JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a tarp as well, but I suspect Jim is talking more about picking up brass at a shooting pit where others have left stuff lying all over the place.

For those of us who are brass hounds and getting older we tend to utilize tools to retrieve said brass. I have been using the cheap plastic grippers like you find at the dollar store (really cheap, I have broken dozens, really cheap).
So I've been looking for a better mousetrap and came across this one.
Battenfeld Brass Retriever : Cabela's

Has anybody ever seen one in use or have you used them before?;)

They have them on post at the MWR range (range 15) and they work great, but like @deadeye said, they will pick up extra crap that you don't want (rocks, sticks, cigarette butts, peanut shells, etc.). Another down side of these are if you use too much downward pressure, it will put down what you've already picked up. Overall though, it's worth the time to sort out the unwanted junk vs the wear and tear and time of bending over to pick up brass one at a time.

Let me know if you ever venture over this way, so we can go to the range sometime and you can see how well they work for yourself.

Ray

They have them on post at the MWR range (range 15) and they work great, but like @deadeye said, they will pick up extra crap that you don't want (rocks, sticks, cigarette butts, peanut shells, etc.). Another down side of these are if you use too much downward pressure, it will put down what you've already picked up. Overall though, it's worth the time to sort out the unwanted junk vs the wear and tear and time of bending over to pick up brass one at a time.

Let me know if you ever venture over this way, so we can go to the range sometime and you can see how well they work for yourself.

Ray

Cool Ray, I'd sure like to try it out before I bought one that's for sure and get some range time, BONUS. That would be Awesome!!!!!!

We used to obtain permission to glean the rifle and pistol range. Way back in the day. The range owners liked us doing it. Then they discovered and understood all the value of scrap brass .... both for reloading and for recycling. Then we could not glean. Oh well.

Then the State of Kommiefornika REQUIRED the range to bull doze the butts backstops to remove all that nasty dangerous lead. But ... the range owner said it paid out OK because of all the TONS of lead and copper they recovered. Besides, gleaning brass is fun.

Equal paragraph length FUTILE! :)

I have one and it really does not work all that well. If all your brass is laying in the same direction then it works pretty well until you get a few inside it, then when you pick up a larger piece of brass the smaller stuff falls out if the device. Also, if you are in grass or gravel it does not work well.

I have one and it really does not work all that well. If all your brass is laying in the same direction then it works pretty well until you get a few inside it, then when you pick up a larger piece of brass the smaller stuff falls out if the device. Also, if you are in grass or gravel it does not work well.

Thanks for the user tested info, it really helps to make an informed decision. I hate buying something without checking with credible members.;)

Last Edited:
If you got extra disposable income. There is the brass buggy.

Law Enforcement Targets | Action Target : 18" Brass Buggy

18F723B8-E4C7-4150-B101-7F141AA7BE86.jpeg

Item #1. Yard brush.

Item #2. Dustpan.

Items #3. Eyeballs.

Items #4. Fingers.

Using item #1, push empty cases into item #2. Then, using items #3, apply items #4 to empty cases, sorting them into categories before throwing into items #5 - 9, the brass category bucket of choice.

Simple.

tac

I also use the Brass Dragger 150.
:D

It's a rectangle basket; made of plastic, I put wood skids on the bottom, and a 48" paracord lanyard.

Dragging it around vibrates and marries the brass, and allows the heavier basalt gravel settle to the bottom.

It's good for @15 pounds of brass.

;)

sometimes when i shoot, i park my truck perpendicular to me. brass lands in bed of truck. use broom to sweep brass into container. container gets discovered 8 months later when i need more ammo.

I have one of the Batten gizmos. Mines a different brand but same inblooks and function. The range I shoot at mostly is an indoor range and brooms are strictly verboten. The don't want lead dust being kicked up in the air. I use mine there pretty successfully on the concrete floor. Comes with a metal rod widget that fits over a bucket and drops the cases out of the squirrel cage for you. Light pressure works best and come at the cases from the side and it works pretty well. I imagine that gravel would not work well for it though.

Item #1. Yard brush.

Item #2. Dustpan.

Items #3. Eyeballs.

Items #4. Fingers.

Using item #1, push empty cases into item #2. Then, using items #3, apply items #4 to empty cases, sorting them into categories before throwing into items #5 - 9, the brass category bucket of choice.

Simple.

tac

Been doing that for years tac, gettin older so got to change tactics.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top