JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Probably this was discussed before here, if that's the case, point me to the right thread.

I want to go camping in the Redwoods in the summer with my family. I know that the Oregon CCW is no good in California... but can I have my gun locked in a box in the trunk of the car?

If your pistol is one on the approved list in CA. Or you are just passing through. You would be OK. If your pistol is not on the approved list and your going to CA as your destination. I believe you would have a problem.

You might want to go to the CA DOJ web site and do some reading.

10 round mag max ammo out of gun locked in box in the trunk, That's how I bring my gun to Cali. The Red woods might have laws against having it loaded but if it's in your car locked what good is it when you need it.....
Personally I would bring an ax, mace, flashlight and whistle. No one could say anything about that stuff and it's all very useful.
If your really concerned about protecting your family against animals get the bear spray foam and keep the food in a sealed container off the ground hanging from a tree.
If your worried about People I would bring an machete and keep it in your tent.
Ask at the ranger station about any incidences involving animal attacks or robberies it should ease your mind.
Have a safe fun trip!

I think CA considers your tent and maybe campsite acceptable places to have a loaded gun without their permit. I'm also not sure if things change depending on which govt agency manages the land.

I'd look through the calguns site or wiki for more info.

Definitely consult the California DOJ website. Additionally, if you will be camping in a National Forest (US Forest Service jurisdiction) you may have more liberty with your pistol...but check first! Whatever you do, DO NOT assume the rules are the same from county to county, and onto and between State and National Forest land. Generally speaking the USFS streamlines their rules with the surrounding state, with some exceptions.

More importantly (and not related to guns as much) you cannot take fire prevention seriously enough in California in the summer. The place is a tinder box in the summer (and a beautiful one at that) and the state and Feds do not mess around with careless disregard for wildfire considerations such as campfires, stoves, cigarettes, etc...

But for God sake have fun. I love that area. The landscape will make up for the BS. Don't take Sacramento's stupidity out on the rest of the state. I know you only asked about your gun, so forgive my tangent.

Probably this was discussed before here, if that's the case, point me to the right thread.

I want to go camping in the Redwoods in the summer with my family. I know that the Oregon CCW is no good in California... but can I have my gun locked in a box in the trunk of the car?

California law does not require for handgun to be locked specifically in the trunk while transported, but rather "a locked container such as trunk of a car". It is a consensus among Calguns legal minds that a backpack with a padlock on the zipper would qualify :)

If your pistol is one on the approved list in CA. Or you are just passing through. You would be OK. If your pistol is not on the approved list and your going to CA as your destination. I believe you would have a problem.

You might want to go to the CA DOJ web site and do some reading.

This is incorrect. Approved list only relates to which handguns can be sold by FFL's in California.

I think CA considers your tent and maybe campsite acceptable places to have a loaded gun without their permit. I'm also not sure if things change depending on which govt agency manages the land.

I'd look through the calguns site or wiki for more info.

That's correct. Calguns Wiki would be a great source of info. <broken link removed>

Specific thread on camping with guns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Definitely consult the California DOJ website. Additionally, if you will be camping in a National Forest (US Forest Service jurisdiction) you may have more liberty with your pistol...but check first! Whatever you do, DO NOT assume the rules are the same from county to county, and onto and between State and National Forest land. Generally speaking the USFS streamlines their rules with the surrounding state, with some exceptions.

CA DOJ website is known to have incorrect information. It is better to check Calguns forum or the wiki as was suggested, or look directly into the Penal Code. California has state preemption, counties are not authorized make gun ordinances other than related to discharge of firearms. State law prohibits carrying of loaded firearms (without CCW) where discharge is prohibited.

Thanks for the link to calguns. We're headed to AZ with a 3-4 day stop in CA. Naturally I want to take some of my guns with me and and checking to see what is legal.
Guess I'll leave my AK-74, AR and Taurus Judge at home even if my Judge is a 2" barrel on and not the 3½" one cited on the calguns site. I'll just have to be sure my Kahr P45, CM9 and Charter Arms .44 Spec are unloaded and locked up while driving. Would like to take my Kel-Tec SU-16C but I guess it's illegal too as it can be fired while the stock is folded. The 20" barrrel shotgun with pistol grip and folding stock seems to be OK too. But, it's illegal to sell in CA but maybe not posses! Just have to watch the 30 rd mags. Back to the calguns site.

Nope, forget the Judge no matter what length the barrel is.

