JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So going to be passing thru hellifornia to go back up to brookings,does anyone know if I can keep my unloaded gun and ammo in the same lockbox.the 6 hour round trip drive almost seems worth it not to have to conform to there commie sucking rules.

I would look up the laws in California and read them for yourself. But from my understanding in California ammo and gun have to be in separate lock box.

If it was me I would follow the rules. It's not worth loosing your gun rights over if you are just passing through and get pulled over. :confused:

I tried looking them up before I posted,I only found info that says it just has to be unloaded and locked up.no loaded magazines but I can't find anything about what to do with unloaded ammo.i want to stay within there rules no matter how much bs they are.

I have made that trip numerous times. When the bug stations were open, I stopped just outside Cave Junction and unloaded it and put the piece and ammo in the toolbox. Left it there until I crossed into Oregon and stopped at the co op just past the border and put it all back on.

The bug stations are seldom open anymore, and I have not been down there in a couple years, but I still stopped and moved it to the toolbox. I seem to encounter wrecks there and stop to assist and invariably encounter a CHP officer, but I usually know most of the EMS people from Fort Dick to Gold Beach.

We came in from the north and stopped at the wifes brothers in Brookings for dinner. I had a Ruger 9mm in the console of the pickup as was normal. We were staying down in Crescent City, and we headed down there. Did not give the piece a thought and came around the corner in Crescent City and there was the Commifornia random stop everybody check point. I quickly remembered the the 9mm, but the wife and I both had ID's, insurance cards, registrations in hand since we were used to military base protocol. Handed my license to the 20 year old cop, he commented on my CDL being fine and off we went. Dodged one there. Loaded 9mm in easy reach in a Commie state. I would still be in jail.

The chances of encountering LEO between Cave and Brookings is pretty slim if you behave yourself, there is usually a CHP between 101 and the tunnel, and somebody will wreck out in the canyon so you should be good. Watch your speed on 101 from 199 north, there is usually a CHP between Crescent City and the Oregon border.

I have made that trip numerous times. When the bug stations were open, I stopped just outside Cave Junction and unloaded it and put the piece and ammo in the toolbox. Left it there until I crossed into Oregon and stopped at the co op just past the border and put it all back on.

The bug stations are seldom open anymore, and I have not been down there in a couple years, but I still stopped and moved it to the toolbox. I seem to encounter wrecks there and stop to assist and invariably encounter a CHP officer, but I usually know most of the EMS people from Fort Dick to Gold Beach.

We came in from the north and stopped at the wifes brothers in Brookings for dinner. I had a Ruger 9mm in the console of the pickup as was normal. We were staying down in Crescent City, and we headed down there. Did not give the piece a thought and came around the corner in Crescent City and there was the Commifornia random stop everybody check point. I quickly remembered the the 9mm, but the wife and I both had ID's, insurance cards, registrations in hand since we were used to military base protocol. Handed my license to the 20 year old cop, he commented on my CDL being fine and off we went. Dodged one there. Loaded 9mm in easy reach in a Commie state. I would still be in jail.

The chances of encountering LEO between Cave and Brookings is pretty slim if you behave yourself, there is usually a CHP between 101 and the tunnel, and somebody will wreck out in the canyon so you should be good. Watch your speed on 101 from 199 north, there is usually a CHP between Crescent City and the Oregon border.

Yea I had a 250 dollar meeting with one about 10 miles from the border.

I lived there a while. 2 Separate lockboxes. 1 loose round in the same locked case as your gun is considered a loaded weapon. I do not know if Ammo has to be locked these days, but to be safe, I would.

I don't know how much ammo you're going to carry but Bi-Mart sells a small lockable container I use when I go thru. Off I-5. The last few times they didn't ask if i had any firearms but I wasn't driving my lowrider. I don't travel unarmed anymore. Just play by the rules. The ha$$el isn't worth it. California gas prices alone is penalty enough.

