JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have hidden guns in both my car and truck. Both hand guns. In the car it is an XDS in 45acp with a 5 round flush magazine and an extra 6 round magazine. In the truck I keep a Kahr CM45 with an extra extended magazine.

Both are hidden but accessible. Sorry I am not willing to share my hiding places on a public forum.

I also keep extra IWB holsters in the vehicles in case I should need to carry one. I usually pocket carry but that is near useless while sitting in a vehicle. When I am in a crime infested dump like Portland I almost always will carry the car guns on me instead of leave them in the empty car. Mostly because I wan't the extra protection of a .45 acp to augment my 9mm pocket pistol as I navigate through the street slime of Portland.

Last Edited:
Many local jurisdictions in Oregon ban loaded magazines, clips and speed loaders if you don't possess a CHL.
It is illegal to carry a rifle in your truck, loaded, in Oregon. Whether its concealed or not. Same with Washington.

If you have a CHL you can carry a loaded handgun (including ar pistols) in your car. Concealed or in open sight. Same with washington.

guns should be on body, not in vehicle if at all possible. esp those magnet "holders"--good luck with a heavy loaded missile bouncing around your car in a crash

console vaults are ok, but only fit in larger trucks

Also, as @CamoDeafie has previously pointed out, open carry without a CHL is only legal if you carry said pistol in a belt holster. Apparently shoulder holsters don't count. :s0140:
A long gun on a sling could be considered "concealed" and "unlawful possession", if person don't have valid CHL :s0140:

"(a)Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;"

"(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;" looks like loaded rifles ok in vehicles? :s0139::s0136:

"(3)Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section."

"(4)-
(a)Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b)If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(c)If the vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or

(B)The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

Yeah, edit with additional pertinent info regarding firearms in vehicles for Oregon.
The WA RCW is on page 1 of thread

Last Edited:
I do not see anywhere that says chl allows rifle as well in Oregon
"(a)Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;"

Also see

"(i)A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.

(2)It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating ORS 166.250 (Unlawful possession of firearms) (1)(c)(C) that the person has been granted relief from the disability under ORS 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or receiving firearm)."

Edit. ORS 166.260 defines all who are not affected by the ORS 166.250 prohibition of carrying concealed or openly firearms or in vehicles.

The better question is, do you see where it is expressly forbidden? Laws are written to say you can't do something. They don't write laws to give you permission.
I guess you have a good point there. Because I see where it says "cannot carry a loaded firearm (not specifically rifle or pistol) in vehicle" and then the exception is people who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

That's good to know actually. Although I'm probably not going to stop at Jantzen Beach on my way to the jobsite and pop my rifles magazine in ha ha.

I guess you have a good point there. Because I see where it says "cannot carry a loaded firearm (not specifically rifle or pistol) in vehicle" and then the exception is people who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

That's good to know actually. Although I'm probably not going to stop at Jantzen Beach on my way to the jobsite and pop my rifles magazine in ha ha.
F Potland

Example of truck gun, picked up someone at airport other day at 2 am. Cell phone waiting lot huge area with dim lighting and only one other car. Perfect place to have a 5.56 pistol in my sling bag. Throw it on pass footwell with zipper open and you can be ready in about 2 seconds if needed (Fe if suspicious car of hoodies rolls up you can have it sitting in your lap). When get home just zip it and carry away.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top