JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Police do know we have a CHL when they stop us. I like cops, especially OSP and have never had a problem. I see no reason not to put them at ease with hands at 10 and 2 and volunteering before they ask that I have a gun at 4:00. "Officer, I have a CHL and a Glock at 4 oclock, but you're in no danger. Friendly look on face.

Those guys have to stop strangers 24/7 and approach and I wouldn't want to do it. Why not be a nice guy?

Cheers

"Officer, I have a CHL and a Glock at 4 oclock, but you're in no danger. Friendly look on face.

If I used this approach, I'd have to say;

"Officer, I have a Glock 30 at 3 o'clock, a Glock 26 at 4 o'clock, a Glock 23 at 5 o'clock, a Glock 19 at 9 o'clock, a Glock 36 at 10 o'clock, a Ruger at 6-7 & 8 o'clock, a Kimber in the overhead, a S & W in the glove compartment, a AR 15 in the back seat, an AR in the front seat, a Mossberg over here, an AK-47 between the seats, a 50 cal in the bed of the truck, and a Sr-22 (which is for sale officer), in this box".....and these hand grenades right here.

But you're in no danger (REALLLLLY friendly look on face:eek:)

And for those reading this who are working for "National Security", I'm joking.....:D

I only own a 10/22 with a rusted barrel that doesn't work.

I'll bet that's the one I lost in the tragic boating accident. How'd you find it? :)

Before anyone else says it; "Because I'm a Bottom Feeder".:D:Do_Oo_O:confused::cool::cool:

Sorry about your accident.

I too lost some guns in the Hurricane of '02.......no, it was the floods of '95....no, wait, it was the sand storm of '06, no, I just remembered, it was the heavy winds of 2011......yeah, that's it...;)

So I know how your loss feels:(:(

I have only been stopped once in the last 20 years. Yes I made an illegal U turn. I handed the lady officer my CHL with my DL and she simply handed it back and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out;"
No Mam, I replied. She gave me a warning instead of a ticket and I was appreciative. YMMV.

This may be a tangetnial point, but it happens if/when a LEO tries a "catch 13" on you. Some never see it coming....

If the LEO asks you to get out of the vehicle (and you comply), and you leave a consealed firearm in the vehicle while the passenger(s) without a CHL (or a hunting/angling license) stays in the vehicle, the passenger just broke the law.

Especially if the passenger knows where the firearm is.

At that point, the CHL holder must insist the passengers exit first.

I hope this makes sense...

I have been asked this question several times and I advise the person to not say anything about being armed. You do not have to do so, so do not muddy the waters with volunteering information. If asked I advise that you tell the truth. Do not reach for the gun to show the Officer where it is as that may get a bad reaction. Just because the police stop your car does not mean they know you have a permit, they have to run you to determine that.

I received the first ticket I've gotten in 25yrs. yesterday. I handed the officer my license, CHL's, registration and proof of insurance.

He asked, 'Is there a firearm in the car today?'
'Yessir'
'Where?'
'On my hip, 4 o'clock'
'Ok, just leave it there, thank you.'

I didn't like the ticket part, but he was cordial and reasonable the whole time. So, I say, good on Clackamas County Sheriff's Office for that.

I received the first ticket I've gotten in 25yrs. yesterday. I handed the officer my license, CHL's, registration and proof of insurance.

He asked, 'Is there a firearm in the car today?'
'Yessir'
'Where?'
'On my hip, 4 o'clock'
'Ok, just leave it there, thank you.'

I didn't like the ticket part, but he was cordial and reasonable the whole time. So, I say, good on Clackamas County Sheriff's Office for that.

In thousands of traffic stops no one every (told me) they had a CHL or were armed...but that was back in CA so what do you expect! FWIW, I would have liked to have known but would not have done anything different (i.e. disarmed anyone). I might have asked what they had and if they liked it.
Found guns that were illegally carried but that is off topic.

This may be a tangetnial point, but it happens if/when a LEO tries a "catch 13" on you. Some never see it coming....

If the LEO asks you to get out of the vehicle (and you comply), and you leave a consealed firearm in the vehicle while the passenger(s) without a CHL (or a hunting/angling license) stays in the vehicle, the passenger just broke the law.

Especially if the passenger knows where the firearm is.

At that point, the CHL holder must insist the passengers exit first.

I hope this makes sense...

I am pretty sure if you have your gun in a place a non CC holder can get to it you are breaking the law as is. When I am in the truck alone the gun is often in my center console for quick access. When I have friends or family in there it is always on my person.
Even if that was not the law I would still keep it in a place only I control. I trust the in laws about as far as I can throw them....I actually think I can throw them further than I trust them..I kinda want to try...often.

What about if you're driving the car owned by someone else, he only thing they can pull up is the registered keeper of the vehicle, if you're not that person, they will not see your info.

I haven't been pulled over but i do wonder which way i would go, i see the reasoning and sense behind both sides.

I just had an encounter with an osp game officer. I gave him my dl but never mentioned the firearm or chl at all and he never brought it up.

ORS 166.250 allows for anybody lawfully hunting/fishing to carry concealed regardless of a carry permit.

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

(E) Was found to be a person with mental illness and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or

(F) Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b) If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(c) If a vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A) The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or

(B) The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads