JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Due to various new scat piles that have appeared in the last month I believe a black bear may have taken up residency in my neighborhood (on a forested mountain well outside of any urban area).

They look like bear crap to me - except they are a bit small. Whatever it is, has been eating berries, cherries and animals (hair present in the scat). Most of the scat is black. I've seen black bear scat before, and except for this being a bit small for an adult bear, it looks like bear scat.

I am not worried - I know we have bears, cougars and coyotes up here - they have been seen.

I would just like to confirm what this animal is. I think my neighbors doubt my assertions that this may be a bear, so it wouldn't hurt to have pics.

I believe it has been frequenting my fruit trees (one of which is a cherry tree that never seems to have much fruit on it for long). So I would like to get a relatively inexpensive (under $100) trail/game cam (or two) to put in various strategic spots, attached to one of the many trees growing on my property, probably facing the back side of my fruit trees.

Naturally, it would need to be capable of taking pics at night, and I would prefer it to be color instead of B&W.

Thanks

I think BiMart had/has a sale on them until Thursday maybe.
Thanks - less concerned about saving a few dollars than I am about getting a decent value for the dollar.

There are plenty of cams out there for under $100, but I don't know which types or brands to avoid or prefer, and I don't know what features are unnecessary and which are really good to have.

I also don't know the tech or jargon.

Head over here for a PILE of info: http://www.chasingame.com/

I ran a Moultrie 50 IR for about 4 years, then it got some rain in it and died. Currently have
3 Bushnell's. Not sure of model---they are set out in the woods right now. I do know one has
the IR emitters is an "X" pattern. All are IR vs visible light for night pictures. All are lower end units, at least 2 of them came from Bi-Mart. You will not get night time color with any of them.

Poop looks like bear but smaller, with a lot of berry seeds and cherry pits? Is it by chance mostly
near the base of trees? My money is on Raccoon.

It isn't at the base of the tree.

The first two was right in the middle of my paved driveway about 100 feet from the tree. Both had obvious urination stains on the pavement, both within ten feet of each other, one about a month before the other.

The first had cherry pits and animal hair, the second did not and looked to be berries.

Then found one pile with cherry pits at end of road on gravel ramp off private road. Then found one in middle of forest trail with cherry pits - loose pile. It was new.

Then found new pile on newly paved private road (just finished wednesday), probably made yesterday or the night before, that was berries no cherries, again, with obvious urination stain on the pavement.

In my experience racoons don't do their business in the middle of roads - but bears do. I could be wrong, which is why I am curious now, and it wouldn't hurt to have some more intel - would be fun too.

I have seen deer when I first got here - they like the apples naturally. But then they seemed to not come around my property much anymore. I see them on the county road about once or twice a week though.

Neighbors and others have seen the coyotes and occasionally a cougar or two. No reports of bears, but they have to be up here. I have heard the coyotes at night - yipping at each other - never howling though.

Thanks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads