JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S&W Model 686. It'd be heavy for a carry pistol, but the L Frame really tames felt recoil (my wife prefers it to my .40 and .45 semi-autos) and when you run out of ammo it still makes a mean club :) I've found it to be very accurate. 100's of rounds and never a problem.

I have a 686+. It's the 7 shot 4" gun with a round butt. If it wasn't for my 1911s, I'd probably pack this gun. It is the one that usually goes into the woods with me. I pretty much only shoot hot 158gr loads thru it and I absolutely love this gun.

The Ruger GP100 was the only other gun I was interested in.

If you like single actions, then it's Ruger Blackhawk all the way.

I spent a lot of research time on this a few years ago and ended up with a Ruger KRH-444 (opted for a .44), mostly because I got a great deal on it. Colt, S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 pretty much make up the Ford, Chevy or Dodge decision. I was keyed on Taurus for a short while, but dropped them off my list after speaking with some of by gun savvy co-workers.

If $$ and timing had not been a point of consideration, I would have gone with the S&W, better ergonomics and finish. That said, the Ruger can double as a tent spike hammer and takes the hottest loads around...which are no fun to shoot BTW :eek: As you will no doubt see through the myriad of threads on this subject...you really can't go wrong with the S&W or Ruger.

All excellent choices, all work well. That's what us stylish pistoleros used to carry and use before the Glock came along and convinced most of us that we six gunners were outgunned and obsolete. I'd take 6 accurate, hot 125 gr. .357's anyday before I'd take any auto caliber in the current pistol of the week flavor. That and I like getting 100 % of my brass back or waste my time hoarding magazines. I've been shooting a hot 125 gr. handload for 30 years in 3 of the above listed guns and they all still shoot just fine. I'm not sure you can even wear out a GP100 or Blackhawk.

+1 on the 6" 686 mine is very accurate and the full length under lug tames the hottest loads. Mine came from the factory with an excellent, crisp trigger. I used it for ground squirrel hunting for years.

Well, depending on what you want it for, here are some I like (new production):

1) S&W 686 4"
2) S&W 60 3"
3) Ruger GP100 4"
4) Ruger SP101 3"
5) Ruger Blackhawk 4.6"

Different guns for different purposes.

7 inch blackhawk ( :

photobucket-45406-1356042104146.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA