JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I was hoping there might be some people on this site to help me better understand what I need to do for bringing my firearms into California. I've tried to do my own research, but many sites that I've looked at are somehow contradictory. I'll be moving there soon and I know some of what I have is not allowed there. I was told there are things I could do to make them legal, I was hoping people here could better outline that for me specifically with what I have. I will attach pictures for a better understanding. I have a beretta apx 17rd mag, Glock 19 15 rd mag, AR with a 30 rd mag, vortex 1-6 scope, slanted grip and sling, as well as a yugo m70 ak with a 30rd mag. I have a shotgun with a pistol grip, but I don't know if pistol grip shotguns are legal there either. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to share info with me!

51EC9728-A9B5-4D7F-ADC4-D9B8D74C38BE.jpeg 54A4C85A-F8E9-49F4-8DDC-FB093843E349.jpeg B18BADEC-AE73-4129-B109-0AC2A13FEC15.jpeg 0E63136B-3602-4924-BC5C-1450F8DCDE0E.jpeg

If it were me, I would pose that question on the calguns.net forum. People living in purgatory are likely better informed about what's allowed through hell's gates.

Just sayin.....

Last Edited:
Check out the California DOJ/AG's site......about bringing firearms into CA.

Mind you that, it's just a start.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....LOL. There was a time when I briefly thought about moving to CA. BUT.....besides the gun laws, you might want to look at the TAX situation.

1664735366530.png

1664734958594.png

Aloha, Mark

PS....BUT, But, but.....keeping more to the subject.

The following videos were from 2 years ago.

*****NOT LEGAL ADVICE******
I'm NOT a CA Lic. Attorney. Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Things change ALL the time.

Last Edited:
You might want to start at posts like the following:

The main issues will be dealing with configuration changes to so called assault weapons and magazine capacity over 10 (until the current magazine lawsuit hopefully sorts this out once and for all.)

Good luck with your move...

So called AW - fins or other featureless changes

Mags - block them in advance

Note: Certain non CA Roster hanguns currently bring more than double non-California prices and can be sold by PPT (private party transfer)

Well, I guess some folks do move there, but I moved up to Oregon in 2019 to get away from that stuff.

Short answer:

As things stand in 2022 (if you read this later, better check again, the CA Legislature is back in session at the end of December ...)

You may NOT bring in mags GT 10 rounds, assembled or disassembled, for any gun. You will need 10-rounders.

Any gun you move with must be registered - create a CFARS account California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) and do it on-line. It's $19 for all the guns you register in 1 transaction - not $19 each, $19 total. New Resident Report is what they call it.

This is important both because it's a misdemeanor not to register, but also because registering puts them in the CA Automated Firearms System (AFS) and you need an entry there with your current address so you can do the $1 background check to buy ammo. You cannot buy ammo online unless you have it shipped to a CA FFL and do the background check.

Once you get CA ID, you can also sell the guns instead of register.

Bring all the ammo you like when you move - CA does not care. Once a resident in CA, do not go out of state, buy ammo, and bring it back to CA - that's a no-no.

Handguns you move into CA with are not subject to CA's silly Roster of Handguns. A few with threaded barrels or mags outside the pistol grip can be classified as illegal 'assault weapons' but seems not to be the issue here.

Pistol grip pump shotguns are OK IF they are long enough - General requirements are 18" minimum barrel length, 26" minimum overall length.

Your AR and Yugo AK must be in CA-legal configuration before you cross into CA.

They must be either 'featureless' or 'fixed magazine'.

'Featureless' means fixed stock, no pistol grip (the fin thing is the common change), no flash hider, no forward pistol grip - I don't recall if that angled one you picture is a problem.

'Fixed magazine', by law, means "(b) For purposes of this section, "fixed magazine" means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action." See https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=30515.

You might ask at Calguns about how to make an AK 'fixed mag' - I don't have any AKs so never had to fiddle with that.

I'm also Librarian at calguns.net.

Any gun you move with must be registered - create a CFARS account California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) and do it on-line. It's $19 for all the guns you register in 1 transaction - not $19 each, $19 total. New Resident Report is what they call it.

This is important both because it's a misdemeanor not to register, but also because registering puts them in the CA Automated Firearms System (AFS) and you need an entry there with your current address so you can do the $1 background check to buy ammo. You cannot buy ammo online unless you have it shipped to a CA FFL and do the background check.
This is critically important! Failure to register means you will be excluded in the next gun owners private information dump to the internet!!

:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads