Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Traffic stop with CHL

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by S3v3n, May 28, 2015.

1. S3v3n

S3v3n Beaverton, Or Active Member

I am sure this has been talked about a few times but as I read this story today I couldn't help to pose the question again.

http://concealednation.org/2015/05/...during-routine-traffic-stop-is-then-searched/

How to do handle a traffic stop or other action with LE while you have your CHL?

I think I would be upset if my carry was taken a torn apart and my mag cleaned out like this. I do know that I would go right to my trunk and put it all back together.

But When pulled over do you share with LE you have a CHL? I have yet to be pulled over since having my CHL but it would really be nice if some LE would share how they would like us to handle ourselves.

My CHL Instructor said to just give them your CHL when you give them your License and Reg and Insurance.

I have read others say that LE can take it as a threat. I'm not sure why they would but I guess its possible.

Any how just thought it may be a good subject to revisit.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

What you must do by law varies depending on your state, know the laws in your state.

As I understand it (I'm not a lawyer and you should double check yourself) in Oregon you are not required to tell the officer anything. In Washington, as I understand it, you legally have to tell the officer you have a firearm and you have a CWL.

I have a little bit of a lead foot, thus I have been pulled over a few times while driving. If I'm carrying, I quickly pull out my licence and CHL prior to the cop even getting out of the car. Then with that in hand, and hands at 10 and 2, I wait. When the officer asks me for my licence and registration, I hand the officer those first. Then I let him or her continue the conversation.

I'm a good guy, I'm showing them I'm a good guy by handing them this information up front. Letting them understand this information clearly and in a safe manor. I also never use the word 'gun' I use the word firearm. I'm clear with any answers on where it is located. Only once, in Nevada, have I had the officer ask for the firearm. I've never had an Oregon officer ask for it at a traffic stop.

Normally, I make sure I'm clear and polite with the officer. They are just doing their job, and just want to go home at the end of the day.

In the hypothetical situation where an officer did ask for my firearm, I would ask why they were doing that. I would also, prior to handing it over, ask for his badge number, full name, and write it all down. I would even go as far as to state I would start recording the exchange. Yes, this may be a risk but I would be very clear I'm now concerned about my rights being violated. If the officer has an issue with that, I would request they call for a supervisor. At that point, we are no longer both good guys being good guys. He is now insinuating I'm something else, thus I would do the same.

Of course, the hypothetical situation may never happen. Thus far, it has never been tested. Maybe I should stop being such a lead foot... Nah...

BoonDocks36 and NoFlinch like this.
  3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Don't bring it up or mention it unless they ask. Has nothing to do with the business at hand. No reason to bring guns into the interaction besides they already know anyway.

4. transient

transient SW Washington! New Member

I'd say just comply with whatever state law says: If you are required to inform an LEO that you are armed then do so, if you aren't, then don't.
    It's hard to see how a cop would feel threatened if you said "Penal Code Section A-B-C says I must inform you that I am armed, so I am doing so, and here's my permit". If it's the law they're probably used to hearing this. On the other hand, if the law doesn't require it, then you're just handing the cop some random piece of paper they don't need to see, and probably aren't used to seeing.

5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The Oregon police have the CHL information in their computer when they pull you over I believe.

If I was in that situation I would consult an attorney to see if I could sue to get some of my tax money back for an illegal search.

Best to also teach the police that a CHL holder has already been vetted by the police as someone who is low risk enough to carry a gun. gun + CHL = good person, not gun = bad person.

Also, I'd consider a carry gun that was considerably unusual to disassemble so they would have a hard time doing it and hopefully shoot themselves in the process.

6. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

As said they know when they run you that you have a carry permit. Nothing needs to be said. I was pulled over on 217 and the officer came back with my license and asked if I was armed. I asked "why" and he told me that he could see I had a CHL....Maybe saw it when I pulled out my license but I believe it pulls up with your info.

I had to start recording on my phone as I said he did not know what he was talking about and "concealed" means just that even with an officer. Once being recorded he backed off and called his supervisor who came and verified that I most definitely do not need to declare my gun or defend myself when i am being pulled over for speeding. First cop apologized and my hope was that he learned to not do it again. No reason to get upset just cover yourself as we all have phones that record for the most part. Once they know that is happening they will back off and make sure they are correct. If you simply argue without them knowing you are recording the situation they may take it as a threat. Just state your right to privacy and wait for the cop to figure it out.

