JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It would be helpful to know which moderator removes content at their discretion. #7 in the FAQ creates some difficulty in follow-up when content is removed completely but there's no clear spot indicating which moderator made the edits.

It would be helpful to know which moderator removes content at their discretion. #7 in the FAQ creates some difficulty in follow-up when content is removed completely but there's no clear spot indicating which moderator made the edits.

Doesn't need to be. It was edited or modified by a like minded moderator.

Anonymous edits ensure nobody is singled out when somebody gets butt hurt.
(that's how I see it)

Oh and +1 IBTL

I'm curious if it would be better to have the entire thread go away as opposed to just closing it. I'd guess that the mods don't interject unless they see poor conduct happening or get enough warning reports from a thread. Perhaps closing the thread, wiping all posts, and stating which code of conduct was violated might assuage some concerns?

I'm curious if it would be better to have the entire thread go away as opposed to just closing it. I'd guess that the mods don't interject unless they see poor conduct happening or get enough warning reports from a thread. Perhaps closing the thread, wiping all posts, and stating which code of conduct was violated might assuage some concerns?

I like that suggestion. To the other comment about them maintaining anonymity - obviously they can and do that. It seems like owning the moderation would allow for a PM conversation/question to occur without turning it into a whine session. Some may choose to whine, but if comments are deleted even if they're relevant to the topic it would help understand the mindset being applied.

Time is a huge factor, I work, go to school, I'm a single father and would like to actually date a couple times a week, doesn't leave much time to discuss every action and trust me "whining" is the rule not the exception...

If it's against the rules and it gets reported it gets dealt with in many different ways depending on the situation if we have to have a discussion on every incident you'd soon see moderators hanging from the rafters just to make the noise stop.

In the end the rules are the rules, we are all supposed to be responsible adults here, sometimes I wish members would just man up and take responsibility for their own actions.

Sorry for the rant.

I understand your point, but I think you can see why it's useful to understand why the application due to what often times seems like inconsistency. Honestly, for me if someone says, "you're too liberal and we prefer you not make fun of weak conservative positions" I'd think you're daffy but at least I'd know the measuring stick you use. Of if someone clarifies where the flaming does cross the line (and I think it's fair to say this is also fairly inconsistent in how it's applied) then it's easier to abide by the rules vs. forcing the moderators into work. There have been conversations in the past that seemed to abide by rules (not referring to mine in particular) that disappeared without clear understanding of why.

Ultimately I don't want to crucify mods for their edits, only to understand them. Just like posters should man up and follow the rules, same could be said for mods to do the same and educate posters as to why their comments were removed.

I understand your point, but I think you can see why it's useful to understand why the application due to what often times seems like inconsistency. Honestly, for me if someone says, "you're too liberal and we prefer you not make fun of weak conservative positions" I'd think you're daffy but at least I'd know the measuring stick you use. Of if someone clarifies where the flaming does cross the line (and I think it's fair to say this is also fairly inconsistent in how it's applied) then it's easier to abide by the rules vs. forcing the moderators into work. There have been conversations in the past that seemed to abide by rules (not referring to mine in particular) that disappeared without clear understanding of why.

Ultimately I don't want to crucify mods for their edits, only to understand them. Just like posters should man up and follow the rules, same could be said for mods to do the same and educate posters as to why their comments were removed.

Perceived inconsistency is perceived.

If the problem is with a liberal I will surely be accused of being a Republican, I can't count how many liberals have accused me of being a follower of Fox news and Glen Beck for absolutely no other reason than I challenged their beliefs with some real facts. The fact is I don't watch Fox or any other news and Beck is as despised by me as much as Obenfuror and Madcow I despise all pudits for the hypocrites they are.

If the problem is with a conservative I get accused of being pro liberal, part of the liberal media conspiracy and covering for Obama.

I have to say that your reply didn't seems to grasp the element of time management at all. Your reply mentions educating posters, you realize we have 18 thousand plus members?

If the problem is with a liberal I will surely be accused of being a Republican, I can't count how many liberals have accused me of being a follower of Fox news and Glen Beck for absolutely no other reason than I challenged their beliefs with some real facts. The fact is I don't watch Fox or any other news and Beck is as despised by me as much as Obenfuror and Madcow I despise all pudits for the hypocrites they are.

If the problem is with a conservative I get accused of being pro liberal, part of the liberal media conspiracy and covering for Obama.

I have to say that your reply didn't seems to grasp the element of time management at all. Your reply mentions educating posters, you realize we have 18 thousand plus members?

I use the political slant as an example, but to your point a phrase you no doubt are familiar with is "perception equals reality."

That said, regarding your statement on time management - I was unaware of a high post volume attributed to 18,000 contributors. How many posts/day does the forum see? Comparatively, I've seen forums with high memberships that move a thread from the front page to the fifth in a matter of a half hour; that's not my observation of behavior here although that may occur in subforums that I don't pay attention to. That said, the front page view I get (and check in on) often times shows little movement over the course of the day.

So while I get the idea of volume, I'm not sure how much of a factor that applies to this site so that's an opportunity for you to educate me on.

I use the political slant as an example, but to your point a phrase you no doubt are familiar with is "perception equals reality."

Yes but only to the particular individual perceiving their own personal reality, "perception certainly does not equal fact".

That said, regarding your statement on time management - I was unaware of a high post volume attributed to 18,000 contributors. How many posts/day does the forum see? Comparatively, I've seen forums with high memberships that move a thread from the front page to the fifth in a matter of a half hour; that's not my observation of behavior here although that may occur in subforums that I don't pay attention to. That said, the front page view I get (and check in on) often times shows little movement over the course of the day.

So while I get the idea of volume, I'm not sure how much of a factor that applies to this site so that's an opportunity for you to educate me on.

To put it shortly the mods duties here are overwhelming just dealing with fixing the reported posts alone and that is with no interaction with the affected members.

I have to put up a huge kudos for Deadeye, he has been shouldering the lions share of the volume just as I did before he came on as a mod when I had plenty of time to dedicate.

So yes to answer your question the problem solving volume is super high for a mod here, it's so high we can only be reactive to problems and not proactive. I personally feel we need two more mods as Deadeye will eventually burn out, the guy is like Superman and I wonder how long he can go on at this pace.

I don't know if the software has the capability, but I have seen other forums/comment sections where a deleted post is marked "Post deleted by author" or "Post deleted by moderator". If this were automatic, it shouldn't put much additional burden on the moderators except for the inevitable "Why was my post/thread deleted?" IMO, that should be communcated anyway, just for transparency's sake. As far as a moderator editing someone's post, I haven't looked but I would assume that the "last edited by" and "reason" would still be performed automatically.

I've never moderated forums (well, not ones that were actually used), but I have moderated IRC channels which were heavily used. It is a time-sucker.

elsie

I appreciate the effort the moderators go to but I think zapping threads without the courtesy of an explanation, or at least a note, is bull. I had two posts removed that were totally non-offensive. I think there may be a couple tin jesus mod's that hide behind the anonymity of deletion.

I've seen some posts that offended even me and they were allowed to stay. I've got to think that if those posts are surviving and other, milder posts aren't then the hatchet man is imposing his/her personal opinons instead of subscribing to a forum standard.

I appreciate the effort the moderators go to but I think zapping threads without the courtesy of an explanation, or at least a note, is bull. I had two posts removed that were totally non-offensive. I think there may be a couple tin jesus mod's that hide behind the anonymity of deletion.

I appreciate your point.

I used to delete the text and write something in red. I dont think i have deleted any of your posts though.

Like this.

Please don't post this kind of propaganda again.........<coctailer>

Please no threadcrapping..........<coctailer>

I have been lazy about it lately though. For that I'm sorry.
I have been planning to get together with Joey on our policies, but we both work 12 hours a day.
Ill push for us to make some time.

I don't mind us bringing up site issues and suggestions, or even issues with the way we moderate the forum.
A long as it's done tactfully like this thread.....it will stay as a constructive discussion.

steelydan makes quite a point, happened to me today, the troubled party used both profanity ( bubblegum) and foul Language in his emails to me, have original copies, but no contact from moderator, just deleted my posts, with out any further info on subject. I used no foul or unauthorized procedures or words, just on the complaint of the original poster who is and was out of control. I then was honored with a warning? humm help is always appreciated.

I appreciate your point.

I used to delete the text and write something in red. I dont think i have deleted any of your posts though.

Like this.

Please don't post this kind of propaganda again.........<coctailer>

Please no threadcrapping..........<coctailer>

That seems like a very useful option if it becomes standard practice, and I think largely appreciated. I'm sure some will still opt to be vocal about it, but I think it makes it easier to see which moderator is more active on a thread to adjust communication style accordingly. Since mods are people too, personal opinion will color just how much moderation goes into a thread and that adjustment can happen on a per thread/per mod basis.

I do think there's some benefit of accountability there too. Other moderators may see the deletions and question it off-thread; if there continues to be consensus then moderators as a whole may opt to take the same stand unilaterally and build some level of consistency. The upside to that is a bar that everyone can be more clear on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top