JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last week I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with the intent of keeping it in my truck (a 1995 Ford F-150 regular cab which is also new-to-me). I'd like to keep the rifle broken down in it's stock bag (23" long, 9" wide and 6" deep) but I'm not quite sure where to put the bag and how to secure it against theft. I picked up an aluminum gull-wing bedbox, but the locks are your standard light weight truck box locks and I don't know that I trust it in there. That leaves the cab; I plan on getting one of these to organize all my stuff behind the front seats:

Dee Zee CO-75 Cab Organizer : Amazon.com : Automotive

Maybe there would be a way to mount a lockbox to/through the cab organizer? Any ideas?

I have had the same problem. I have a '99 Chevy Tahoe and had issues with a Remington 870 with 18.5" barrel. That has since been replaced with a semi-auto Mossberg 702 22lr with 2 magazines and 120 total rounds. Currently it is in the truck in a simple gun sock, with 2 loaded magazines and a 100 round CCI box with assorted 22lr loads rubber-banded together inside. It isn't a long term solution and I don't know even if the gun is long term. I wish I had more to offer, but I am trying to find a real solution myself wihout spending a minimum of $300 on some sort of custom setup. For me, the weapon can be concealed easy enough. I am looking for something that keeps the gun from constantly shifting and getting beat up(cosmetics mean nothing, but at some point function can be an issue.) while still remaining relatively accessible.

I like the idea of the Ruger Takedown and if I owned one it would actually fit perfectly into my rig in it's case. Of course, then I'm back at spending over $300 for a truck gun setup rather than using what I have. I would consider simply strapping the case to the floor of the truck(under the seat?). That only works if you have the concealment. Strapping it to the floor in the wide open doesn't help. I personally don't see that cab organizer doing anything for me. I think something like that could attract potential thieves. In my opinion, putting it securely under the seat in a way that attracts no attention is the key. It can deter potential thieves and doesn't look like you are securing something of value. That's my opinion. Whatever direction you take, I wish you the best of luck. A Ruge Takedown with a few BX-25 mags and a few hundred rounds is quite the survival/ranch/varmint/whatever gun.

For years I carried a Marlin Model 70 semi-auto .22 in a vinyl fabric cab organizer with integrated gun scabbard. I later added another sort of layered over the top of the first one to keep a short-barreled Mossberg 500 handy. This was in a 1993 Ford F-350 Regular Cab pickup.

I am tall enough that I keep the seat back most of the way, but not all the way. The cab organizers are not really visible and the guns stow out of sight even with the seat back folded forward if you push them into the scabbard far enough that the butts don't protrude. You have to swing the scabbard out from the back wall as you pull the gun out in order for the butt to clear the rear door frame, but it isn't really an issue if you practice it a little.

If you have a Concealed Carry license, you can even keep them loaded in Salem and the other places that prohibit guns and ammo in the cab.

I have considered adding structure to the seat back to put the organizers there, since they would be much more accessible with the seat back folded forward. Disabling the seat back latching mechanism would make access even quicker.

If you keep a bunch of mundane stuff in the organizer pockets, like gloves, maps, etc., most people don't look close enough to recognize the hidden scabbard.

Here is a link that has good photos of the organizer. I think I got mine at NAPA, but it could have been another auto parts store.

IH Truck Cab Organizer - International Scout Parts - Scout II Parts - Your Authorized IH Lightline Dealer

I don't even buy Scout Parts from Scoutparts.com, there are very few things they have that no one else does, and most likely it can be found cheaper somewhere else.

Case in point.

JC Whitney

I found it other places online, for 8-12 bucks, but I don't know the sellars, so I am not going to recommend them.

For IH parts, I go to IH Parts America. Everyone who works there is an IH enthusiast, they all drive them and work on them. They aren't just selling part, but will make sure you get the right thing and give you what tech support you may need to get it installed correctly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top