JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only polymer mags I had that never had the feed lips deform from storage were AUG magazines, the factory ones. No idea how the magpul AUG mags would handle storage, but due to similar prices no reason to find out. For all my other rifles I just use steel mags. I also have the USGI 20 round mags for when I get around to getting a retro AR.

Genuine Steyr AUG ownwer… you made me look at mine… and I have a few :) Yup all good!
All always loaded…. been that way for several years, although every one has been shot and refilled several times in that time, they go back to full before I even get arround to cleaning the weapon.
Nope, not one issue. In fact I keep the crappy triggered Steyr, because it just works. I have no love of the 8 pound 1980's plastic fantastic, with a brutally heavy chassis and barrel, but the Steyr mags are the best part of the system.

Genuine Steyr AUG ownwer… you made me look at mine… and I have a few :) Yup all good!
All always loaded…. been that way for several years, although every one has been shot and refilled several times in that time, they go back to full before I even get arround to cleaning the weapon.
Nope, not one issue. In fact I keep the crappy triggered Steyr, because it just works. I have no love of the 8 pound 1980's plastic fantastic, with a brutally heavy chassis and barrel, but the Steyr mags are the best part of the system.
They designed the rifle around the magazine, not the other way around. Which is why I want to get an AUG again later. I'm also leaving my AK 5.56 mags loaded to see if anything will happen to them. To be fair, AR mags have less room for error whether its a metal magazine or polymer. Not to say that its a horrible thing, just kinda what it is.

Like how I have to spend $35-$45 per mag for my arsenal...

I don't believe Gen 4 p mags exist as far as I know.

Gen 2 didn't ship with caps but you can get them for less than $1 on sale. Gen 3 pmags ship with caps. If someone is buying a polymer mag that doesn't have a cap option and leaving it loaded for extended periods of time then they are ignoring the previous findings of many many people that recommends not to do that.

I've always thought that leaving a few mags loaded is fine, but it's good to circulate the mags, so you load a few up. Then as it gets time to rotate them you go to the range and do some training. That or you unload the mags and load the ammo into different mags, but that doesn't help you grow or maintain your shootings skills.

They designed the rifle around the magazine, not the other way around. Which is why I want to get an AUG again later. I'm also leaving my AK 5.56 mags loaded to see if anything will happen to them. To be fair, AR mags have less room for error whether its a metal magazine or polymer. Not to say that its a horrible thing, just kinda what it is.

Like how I have to spend $35-$45 per mag for my arsenal...

Polymer mags in general are better for the range than long term storage or hard use.
I found a bunch of Magpuls a while ago that I know for a fact had been sitting for 2+ years loaded, some with caps and some without. They all ran perfectly and still do. I know that's not a scientific test, but there you have it.

I found a bunch of Magpuls a while ago that I know for a fact had been sitting for 2+ years loaded, some with caps and some without. They all ran perfectly and still do. I know that's not a scientific test, but there you have it.

Understood, lots of variables at play, however, one thing that has been noted with polymer mags (and some may be prone to this more than others) is that leaving them loaded without caps over a long period of time can slowly potentially cause the opening to widen ever so slightly, if the lips of the magazine expand even a mm, it increases the ability for rounds to become more easily dislodged from the magazine at unintended times. It's possible that other brands than Magpul suffer this more than Magpul does. I definitely don't have caps to cover all my mags, but ones that I stick in a bag, never plan on using for years on end because they are "emergency stashed," I keep caps on them. I figure, if my intent is that they run flawlessly in an emergency, I don't want potential feed lip problems to have happened.

I agree, Ive had some that held ammo well and continue to.
But after a few drops, thats whats killed them for me.

In using many different makes of magazines over the years, I see one common theme with all of them...not all will be able to lock in place with 30, or even 28 in the tube with the bolt forward. To be most effective and reliable for tac loads, down load to 25. If they won't lock with 25, toss them.

I have all my students do this test during my class, and most every time there's a magazine or more that won't do it. Before going out in the field, my team checked every magazine to see how they would perform, and 25 was the magic number, and only those that qualified at 25 would be eligible for duty use.

Last Edited:
Everything eventually fails. Magazines are "disposable". I have Thermold mags from 30 years ago that still work great. I have GI mags from 20 years ago that still work great. I have PMags from 10 years ago that crapped out. Go figure. But magazines were never made to last forever.

My magpuls didn't last for me, but I used them a lot too in addition to keeping them stored for a long period of time. My friend's magpuls lasted longer, but he rarely goes to the range.

Tbh I think magpul would be a lot more durable if they also used glass fiber in the mix, and/or steel reinforced their magazines. Though I don't think the mags would be cheap by that point.

I have yet to see a Magpul failure but my oldest one may only be 6-7 years old. I prefer them to metal mags because of feel I suppose, but I probably have about the same amount of each. I've only used Magpul or GI.

In using many different makes of magazines over the years, I see one common theme with all of them...not all will be able to lock in place with 30, or even 28 in the tube with the bolt forward. To be most effective and reliable for tac loads, down load to 25. If they won't lock with 25, toss them.

I have all my students do this test during my class, and most every time there's a magazine or more that won't do it. Before going out in the field, my team checked every magazine to see how they would perform, and 25 was the magic number, and only those that qualified at 25 would be eligible for duty use.

Thanks for the 25 round info! It validates what my Marine Sargent nephew and friend who is a former Ranger both told me. Keep no more than 25 rounds in the mags for longer-term storage regardless of PMags or USGI metal (aluminum and steel). That's what I follow for my pre-loaded mags that now consists of a variety: PMag, D&H aluminum, and Lancer.

And as others have mentioned...these are consumable items. Have plenty of spares around :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top