JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Next morning I'd have a chat with mr hardasses Lieutenant! Very polite, very calm. Now he's the guy that doesent want to hear about it, and also the guy that knows that citizens have attourneys! Only did it once years ago but it worked rather nicely then.

I never argue with the cop on the scene! I have an excellent lawyer for that!

I know as fact, the DMV system can be down on occasion, During contact, L.E.O. will try to call in your plate. I wonder if it would be prudent to self disclose when first contact is made, Because when the system ( D.M.V. ) comes back online right in the middle of your traffic stop, is the L.E.O. going to get an attitude because you did not self disclose, when he finds out you CCW?

I know as fact, the DMV system can be down on occasion, During contact, L.E.O. will try to call in your plate. I wonder if it would be prudent to self disclose when first contact is made, Because when the system ( D.M.V. ) comes back online right in the middle of your traffic stop, is the L.E.O. going to get an attitude because you did not self disclose, when he finds out you CCW?

I'm not positive, but I believe the CHL is attached to your ODL, not plates.

THIS is the best advice.....o_O...NEVER disclose more than you have to, and never argue with them.

These guys that go around shooting these vids I have been watching have more .......let's just say they are "younger and stupider" than me............:D:cool:

BUT I appreciate their vids and information:D:D:D:)

Yeah I recommend recording but that does not mean you have to be a jerk. You likely do not even have to mention that you are. If you do it has already gone further than it ever should.

The guys that immediately point a camera in a cops face are.....I dunno I think you said it well.

I am sure this has been talked about a few times but as I read this story today I couldn't help to pose the question again.

http://concealednation.org/2015/05/...during-routine-traffic-stop-is-then-searched/

How to do handle a traffic stop or other action with LE while you have your CHL?

I think I would be upset if my carry was taken a torn apart and my mag cleaned out like this. I do know that I would go right to my trunk and put it all back together.

But When pulled over do you share with LE you have a CHL? I have yet to be pulled over since having my CHL but it would really be nice if some LE would share how they would like us to handle ourselves.

My CHL Instructor said to just give them your CHL when you give them your License and Reg and Insurance.

I have read others say that LE can take it as a threat. I'm not sure why they would but I guess its possible.

Any how just thought it may be a good subject to revisit.

If you are stopped for any violation - all the Officer has to do is run your driving record- along with that info - the LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System )- the Officer will be advised by dispatch or his MDT that you are a CHL holder. Normally it really does not make any difference - It really is not necessary to give your CHL to the Officer - Just give him your ODL/Proof of Insurance/and Registration - that is all that is necessary. Be polite and cooperative - a lot of time you can get off with just a warning - get pissy and the situation changes.

I'm not positive, but I believe the CHL is attached to your ODL, not plates.
Yes, True, but on initial contact, most Officers call in your car plate, before they approch your car to see who is driving. I know sometimes the system is down at dispatch..

Really it has nothing to do with the traffic stop.None of the guy's business.
Traffic cops need to understand that a CC person has had a back round check and is probably the safest stop they will make.There are very few cc holders that want to lose freedom or their weapons
And a $100 ticket ain't what's gunna set them off
Now if they want to push it then either lay down and tell them everything or start the recording cause they are just asking to make trouble.
There is no reason for them to ask unless they are scared. If that's the case they need to get another job.
End of story

I've been stopped twice by the OSP, on I5 both times, and each time the officer asked if I had a weapon in the car. I answered yes both times and they responded by asking for its location. I answered the question and asked how they knew and both times I was told they suspected I had a CHL because I shut the vehicle off, placed both of my hands in plain view on top of the steering wheel and kept them there until I was told to show my license and insurance info. Neither asked to see the weapon or even commented on it once I told them where it was. They were both very polite yet all business.
And just as an aside, I was not issued a citation either time, but released with a warning (i tend to drive with a certain amount of enthusiasm).

I've been stopped twice by the OSP, on I5 both times, and each time the officer asked if I had a weapon in the car. I answered yes both times and they responded by asking for its location. I answered the question and asked how they knew and both times I was told they suspected I had a CHL because I shut the vehicle off, placed both of my hands in plain view on top of the steering wheel and kept them there until I was told to show my license and insurance info. Neither asked to see the weapon or even commented on it once I told them where it was. They were both very polite yet all business.
And just as an aside, I was not issued a citation either time, but released with a warning (i tend to drive with a certain amount of enthusiasm).

An absolute, 100% agreement with Reggie! I handle stops exactly the same way! Bit of an enthusiastic driver too! Well said Reggie!:)

2 stories in 1 post...
1) I was pulled over for speeding one night, while on my way from Oregon to Washington. I was still in Oregon at the time, but I was not carrying at the time because I do not have a WA concealed permit. It was the first time I had been pulled over since getting my CHL, and I failed to hand him my CHL upon first contact. He promptly came back to the car and asked me if I was carrying. I said no, because I didn't have a WA permit yet. He asked why not! We proceeded to talk a bit, then he let me go with a warning. An educational experience and a very positive one at that.

