JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not meant to be offensive here but... It sounds like you have no business teaching her. So for the love of marriage learn a lesson here. Many women learn shooting better from another women. Find a female instructor and buy your wife a course for Christmas. Many ranges have a ladies class, group or club.
For resources you may look at The Well Armed Woman.

My wife and I have been together long enough that I know what I can teach her and when to give up and hire a professional. I've nearly given up teaching her how to use black rifles and most plastic pistols. Now hand her a 1911 or my Sig p210 and she's a happy camper, her personal favorites are revolvers and cowboy guns. H3ll when one job had me working weekends she decided to take up cowboy shooting at our local club. If anyone ever decides to invade our home they're more likely to be staring at the barrel of a Colt SAA or a lever gun than a plastic 9mm. That works for me that's what she's most comfortable and good with.

So... my advice is, quit trying to teach her, leave the teaching to a professional and let her interest grow naturally. In the end you may find your wife can be a great range partner.

The real question here is: when's the divorce?

Hard to believe that first paragraph is written about someone you care about.

I don't agree. I had doubts (regarding safety) about someone close to me, but then I think she had someone get thru to her and she is better now - I think it was when she and her husband joined a range and probably had to go thru a safety instruction. I still think she needs instruction, especially for technique, but I am willing to pay a professional for a couple of lessons - I think she does better listening/learning from an unrelated professional teacher than a husband or father - and this is not uncommon. I suggest to the OP that he consider going that route.

The real question here is: when's the divorce?

Hard to believe that first paragraph is written about someone you care about.
To me, it appears the OP is dealing with reality as it is, not in a condescending manner that could result a disaster waiting to happen.
It is a blessing that he can recognize and identify the potential problems.
I too, have the good fortune to have a smart and loving woman in my life.
But, she is not wired with the mindset needed to deal with firearms.
Best,
Gary

Not meant to be offensive here but... It sounds like you have no business teaching her. So for the love of marriage learn a lesson here. Many women learn shooting better from another women. Find a female instructor and buy your wife a course for Christmas. Many ranges have a ladies class, group or club.

My wife and I have been together long enough that I know what I can teach her and when to give up and hire a professional. I've nearly given up teaching her how to use black rifles and most plastic pistols. Now hand her a 1911 or my Sig p210 and she's a happy camper, her personal favorites are revolvers and cowboy guns. H3ll when one job had me working weekends she decided to take up cowboy shooting at our local club. If anyone ever decides to invade our home they're more likely to be staring at the barrel of a Colt SAA or a lever gun than a plastic 9mm. That works for me that's what she's most comfortable and good with.

So... my advice is, quit trying to teach her, leave the teaching to a professional and let her interest grow naturally. In the end you may find your wife can be a great range partner.

^^This, you are trying to make calls that aren't yours to make.

I intend on her going through a beginning hand gun class at the local range. I'm trying to give her some familiarity so it's not all new. One 2 hour class isn't going to make her a safe shooter though unless I can do some things at home to reinforce. I may just see if she will take the class sooner and go from there. Thanks,

Sign her up for a fairly comprehensive beginners gun course, especially if you can find a good one for women, taught by a woman, this takes it out of your hands. Rather like going to court where it's best to bring someone that speaks that language.
Even then, you may want to keep up range as much as possible till she is up to your snuff.

Sounds familiar.
Make her your "shooting bunny."
If she's like someone I know, she'll get super-duper turned on while shooting.
That definitely has its benefits *BUT* when she's shooting, you can never be more than a hard-on's distance away, lest she sweep everything in the horizon and/or shoot you.

I'm getting back into shooting and my wife wants to shoot also. But I don't think she has what's needed to be a gun owner. It's a difficult thing to describe. She isn't detail oriented, doesn't care to know how things work, she just wants to use things, doesn't want to put any effort into anything unless it's the fun parts, if she does put in any effort, it's as little as possible, she doesn't read instructions or follow directions well. She has a hard time assembling anything or fixing something that comes apart. Almost like a lack of spatial awareness, I sometimes think if you gave her one of those tests of putting different shaped blocks into the proper holes, she would fail at it. A couple of specifics, we saw a gun on youtube and she wanted that one because she liked the color of it. Also I've been trying to do 5 minute training sessions in the evenings to get her familiar with a gun I have, how to load a magazine with ammo, put the magazine in the gun, work the slide, hold it, use the sights, just general familiarity and repetition on the 4 safety rules. She hasn't wanted to do any of that and recently said that she needs to just go shoot it.