Crappy that they are unaware sometimes or even just want to puff out their chest but protect yourself. If you have a carry permit it is not a bad idea to start recording right way. Likely will never need it or even need to let them know you are but why take a chance when the technology is sitting right next to you. I am sure not letting someone twist my words or actions as I have heard happening to others.

Cover your own butt and be sure you do know your rights. SOOO many cops are oblivious to the actual written laws and have a false sense of what they control and do not control. Just be polite but firm. Record record record.

Brutus57, parallax, NoFlinch and 2 others like this.
  7. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Oh snap! How do you disassemble a Ruger MK pistol?

parallax likes this.
  8. 40calruler

For most cops you could accomplish stumping them with any gun but a Glock.

parallax and BoonDocks36 like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

It does not say anywhere in Wa laws that you must tell the officer that you are carrying,hence you do not need to.
    I told the stater in montana and he looked at me like,So?. And said as much. Told me everyone here does.
    Now in Seattle,I wouldn't say a word.

WilliamIV and Brutus57 like this.
  10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

And I would want to say to the officer
    You saw I have a carry permit? Then you should be thankful right now,knowing I am an upstanding citizen that has had a FBI back round check.Did you know that less than 1% of CCP holder ever commit violent crimes? Golly,glad I could make your day and you don't have to worry while having me pulled over

Then ask something like
    Are we done here?

Brutus57 likes this.
  11. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

the problem with some cops is that it would be the equivalent of telling my mother in law that if she lost some weight her back pain wouldnt be as bad. It might be the correct and logical response, but you still might get shot if you said it.

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I like to rock them back on their heels with the war cry "I have a gun!". Everybody has a gun. lolz

parallax and blackadder like this.
  13. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

its not necessary to share if you have a handgun or not. only a courtesy. when i got pulled over for the first time with my chl i immediately put both hands visibly on the steering wheel with my insurance, chl, license and registration in my hands before the officer got to the window. it was dark out so ofcourse he had to blind me with his flashlight. he said "good evening, the reason i have pulled you over is for speeding blah blah blah. can i see your license...etc..." simultaneously while handing him my license and stuff my response was "good evening officer, for OUR safety i would like to share with you that i am indeed licensed to carry a concealed firearm. i am carrying right now and if you would like to see it you may,it is a glock 23, it is on my right hip in my waistband" he replied "Mr. Lindsey, it is everyones right to bear arms, i appreciate the courtesy, have a nice night." no ticket. just a warning. i got lucky. other experiences will vary.

Brutus57 and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  14. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I've been stopped 3 times in the last couple of years.
    Deputy approaches open drivers window, my hands visible on the top of the steering wheel with wallet in hand.
    Exchange greetings, I open wallet, hand him my license and insurance card, fully exposing my CC.
    Invariably they say "Mr B, I see you're licensed to carry, are you carrying now, and where is it?
    Me "yes, right hip inside waistband"
    They "Mr B, you keep yours in place, and I'll do the same"
    You were a little over the speed limit, watch that, have a nice day...
    You need to come to a total and complete stop, not a slow roll. Have an nice day...

Brutus57 and BoonDocks36 like this.
  15. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

LOL, you were speeding AND performed a Kommifornia stop?

F2CMaDMaXX and blackadder like this.
  16. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Nolo contendre

solv3nt likes this.
  17. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

I have found, having carried for 20+ years, that the OSP is very professional, and do NOT even flinch when dealing with CC.:D

The Jackson County Sheriffs dept. is full of Yahoos who would rather put you in cuffs "for your own safety" once they find you carry.:mad::(

The Medford Po--lice would rather shoot you first, and ask questions later.:mad::mad::(
    (not really, but I've dealt with many---because of my POSITIVE work in Medford--, and I don't like them at ALL)

I always consider the "Source" of the inquiry before I answer any questions..but If there were any doubt, I would IMMEDIATELY demand a supervisor be present......:cool:

The cops now days scare me, because they have LITTLE training for someone who could end my life.:rolleyes:o_O:confused::confused::confused:

I've been watching a LOT of vids on cop stops lately............:D:eek::)

18. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

this is all anyone needs to do, they know you have a carry as soon as they run your plates. Any further conversation is just volunteering information hey don't want to hear or deal with.

blackadder, BoonDocks36 and mjbskwim like this.
  19. 40calruler

For sure each department is very different. State patrol seems more well trained and versed on Oregon laws. Portland cops freak me out. I feel like half those guys became cops due to being bullied in school and now want revenge.

mjbskwim and NoFlinch like this.
  20. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

I feel that way about MOST cops worldwide:rolleyes:

parallax and 40calruler like this.