Last Edited:
Guess I'll leave my AR-74, AK and Taurus Judge at home even if my Judge is a 2" barrel on and not the 3½" one cited on the calguns site.

AK is easily convertible by removing the pistol grip, if that's a standard AKM-type rifle (no folding/telescopic stock, vertical forward grip or flash hider). Once you get to AZ, you can put it back on :) Standard magazines would have to be disassembled too though.

Also I wasn't sure what is AR-74 - if that's an AR chambered for 5.45, it can be transported without modifications with upper removed from lower. There is no constructive possession under California AW ban.

You couldn't pay me enough to visit Kommiefornia. I keep hoping the entire state will slide off into the ocean.

Agreed, as long as the part with the redwoods can get absorbed into Oregon, with our laws.

I wont ever go to SoCal, but my wife and I are planning on a little trip to see the redwoods this summer. We are going to stay at one of those KOA campsites in one of the little cabins, and my S&W M66 .357 will most definately be making the trip with us.

Just to be sure, Ammunition must be removed from the weapon being transported and stored in a seperate container from the firearm. Also, in California; a loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded weapon. Have a nice trip! Be safe!!

Just to be sure, Ammunition must be removed from the weapon being transported and stored in a seperate container from the firearm. Also, in California; a loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded weapon. Have a nice trip! Be safe!!

From the Calguns site:
It is legal to transport your handgun to anyplace where it is legal to possess.

Penal Code provides an exemption for transporting a handgun concealed; typically one uses a completely enclosed locked container to transport an unloaded handgun. Trigger locks, cable locks and other devices are not useful to avoid violating the concealed weapon law.

Ammunition may be carried in that locked container, in magazines or speed loaders, so long as no ammunition is actually in the handgun.

The container may be carried anywhere in a vehicle; transport is not restricted to a trunk.

Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

Other than 'assault weapons', for vehicle transport there are no 'destination' or 'route' limits so long as it is legal to possess a firearm en route or at the destination.

Guess I need to unload the .44 special in the locked container in the van and get one or two of the handgun containers out and a lock for them.

Luckily we'll only be in CA for a few days, then on to AZ where I can carry concealed again! Coming back I'll try to avoid CA if I can.

Just look here Traveling with Firearms in California | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

And deen...you andd CalGuns are correct, Sir.

I was so paranoid last trip I disassembled my 1911, kept it, the ammo and magazines in three different locked containers.

Note how AG doesn't mention Federal law in there. In Oregon one doesn't have to worry about it if one has a CHL, but California doesn't issue to non-residents, thus Federal GFSZ law applies in most of the cases.

Note how AG doesn't mention Federal law in there. In Oregon one doesn't have to worry about it if one has a CHL, but California doesn't issue to non-residents, thus Federal GFSZ law applies in most of the cases.

I wish we were just passing through but we're staying in CA for about four days so I lose the safe passage laws.

Yeah, real joy. So many firearms we can buy in Oregon that are illegal in California. Those .22 cal rifles with threaded muzzles for instance.

This leave me with a question I'll have to research. During several of the International Revolver Championship matches in Morro Bay (near San Luis Obispo) the attendees almost took over a California state park camp ground and for a few evenings there were all sorts of banners advertising revolver clubs and attendees cleaning their firearms right there in the open.

Of course, that WAS about 10 years ago.

Your trunk is considered a locked container by itself.

You can have loaded magazines in the same locked container; THEY CAN NOT BE IN OR ATTACHED TO THE FIREARM. (Some holsters have a magazine pouch-- don't store both the gun and magazine in the same holster, as they now can be considered attached)

You can not bring in magazines over 10 rounds; any firearm with threaded barrels, grenade launcher(Yugo SKS)

California will disregard any federal laws and good luck trying to bring federal law up in any court but a federal court.

Prior to January 1, 2012, it was legal to openly carry an unloaded handgun in public. In October 2011, Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill that severely restricts the open carry of an unloaded firearm that took effect January 1, 2012.

If you are going to be in a school zone, I would recommend that you have your ammo and firearm separate, not in magazines, in a 2nd locked container.

Downloaded and print out this: <broken link removed>

In my opinion:
California is Occupied Territory
Do not expect the Rule of law to apply to your rights. I would not take any firearm into Kali.
I recomend Salmon ID in the heart of the Rocky Bear Tooth mtns absolutely stunning location, the south end of the valley has a great camp location on a stream/meadow
You are far safer there amongst the locals than in Kali

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads