JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can find an old Dan Wesson, you will not be disappointed. They are better built than rugers, can handle hoter loads than S&W, and are more accurate than both.

My late uncle had a Dan Wesson that was his favorite gun (and he owned many). He was very proud of it. I've sen some for sale around here, too.

Nobody mentioned Coonan?:huh:

I carried the first 686 4" on our Dept. back when I was a younger buck & an LEO. When we switched to semi-auot's I traded it for my Sig Sauer P226. I sure wish I would have kept it but money way tight in those days & on a small dept you have to furnish your own firearm. I earned my master badge with my 686...it was well balanced & a great shooter.

I have since picked up a mint Colt Trooper III 6" blued in .357. Maybe its not as smooth as a Python but it's a real tack driver! I'm suprised Colt didn't get much mention.

I have since picked up a mint Colt Trooper III 6" blued in .357. Maybe its not as smooth as a Python but it's a real tack driver! I'm suprised Colt didn't get much mention.

I had a 4" Trooper III many moons ago. Picked it up in trade, and like you really couldn't afford to keep it. Only shot it one time, but thought well enough of it that when things got better, I tried to buy it back. Unfortunately, the wife of the guy I sold it to didn't want it in the house when they had their kid, so down the road it went...

Two of the better revolvers mentioned late in this thread are no longer available new. Dan Wesson and Colt. This and the fact that I believe revolver shooters are a minority on this forum are possible reasons for no comments about Colt.

When I got old enough to buy my own handguns, I started out with revolvers. Then later decided that I wanted to try the 1911 and 45 ACP for self defense. (a decision I have NEVER regretted) A single action (or several) and a decent .38 Special or two always graced my collection, but until recent years I just had no desire for a good double action revolver and never was too pumped about a .357, either. Then one day I saw an ad for a gun like the one I have now, and it was like a light turned on. It had been a very long time since I'd had a reasonable double action revolver ( I owned a 500) and it just seemed like the time to give it another try.

I seriously compared the Ruger GP100 to the 686 and would have been happy with either. But I really liked that 7th round.:s0155:

The balance of power to weight of a .357 is hard to beat.

Used 686
Used Colt Python
New GP100
New 686, I dont like the new triggers and quality control is not what it used to be.

I have owned all of the above and only the Python remains in my collection.

Very true.
When a mint 6" bright polished SS Colt Python popped up on Outdoorstrader last year for $1000.00, I jumped on it.
It's hard to hand over a thousand hard earned bucks for a pistol, but these are never going to be made again,
so you do what you have do if you want to own one.

For a carry gun, i go with 5 shot revolvers, because operating a common 5-shot speed loader is way easier for me. Have an SP101 w/4" barrel - great gun, accurate, easy follow up shots with .357's. I bet a 3" Sp101 would be great. Had a 21/2" SP101 DAO which was excellent. A 3" S&W Model 60 might be good. I have a KLCR - shooting .357's not a problem, would recommend it.

Just rented the Chiappa Arms Rhino 50DS at English Pit (Clark County Gun Club) on Friday and it has jumped to the top of my list and is my top .357 that I want. Amazing ease of shooting and hardly any muzzle flip at all due to the design of shooting from the bottom cylinder.

Rhino50DS.jpg

I have owned many .357s over the years and my one time favorite was my M-19 S&W but I have had the ability to shoot a GP 100 lately and I have to admit if I ever get a .357 again (a real one that is - not the 2" Taurus 605 I recently got in trade) I will be looking for a GP. Not to dis on my Taurus as I knew nothing about them until I acquired mine. I really like it and it is fun to shoot - with light .38 reloads - but nothing I would shoot on a regular basis with anything other than some 'lite' .357 rounds and I really see no reason for that. The .357 Mag is a round that comes into it's own in a large frame 4+ (better with 6+) inch barrel length. Kind of like the .45 ACP is really a round best suited to a 1911 style platform and size. HOWEVER - I may have made a grave mistake by passing on a 6" Trooper recently for $400.00 but most thought that was a little on the 'high' side for it's condition.

happy with the trooper I picked up a couple months ago for $325.00 shoots very nice.
Happy with the Ruger security six I just grabbed for $300.00
Had a Taurus Tracker (one in .357 and one in .45LC) Fun and worked reasonably well. Sold them.

Cant go wrong with Colt.

Made a mistake when I was much younger and sold my Anaconda... :( (But that is of course a .44)

I went looking for a S&W 686 and found a 4" S&W 66-2 in stainless with a high polish and a trigger job, and I couldn't refuse it at the price. So that's what I have now and will be keeping it for a long, long time.

just picked up gp100 with 6" barrel i love it! goes well my other buddies.

Congrats, if its a stainless you can polish it to be like a mirror. :) Good emergency signalling device when hiking.
Only thing I might change if it were mine is that on a friend's Ruger Alaskan, the tip of the trigger was very sharp. If this is the case with yours, you might want to round it off with a nail file. My first handgun was a stainless GP100 4 inch, they are built like a tank.

I'm a big fan of revolvers, and .357 is particular. Here is my list of my favorites-

1. The beauty queen- Colt Python (Royal Blue)
2. The utilitarian- S&W M686 or Ruger GP100
3. The short guy- Ruger Speed Six
4. The big daddy- Ruger Redhawk (fairly rare)
5. The all-arounder- S&W M27 (P&R era)

Ruger GP-100, stainless, 4" barrel with full underlug, adjustable sights.
Ruger Police Service-six, stainless, 2.75" barrel.
Dan Wesson, stainless, with 6" barrel, vent-rib, full underlug shroud.
Ruger Redhawk, stainless, with 7.5" barrel
Colt Python, Colt royal blue, 6" barrel.

These are my 5 favorite .357 mag. revolvers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top