Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Truck gun (again)

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by MikeE, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Good article. I especially like this concluding line:

"If you feel your life is worth a $500 AR15 – you may need to reassess your life. I honestly believe your life is worth at least a $1000 AR15 and lots of training."

https://primaryandsecondary.com/2015/05/trucktrunk-gun/

willseeker likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

My life is worth about $150, if I'm to understand that my life is only worth the value of the gun I'm using to defend myself with.

Or $0.75 if we are talking the price of the hollow point I'll be sending down range with my gun.

Honestly, I'd trust my life to my $100 12ga "Honey" any day or night of the week.

I'd rather have a reliable gun then an expensive one.

3. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

"In a discussion on Facebook"... First sentence pretty much sums up the value of this asinine article.

orygun, ocarolan, timac and 4 others like this.
  4. Deebow

Deebow Portland Well-Known Member

With modern machinery, a $500 AR-15 is a pretty good deal that will work every time you press the "BOOM" switch. There have been more than a few police officers killed by a 150 dollar high point when they had a 600 dollar Glock.

Invest in the best equipment you can afford (including a "truck" gun) and spend some money to learn how to be better with the gun you have. You will need a functioning gun more than you will need a pretty gun.

Either you are the weapon and the gun is the tool or the gun is the weapon and YOU are the tool.... :s0114:

jim97701, Micko, Stepside2000 and 5 others like this.
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I won't leave a gun in the truck for someone to steal. If I think I will need a gun then I carry one.

6. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

That is dead on to me. Some of my guns are not the most valuable...to some. Yet I know I have fired many rounds and trust them more than I would any random 1100 dollar 1911 right now. Someone mentioned High point and I trust my carbine rifle that was 150 much more than the crap kimber I bought once upon a time (I was mesmerized by the beauty and ignored the forum warnings).
    I just think people assume more money equals better guns way to often anymore. Do some research crazy people! Even 500 dollars has been enough to buy my SP101 or Glocks both of which I trust more than many more expensive pieces. People can say they do not like those guns as I am not a huge Glock fan either but they do always work....Because I clean them fanboys not because they just always work!!

Oathkeeper1775 and Joe13 like this.
  7. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I saw an article in a gun magazine that had 'truck guns' the .22 started out at $450 and the center fire bolt gun was like $1200. Those aren't truck guns...

8. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Truck Gun............................;)
    truck gun.jpg

9. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

hell yeah!!! and Russian surplus at that.

10. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I thought the point of a truck gun was to engage someone who had a vehicle for cover. Sure, it's nice if it's cheap and rugged enough that you don't care about it bouncing around in the heat and cold for years at a time, but the most important difference vs. a HD gun is the need for barrier penetration at short to moderate range.

Like this one, which can be legally concealed in your truck if you have a CHL:

Nick Burkhardt likes this.
  11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I've seen standard 12ga slug go through both doors (windows down) of an older/heavy car, through a standard type handgun vest and the ballistic simulator wearing it. My shotgun cost about $100.

ConcreteJungle and chemist like this.
  12. chemist

13. Who The F R U

Who The F R U Rainier Oregon Well-Known Member

Another truck gun.................
    Browningbeltfed50cal_00011.jpg

mjbskwim likes this.
  14. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

land rover snow 2.jpg

ocarolan and mjbskwim like this.
  15. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

If he feels that he needs a $1000 AR or else he is somehow compromising, then I have to seriously doubt his intelligence or his integrity. Because he is either just not smart enough to put together an AR (which you can do with few to no compromises for well less than $1000), or he is pimping for a high end AR company without disclosing it. Either way, the conclusion he came to is so wrong as to be laughable.

Certaindeaf and gaijinsamurai like this.
  16. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

x2. A bare-bones AR, with quality BCG, barrel, and lower internals is really all a person needs. Slap on sights and whatever furniture suits your taste, and you're good to go.

17. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

Whether you keep the gun in the "truck" all the time makes a difference on what constitutes a "truck gun" If your out in rural areas /farm probably gun in truck is much common. In urban areas keeping a gun in a vehicle is just plain stupid and dumb. If you think you need gun get a CHL and learn how to care for it and use it effectively.

gaijinsamurai likes this.
  18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Didn't click.
    I don't think I'm following you. I think we're talking truck guns so your "conceal" barb is what?. a barb? And.. dood.. locked up? I think they've had locks on trucks for a couple hunderd years now. what?

19. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Eugene Well-Known Member

well said!

20. chemist

Certaindeaf,
    Your CHL only applies to sidearms, so an accessible long gun inside your vehicle is forbidden. IIRC there's a specific exception for transporting a long gun to/from a shooting event, like going to the range.

Barefoot African likes this.