All this has made me think there are more people, other than the usual and obvious set, that should not own guns. I know there are some obvious traits of those that shouldn't own guns, but I'm thinking there may be other less obvious traits, either by themselves or combined, that also mean someone shouldn't own a gun. I'm just having a hard time summing that up into a cohesive description. Any thoughts?
Yeah well if she's anything like my wife do yourself a favor and don't let her see this.

^^^ This ^^^

I too, have the good fortune to have a smart and loving woman in my life.
But, she is not wired with the mindset needed to deal with firearms.
Same here.
I tried to get her interested in shooting, but she's just not.
How about some basic safety and self defense?
Nope.
Maybe a class with a female instructor?
NO!
..... okay.
So now, she doesn't try to involve me in craft-y projects (unless she needs something cut/drilled/grinder'd, etc) and l (mostly) leave her alone about guns and shooting.
Interest without the will to learn or become proficient is just fetishizing.

I'm ok if someone just isn't in to firearms. Not everyone will be, and that's perfectly fine by me.

@kevinv

How long you been married man???

Prob not too much longer, eh?

Lesson from the old guys.... "familiarity breeds contempt". That works both ways. You for her, and she for you. She knows you well enough not to listen to you. She sees your lips moving, but all she hears is "blah, blah, blah!

A wise old married man NEVER tries to "mansplain" or teach the lil woman. Leave it ALL to the pros.

Most women don't do well with mechanical gizmos. MY wife cannot operate the TV remote, much less clear a jam. But she can do other things real well. After the bb rifle or 22 rifle, get a revolver and let her learn pistola on that. I bet she will eventually outshoot you on slo fire.

Many women are attracted to GOC (guns of color). When I asked my daughter if she wanted me to build her a Polymer 80 AR, she wanted the entire gun in PURPLE. Think I disrespected that girl? Not if I ever wanted to see my grandchildren again.

Fail to heed these words at your own peril!!! :p;):D

If the "Four Basic Rules" of gun safety are followed the vast majority of the dangers of firearms handling are eliminated.

My wife is not mechanically inclined. She knows basically how guns work, semi auto, revolvers, bolt action. She's not much into the mechanics of firearms though. A safer person with a gun you'll never know. She drives a car just fine, doesn't know much about them either. Just the rules of safe driving, and to pay attention.

Does your wife drive? Without a bunch of infractions, accidents and tickets? She could be pretty deadly behind the wheel of a vehicle too.

Many women are attracted to GOC (guns of color). When I asked my daughter if she wanted me to build her a Polymer 80 AR, she wanted the entire gun in PURPLE. Think I disrespected that girl? Not if I ever wanted to see my grandchildren again.

:s0140:

Wifey wanted a purple/pink AR! She looks mighty good in purple too. But she's pragmatic and realized that might compromise resale value though.

Going to stereotype here, but much of the time husbands / BF should walk away and have someone else teach their SO's to shoot. They should ESPECIALLY walk away when they are looking at guns at the gun counter. My wife teaches women to shoot...all the time. I do as well but much more for her. Much of the initial work done is fixing issues because they were frustrated during previous "lessons." Seriously...walk away.

Stereotype again...there are clearly many exceptions but women typically don't care about the details (some do, worked with one who did recently). They want to know how to shoot. Spouses who might not listen to a husband are fine with other people (frustrating, I know). Yes, sometimes there are limitations, but let these come out and ideally they will discover for themselves what they are. Safety is the most important component and a spouse getting frustrated or raising their voice over a finger that stays on the trigger too long as the muzzle is moving in a bad direction will end the session quickly. Let a neutral third party, where there is not years of interpersonal relationship history, help eliminate that habit.

And for the next husband / BF who I hear in a gun shop with their wife say something like, "Here little lady, you need this lightweight, tiny, 5-shot revolver." I'm going to grab their wallet and personally tear up their mancard. That is, of course, unless my wife beats me to it!

Last Edited:
And for the next husband / BF who I hear in a gun shop with their wife say something like, "Here little lady, you need this lightweight, tiny, 5-shot revolver." I'm going to grab their wallet and personally tear up their mancard. That is, of course, unless my wife beats me to it!

Yah well, I didn't mean it THAT way! Only that if she doesn't do well with the extra mechanics and levers/controls of a pistol, as reported by the OP, that she MIGHT be ok with the simplicity of a revolver. The thing is, to get her out shooting and not destroy her enjoyment of it with a bunch of disrespect and demands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top