JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I loaded up three MFT (Mission First Tactical) magazines sometime last Summer. Today I opened the crate containing the loaded MFT magazines and several loaded MagPul magazines. I discovered all the MFT Magazines had ejected 6-9 rounds apiece. I reloaded the MFT magazines and they immediately ejected half a dozen rounds. Upon inspection it appears the polymer feed lips are bowed outwards on all three MFT magazines. After unloading the magazines they did not go back to their original shape. These magazines are simply not strong enough for normal use. I am only using Mil-Spec metal magazines and MagPul magazines in the future. I threw the MFT magazines in the trash. Reliable magazines are simply too important to allow them to stay in circulation.

SCPM556 - Standard Capacity Polymer Mag

I only store loaded mags long term with Magpul "caps" just in case for this very reason, although I have read that Magpul mags can last a while without the cap while loaded, but why risk it when a cap is so cheap

I still have 20-30 some odd new metal ones from when our unit was switching to pmags. I think my polymer mags have all came from presents or with gun purchases. Is there any real performance improvements with the polymer magazines?

I still have 20-30 some odd new metal ones from when our unit was switching to pmags. I think my polymer mags have all came from presents or with gun purchases. Is there any real performance improvements with the polymer magazines?

The more time I spend with polymer mags the more I like the metal Mil-Spec ones.

The only polymer mags I had that never had the feed lips deform from storage were AUG magazines, the factory ones. No idea how the magpul AUG mags would handle storage, but due to similar prices no reason to find out. For all my other rifles I just use steel mags. I also have the USGI 20 round mags for when I get around to getting a retro AR.

I only store loaded mags long term with Magpul "caps" just in case for this very reason, although I have read that Magpul mags can last a while without the cap while loaded, but why risk it when a cap is so cheap

I also use the Magpul caps except for the one I load magazine in my rifle.

Last Edited:
The more time I spend with polymer mags the more I like the metal Mil-Spec ones.
I've made the mistake of buying only Pmags. the poly mags seem to have more drag on the case when the bolt is grabbing another round. My rifle and pistol were not going into full battery and the only fix was an old surplus metal mag. Now what to do with several 40,30, and 20 round Pmags......

I've made the mistake of buying only Pmags. the poly mags seem to have more drag on the case when the bolt is grabbing another round. My rifle and pistol were not going into full battery and the only fix was an old surplus metal mag. Now what to do with several 40,30, and 20 round Pmags......
Post 'em up in Classifieds. You'll get takers for sure.

Have you contacted Magpul Customer Service?

Haven't even thought of calling Magpul. I just figured it was my configuration, as so many people have had great success. I'll think about posting them, but would prefer to trade them. Thanks.

I also use the Magpul caps except for the load magazine in my rifle.

Me too, I recently transitioned to having a coupled mag pair as my primary rifle load. I started doing it for competition to decrease my reload speed, paired with the BAD lever it's about a second tops if I do my part.

It's also nice to consider that if I grab my rifle I have the ability to reload even if I don't grab any additional mags and if I experience a mag failure or malfunction I can transition to the other of the 2 quickly.

Like I said, it originally started out just for competition but has become my standard MO.

Mission First Tactical....gotta love the names these wannabes come up with.
:rolleyes:

I just bought 10 NHMTG 30's for $11.00 each
What a boring brand name, huh ?
:D

I have a feeling that good, low cost mags might be fading away.....soon.
Hope I'm wrong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads