JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went to the doctor to get some Xanax.
When he asked me why I needed some I didnt have an answer.
He wouldnt give me any.

So I went to a different doctor to get some Xanax.
He asked me why I needed some.
I said I had just been rejected and needed something to calm my nerves and help me cope.
He understood.

Thank you Xanax.

It was around 20 years ago that I just wasn't feeling 'like myself'. Found a doctor that was nearby and on my insurance plan. I told her I was just feeling kind of down in the dumps. - not like myself. When she couldn't determine anything in particular she prescribed an antidepressant. Took that just long enough to realize that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the way I was feeling! Thank you...no more for me.
Seems that's what they do when they can't figure it out.
My place of business is next door to an apartment complex that consists of mostly adults with special needs. I have hired some of them. Medications of the types you are referring to are a necessity for every day normal function. I have had to deal with many issues when the medication runs out/is not taken for a period of time.
When I was 13 or 14 my brother was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle and was in a coma for 6 months. For many years now he has been in adult foster care. I remember all the issues he had when he was just plain fed up with taking so many pills so many times a day that he would stop taking them. Huge mistake.
I feel for those that must rely on meds just to be 'normal'.
I'm lucky, I feel, that I have experienced this first-hand as it gives me a different perspective.

Wifey

I know someone who is bi-polar know him 40 years, he is ok as long as he on his meds but when gets off he short tempered, but I and other have learned how to reason with him, he would be a decent ally if shtf, I told him if he happened to drop the bottle in the toilet a couple of time he could get them refiled asap and just the bottle rotated with his monthly scripts. the ones had dropped in the toilet and just did not get wet comehow would help him gett through the first months of a shtf.

Something to think about for those on scripts.

BTW, I agree with what the orginal poster meant in the post, there are going to be some people out there that are going to cause some real mayhem in shtf, And will need to be delt with according for your own safety, that of you family and those that are counting on you to do your part to help in watching their backs

All, just for clarity I wasn't bashing those with psychological disorders. My younger brother suffers from schizophrenia, he is almost 45, and he essentially has to live with my parents to survive. He does "just OK" when medicated, but he's a handful if he gets off the regular drugs.

In the original post and reference to the MSNBC article, I was thinking more of the growing population of people who seem to be taking these drugs just to get through the ups and downs of everyday living. I can't help but wonder if they are being so "dulled" to the world that any form of SHTF situation is going to push them off the deep end once their meds run out.

Peter

Many of the spree shooters in the last 25 years have been hooked on this pharma poison, often combos of lithium and prozac

When SHTF my sense of humor will be greatly diminished

I know these drugs have their place, but they're also abused regularly. People give each other Xanax likes it's aspirin, and it's easy to get hooked. They experience terrible moods swings when they're trying to come off.

It was hard enough to quit smoking cigarettes I don't ever want to mess with that stuff, just based on what I've seen.

A little stress and anxiety is part of normal life, we are way too quick to medicate.

We are a society of Pills, doctors give out prescriptions like they are bandaids (and in most cases they actually are bandaids for the problem)

Is your kid acting up? Heres a pill.
Feeling stressed? Heres a pill.
Cant sleep? Heres a pill.
Sleep too much? Heres a pill.

I suffer from panic attacks and all the doctors wanted to suggest was giving me something that I had to take every day. Luckily I was taught that I should try everything else before taking a pill so I talked with family and several doctors to try to get my attacks under control. Now I have attacks 4 or 5 times a year instead of 4-5 times a month and I only take anxiety medication when I actually start having a panic attack, not before and not after.

I know there are people who have valid mental health conditions that really need these medications, but I also think that there are a lot of people on medications (specifically anxiety & depression meds) that could get off of them if they were willing to make the changes to do so.

I think that the "weirdness" will come out in stages. First it will be the initial shock of SHTF, then another month or so when people start to run out of their medications, then maybe another 3-4 months after people who actually prepared a little bit start to run out. I think that One Second After touches on this a bit. Hopefully we will never have to see what happens after the 1 month mark.

Just my 2 cents! :)

All, just for clarity I wasn't bashing those with psychological disorders. My younger brother suffers from schizophrenia, he is almost 45, and he essentially has to live with my parents to survive. He does "just OK" when medicated, but he's a handful if he gets off the regular drugs.

In the original post and reference to the MSNBC article, I was thinking more of the growing population of people who seem to be taking these drugs just to get through the ups and downs of everyday living. I can't help but wonder if they are being so "dulled" to the world that any form of SHTF situation is going to push them off the deep end once their meds run out.

Peter

No Offense taken here, I understand exactly what you are saying there are a lot who will not be able to be controlled once the meds run out, some will adjust witht he help of family and friends and sadly to say there will be some that there will be not be any other way to deal with them and keep your family safe, than with lead.

The nuts cases with slip out of the nut houses, the murderers and rapist will excape will have to be taken out, if those kinds are not taken out they cause more chaos and detroy everything everyone is trying to keep safe. Lead poisening will be necessary

We are a society of Pills, doctors give out prescriptions like they are bandaids (and in most cases they actually are bandaids for the problem)

Is your kid acting up? Heres a pill.
Feeling stressed? Heres a pill.
Cant sleep? Heres a pill.
Sleep too much? Heres a pill.

It's a two way street. People go to docs to get help and often that expectation is in the form of pills. On the flip side docs probably feel a pressure to do something constructive, proactive, and helpful. When I go to the doctor I'm going with the hope that there is something he/she can do or give me to make me feel better. It's one thing to walk out empty handed when you have a viral upper respiratory illness that basically needs to run its course and another when you might have some serious symptoms (mental in the case of this thread) and not get anything to help.

That said, my biggest concern if society were to have a major meltdown is the actions of mentally ill people and if prisons were to be emptied for whatever reason. Lots of untreated psychotic pathologically violent folks in our prison system.

It's a two way street. People go to docs to get help and often that expectation is in the form of pills. On the flip side docs probably feel a pressure to do something constructive, proactive, and helpful. When I go to the doctor I'm going with the hope that there is something he/she can do or give me to make me feel better. It's one thing to walk out empty handed when you have a viral upper respiratory illness that basically needs to run its course and another when you might have some serious symptoms (mental in the case of this thread) and not get anything to help.QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. I think that there are people who have serious mental health concerns and they should be able to get the medication that they need. I also think that personal health is a 2 way street, both patients and doctors need to look for alternatives to medication if at all possible.

As for the prison system, I have been wondering what the probability would be that officials would "open the flood gates" so to speak or maybe just close the doors and walk away? My parents live up by Larch Corrections Center, and I know that it is a minimum security facility, but it is still a worry.

It will be quite the circus for the 1st 60 days

In a real SHTF scenario, the majority of people will not live that long. They will start dropping like flies in 14-21 days as they starve off. If they don't have access to fresh water, make that 5-8 days. Over half of the population will be gone, cholera spreading from the corpses (think happy thoughts!!).

One of the reasons I do not want to see a SHTF hardcore scenario in my lifetime, but unfortunately all signs point to its arrival in the not too distant future. If I could trade ten more years of living at current levels and then DIE I would take that deal right now, vs what is most likely coming our way in the next 1-4 years. That is why every day is to be enjoyed and petty things ignored.

Well although i agree there will be a lot of corpses the first 15 - 60 days, i do not think that all the crazies will die off immediately, they wreak havoc after their meds wear off which most have a 30 - 90 supply of, because it is cheaper ship and handle 90 day supplies than monthly.

Second, as Roxy noted prisons, well that will be a big problem, I would suggest your parents seriously consider moving if at practical nearer to you , family can help family even in short term things and will help you and them psychologically having them their.

One must prepare themselves to eliminate those who present themselves as a potential threat immediately, if you do not there is a good chance that they will come back alone or with others kill you and your family or worse before killing your family.

In a real SHTF scenario, the majority of people will not live that long. They will start dropping like flies in 14-21 days as they starve off. If they don't have access to fresh water, make that 5-8 days. Over half of the population will be gone, cholera spreading from the corpses (think happy thoughts!!).

One of the reasons I do not want to see a SHTF hardcore scenario in my lifetime, but unfortunately all signs point to its arrival in the not too distant future. If I could trade ten more years of living at current levels and then DIE I would take that deal right now, vs what is most likely coming our way in the next 1-4 years. That is why every day is to be enjoyed and petty things ignored.

This is why it is best to be in a somewhat remote location in a fire proof and bullet resistant, well stocked domicile with good water supply

This is why it is best to be in a somewhat remote location in a fire proof and bullet resistant, well stocked domicile with good water supply

I told my hubby that someplace like this would be my dream home... Then he handed me a brochure for New Tradition Homes :( Bubble popped!

As for my parents moving, unfortunately the placement of Larch Corrections makes it easy access to Washougal, Hockinson, Yacolt, Battleground....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top