2) My wife and I stopped for dinner one evening. I had to use the restroom, and had just that day read an article regarding concealed carry and public restroom stalls and how you should not leave your gun on your belt when you drop your drawers because someone could reach under the wall and grab it. So I unholstered my weapon, set it on the toilet paper dispenser (pointed at a concrete wall for safety) and went on with my business. I saw a pair of Spider-man flip flops come into the restroom, pause for a second, and walk back out quickly. I finished up, thinking he was waiting for the stall. We leave the restaurant, and within 30 seconds we had 2 Albany PD behind us, and who came up to the car with guns drawn. Turns out the kid told the his mom who alerted the manager, who called the police. The 2 officers told me that they each had gotten a report of a man with a gun and one of the reports was of someone being belligerent and threatening. I was asked where my gun was, then where my wallet was (both on my right side... something I no longer do) and I informed them that I was a CHL holder. They had my wife unlock the doors, they then opened the passenger side door for me and unholstered my gun, then let me reach for my wallet. I showed the officers my ODL and CHL, at which time they reholstered and became MUCH more pleasant toward me. My wife (to whom I had just been recanting the story of the article I had read and the encounter with the boy in the restroom) was driving at the time was beside herself that this had all happened. I ended up shaking both their hands, thanking them for their service and diligence, and we parted ways. Overall, the 2 interactions I have had with police since getting my CHL have been very positive, and now I know how to react when I have LEO contact.

2) My wife and I stopped for dinner one evening. I had to use the restroom, and had just that day read an article regarding concealed carry and public restroom stalls and how you should not leave your gun on your belt when you drop your drawers because someone could reach under the wall and grab it. So I unholstered my weapon, set it on the toilet paper dispenser (pointed at a concrete wall for safety) and went on with my business. I saw a pair of Spider-man flip flops come into the restroom, pause for a second, and walk back out quickly. I finished up, thinking he was waiting for the stall. We leave the restaurant, and within 30 seconds we had 2 Albany PD behind us, and who came up to the car with guns drawn. Turns out the kid told the his mom who alerted the manager, who called the police. The 2 officers told me that they each had gotten a report of a man with a gun and one of the reports was of someone being belligerent and threatening. I was asked where my gun was, then where my wallet was (both on my right side... something I no longer do) and I informed them that I was a CHL holder. They had my wife unlock the doors, they then opened the passenger side door for me and unholstered my gun, then let me reach for my wallet. I showed the officers my ODL and CHL, at which time they reholstered and became MUCH more pleasant toward me. My wife (to whom I had just been recanting the story of the article I had read and the encounter with the boy in the restroom) was driving at the time was beside herself that this had all happened. I ended up shaking both their hands, thanking them for their service and diligence, and we parted ways. Overall, the 2 interactions I have had with police since getting my CHL have been very positive, and now I know how to react when I have LEO contact.

I have to ask, Was it an open stall? How did the child see your pistol?

The stall and whole restroom was very small, and the crack between the stall door and the wall were very wide. There was not a baby changing station or anything else to set the pistol on besides the toilet paper dispenser. I could have put it in my left pocket I suppose, but at the time (I was also a bit preoccupied, being mid push and all) I thought it was all good. Lesson learned, I will be putting it in a front pocket next time.

The entire thing almost seemed surreal, especially since was literally telling my wife about the kid coming into the bathroom as we were being pulled over. As I said, it was a good learning experience, but it was also a bit nerve racking since I felt that I had done the right thing by not leaving my gun in the holster and I had never been drawn down on before. I know police would rather err on the side of caution and I don't blame them one bit... they don't know me from Adam and in this day and age you can never be too careful. It was suggested to me by a friend to check public record and see if I could find the report of "the other guy with a gun" because any LEO contact involving your CHL has the potential of being put in my permanent record and looked at in a negative light by a jury if the circumstance were to arise. I never looked into it, but i have often wondered if there is a valid concern along those lines.

Yeah I recommend recording but that does not mean you have to be a jerk. You likely do not even have to mention that you are....

That is a fast track to elevate a simple traffic stop to a misdemeanor which is an arrestable offense. Chances are if you have been pulled over you hear something like this..." Good evening sir, I'm deputy Fife with the Mayberry County Sheriff's office. Just to let you know our conversation is being recorded this evening. The reason I pulled you over is ....can I see your license, registration and insurance, please?"

Just my humble opinion but your best response if you are carrying? Let them know. It's common courtesy. Also in Oregon you must inform someone that you are recording them and LEOs are not exempt from disclosure (some exceptions). Hands at 10a and 2p..."Good evening Deputy Fife. Just to let you know I am also recording our conversation, and I wanted to let you know I am a CHL holder and my 454 casull is on my right hip."

If true and accurate, the cop in the story is wrong on so many levels. Totally over the top and illegal search and seizure, public safety issue by leaving a live cartridge on the ground...etc. Time for a call to his supervisor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top