Transporting Firearms in California

For those that don't want to click the link above because it's a Commiefornia website:

HANDGUNS
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like all laws, everything is a technicality (sp?). A gun is considered loaded if there are rounds in the magazine and that magazine is in the gun. There doesn't have to be a round in the chamber.

As long as those mags stay outside the gun, you're conforming to the law.

Here's the case that I use:
Untitled.png
I load up my mags (to save prep time @ the range) and put them into the designated slots. The handguns remain empty and the case is secured with two small Masterlocks. I've been pulled over once by CHP, informed the officer there were weapons in the vehicle and he checked the stuff in my trunk... he had no issues with it.

Sometimes if my trunk is full and I know I'm not stopping anywhere on the way to/from the range, I'll throw my rifles in the back seat. They're just in Allen soft cases, no lock. As long as they're unloaded and not covered with a blanket or gear (concealed), it's perfectly fine.

If I'm driving my girlfriend's SUV, there is no trunk. I just put the handguns/mags I that same locked case, rifles in their soft cases, extra ammo in my range bag... and it all gets pushed to the very back of the cargo compartment, well out of my (or any passengers') reach.

Basically the law is intended to make sure that when a LEO makes a traffic stop, that the driver doesn't have a loaded weapon within easy reach. Even if your glovebox, center console or whatever has a locking function... it's still within your reach and since the LEO can't see the weapon it's considered "concealed". And CA doesn't recognize any other states' permits... I know, stupid.

When I left there last year you couldnt carry your ammo in the same box as the firearm.. I have cops in my family that still live there and still say thats the law. Your firearm has to be locked in a box but ammo doesnt have to be locked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like all laws, everything is a technicality (sp?). A gun is considered loaded if there are rounds in the magazine and that magazine is in the gun. There doesn't have to be a round in the chamber.

As long as those mags stay outside the gun, you're conforming to the law.
I am 100% sure this is not how it actually works in CA. You don't want the hassle friends of mine have had. 2 locked boxes will spare you a potential legal case. As best as I can tell this is not required by law, but do you really want that headache?

I don't think anyone has mentioned, you can't bring any magazines over 10 rounds into CA. I took a trip last year specifically to visit a nice range and picked up a couple magazines just for that.

Also, a little padlock through the two holes in a plastic case or ammo box is considered locked so it is not that difficult.

Ammo needs to be removed from the mags. The mags and ammo and firearm need to be in separate lock boxes ex. Trunk, glovebox, and center consol. The firearm needs to be in a location that is not in arms length so it should be in the trunk. Also it is a felony to have a mag that has a capacity of more then 10 rounds. I beleive you can't have a mag cap of more then 5 rounds if you are going to LA. Good Luck.

So having a loaded M16 in the truck would be bad in California ?
Nope, that gay law only apply's to resident's or temporary resident's .
Not people passing through.

Ask me how I know...........:) I'll give you a hin't it had to do with a CHP guy on a bike.

You can even take All gun's that are illegal to own in Kalifornia to Kali and shoot them at any legal place to do so. As long as the gun's leave when you do.

Ask me how I know...........:) I'll give you a hin't it had to do with a CHP guy on a bike.

You can even take All gun's that are illegal to own in Kalifornia to Kali and shoot them at any legal place to do so. As long as the gun's leave when you do.

So a lodes m16 is cool but not a pistol,gotta love that backwards bubblegum state

You have to disassemble the weapon into its most basic bag of parts, then you have to register each part with the Kalifornistan Bureau of Freedom Denial, you have to get certified permit for each part and have said permit with part upon any demanded inspection. Each permit costs you $25. No one piece part can be within 20 ft of another piece part or within reach of any human being. Usually this requires either multiple trips to take each part alone through Kalifornistan, or, a carivan of vehicles maintaining required 20 ft distance, or, shipping parts separately through a FFL in KA to an FFL in your destination state. Oh, ammunition must be KA approved no lead, water, environmental, air friendly and be locked in a triple lock safe box registered with the state.

Yeah, this is so wrong.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top