed?

A1.jpeg

Last Edited:
I LOVE the smell of gunpowder exhaust in the morning!!

Worried about lead? Get some in yer pencil!!! More lead dust from car exhaust than a session at the range...

The timing of your post is too funny. I did the exact same thing yesterday but you beat me by a mile on legit reasons with the rifles. Mine was all handgun, high round count for COVID times, but still needed a shower.

And I wear a pussy-pad. I can't even imagine shooting that many in one sitting.

Well, I was shooting prone at one of those 25 meter alt C qualification targets. Years ago, when I was skinny, shooting prone could be painful with the M14. But as I added weight, it got easier. However, I had right shoulder surgery in the 1990's. More specifically, the outer end of my right clavicle disintegrated where it used to attach to my acronion, the cartilage was gone, etc. So this is right in the area where the rifle butt hits when shooting prone. Yesterday my first eight shots were painful. I had an old corduroy jacket with me, I threw that around the back of my neck and used one end as a hack pad. Office worker or oilfield roughneck, shoulder surgery can be a game changer.

There is no way of knowing, but shooting high power rifles may have been the cause of the need for surgery in the 1990's.

But I'm thinking now that I will probably scale back on shooting 30 caliber rifles. I have plans of letting go of my 8mm Mauser equipment, I won't be needing that either.

Who 'recommended' this?

For one source, it's in the NRA Range Safety Officer course. I don't eat while shooting either but drink from a water bottle.

The timing of your post is too funny. I did the exact same thing yesterday but you beat me by a mile on legit reasons with the rifles. Mine was all handgun, high round count for COVID times, but still needed a shower.

In my original post, I didn't confess to the 100 plus rounds of .357 Magnum I fired as well. You get a lot of gas in your face out of that, too, what with the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

Retirement? Isn't it kinda late to ask such questions?

You're quite right about that. By now it's a rhetorical question. I have thought about it over the years, like when I was shooting handguns with the wind blowing in my face, giving me full benefit of the gas. I'm in my 70th year now, likely my demise will be from some other cause.

It may be overkill, but I take the lead dust pretty seriously. The lead is not a big deal really unless it is ingested...but, seeing as I have a (now) toddler and I've been shooting since before she was born...I painstakingly make sure that no lead will ever go from me to her hands and from her hands to her mouth.

I've got my range clothes and range shoes in a duffel and I'll change when I get to the range. Change back when done shooting. D-Wipe lead removal wipes for hands and face before getting in the car. Shower when I get home.

Probably overkill, but still something I'll continue to do.

Who 'recommended' this? Shooting is a social, outdoor activity and snacks & drink are a part of ANY outdoor activity ! Along with a little dirt and dust (and sometimes smoke) are a part of it!

One Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5379568/

Thirty-six articles were reviewed that included BLLs from shooters at firing ranges. In 31 studies BLLs > 10 μg/dL were reported in some shooters, 18 studies reported BLLs > 20 μg/dL, 17 studies > 30 μg/d, and 15 studies BLLs > 40 μg/dL.

Nearly all BLL measurements compiled in the reviewed studies exceed the current reference level of 5 μg/dL recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CDC/NIOSH)

And from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2902938/

Lead is a developmental neurotoxin. Children are most commonly exposed and they are most vulnerable. Lead exposure has been associated with many cognitive and motor deficits, as well as distractibility and other characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Although children's blood lead levels have declined considerably over the past 3 decades with removal of lead from gasoline and paint, children can still be exposed to lead from lead paint in older homes, toys, and other sources. Because post-exposure treatment cannot reverse the cognitive effects of lead exposure, preventing lead exposure is essential.

The short of it is: you're better off washing your hands before eating (in general) but especially after shooting. But, slight exposure does not carry the same risk of damage or affect as it does with children. So, if interacting with kids, it's prudent for you and them both to take some extra hygienic steps.

On a serious note, I do the same after my visit to the firing range. Depend
It may be overkill, but I take the lead dust pretty seriously. The lead is not a big deal really unless it is ingested...but, seeing as I have a (now) toddler and I've been shooting since before she was born...I painstakingly make sure that no lead will ever go from me to her hands and from her hands to her mouth.

I've got my range clothes and range shoes in a duffel and I'll change when I get to the range. Change back when done shooting. D-Wipe lead removal wipes for hands and face before getting in the car. Shower when I get home.

Probably overkill, but still something I'll continue to do.

I will agree here. It's not so much the lead dust from firing the round but the lead styphate fumes from the primer. Our National Guard Armory .22LR range was closed permanently by OSHA and that was the reason given to us.

I figure I've made it this far that I now try to minimize my risks. Besides, my wife is quick to point out that an extra bath or two helps me more than I realize.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top