JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Using E-Z trim Hand Case Tool and Lyman Prep Tool. for .223 brass. All three trim, debur, and chamfer heads are mounted in battery operated drills. Starting to get case mouths that are not square with the case and the deburr tool is doing more peening instead of deburring. Around 1,800 cases prepped with these tools. Is this about the normal lifespan for the cutter and deburring heads? Should I be looking for higher quality tools?

It takes about an hour to do about a hundred cases when you throw in mounting in the fixture, measuring after trimming, removing crimps and using a uniforming tool.

Last Edited:
For reference, I just processed 3000 223 cases with my RCBS three-way cutter. The cutter has trimmed and chamfered an estimated 10,000 cases and still cuts like the first day I adjusted it.

Seems like you don't like the time it takes, besides the tool wear. Using the RCBS 3-way cutter in a Hornady trimmer modified to work with a cordless drill, you can get you trim and chamfer times reduced to about 5-6 seconds per case. Drawback is it is an investment in more tools.

Three way tools are advantageous time wise. Carbide will last longer than tool steel. Tool steel can be made with differences in quality. Many times the price actually DOES reflect the quality.

All three trim, debur, and chamfer heads are mounted in battery operated drills. Starting to get case mouths that are not square with the case and the deburr tool is doing more peening instead of deburring.
You deburr the neck rim with the Case Prep tool in a drill motor?
I would think that could cause the issue. Arent those designed to be used only by hand?

You deburr the neck rim with the Case Prep tool in a drill motor?
I would think that could cause the issue. Arent those designed to be used only by hand?
With the Lyman deburring tool, It comes that way, but there are many brands that use the same style tool head, and most of them have a motor operated option of some sort. I assumed that I could do the same thing with this brand. Peening and out of square are relatively new problems. Sent Lyman an email yesterday, but I suspect it's a tool head material issue and they're just worn out.

Getting the impression that it's a simple matter of paying for quality.

Last Edited:
Sure like the idea of a three-way tool.
With a Giraurd tri-way trimmer you can use cordless drill or a drill press to cut your time down drastically and up the quality 100% from the inconsistency with those inferior tools. Get the right tools for the job.
It is dedicated to one caliber but if you do a lot of 223/556 like I do it is well worth it. I have the 223 & 300BLK cutters.

7D1EB9CD-EE1A-4FC1-A25B-EBDD7A9F5F5C.jpeg 6DF923FC-AF2A-4EED-B33C-D04F74EDEED3.jpeg

Last Edited:
What do you think? ;)

noun

1. 1.
    a very learned or talented person, especially one distinguished in a particular field of science or the arts.

I've seen you handle a boat and number of fishing rods at the same time too.
Just funnin ya a bit brother, just experienced in a few things. And to be truthful, #2 fits at times. :D
You should've seen me while I was gettin all that experience. :s0140: :s0140::s0140:

I will strongly advise the three way cutters. Got into 300bo a few years ago and everyone was using different tools to make brass from 223 or 556. Took others advice and spent the money on good stuff upfront to save trial and error costs and time not to mention frustration.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top