JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had no problems with PMAGS, but my youngest son had one the of feed lips develop a crack-he contacted Magpul and they sent him out a replacement free of charge and said dispose of the old one. I suspect it was in how he was loading it rather than the magazine itself but who knows.

I've got a few Thermolds bought new a decade ago that seem to hold up quite well. Granted none have been set aside loaded for an extended period of time. Perhaps in light of the OP it would be prudent to give them a test.

I like Thermold magazines (especially the 20 round) as they are the only magazine that performs flawlessly in my PLR-16. I wish they would get on the bandwagon and put anti-tilt followers in them though.

I have had them loaded for three years with no feed problems-FWIW....

I like Thermold magazines (especially the 20 round) as they are the only magazine that performs flawlessly in my PLR-16. I wish they would get on the bandwagon and put anti-tilt followers in them though.

I have had them loaded for three years with no feed problems-FWIW....

I do not think they make any anti-tilt followers for a 20 roumd magazine. I have a few NHMTG 20 round ones and they have a straight black follower.

This has boiled down to the old "metal is better than 'plastic' debate," which is done to death. You don't like a product? Fine. You had a bad experience? Okay. Does your word become gospel? Hell no. Another waste-o-time thread when nothing new gets said.

This has boiled down to the old "metal is better than 'plastic' debate," which is done to death. You don't like a product? Fine. You had a bad experience? Okay. Does your word become gospel? Hell no. Another waste-o-time thread when nothing new gets said.
Not a waste.
n00bs reading along will learn to stay away from the "no-name" mags.
At least that's what their "take-away" should be.

Geezers will re-fight the plastic vs. metal thing until hell freezes over.

Edit:
I see you mentioned Okay.
That is a good mag.

:)

Besides MagPul the only other polymer "known good" magazines I can think of are Troy BattleMag and Lancer Mags. All are roughly the same price point.

Ive had quite a few problems with Troy mags. Got'em cheap for a reason.

Pmags are the only plastic mags I trust to work all the time besides Lancers.

Some of you may not agree but loaded magazines tend to bend the feed lips over time. The old aluminum AR mags if left loaded would bend the feed lips and while the rounds didnt' pop out it did cause jams. When the polymers came out m11 mags wore out in just a few times used so they came up with steel lips inserted into the mag. Only mag I would trust is Pmags with the cap or some steel mags that came over from England to be loaded all the time.

New aluminum mags are fine if you don't leave them loaded and will work longer than you will have ammo to run through them. Just don't leave them loaded or the spring pressure pushes out the feed lip. Dont' take my word on anything, test and measure is the only way you will be confident in your gear.

I have several 30 round PMAGS loaded, capped and ready for use. Never had a problem with any of them.

I believe they are Gen 2 or 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Can you imagine being in a SHTF situation and pulling off your mag cap and the rounds go flying out of the mag? :eek:

The mag cap prevents the widening of the feed lips which is why they could go "flying out"

In other words, if you have mag caps for the mags during long term storage you won't have this problem

Another solution is for long term storage store empty mags next to ammunition, takes up more space, but you don't have the issue of ruining mags.

The mag cap prevents the widening of the feed lips which is why they could go "flying out"

In other words, if you have mag caps for the mags during long term storage you won't have this problem

Another solution is for long term storage store empty mags next to ammunition, takes up more space, but you don't have the issue of ruining mags.
Just a guess, but the MoFo Tactical mag's material may not be as developed as the polymer that Magpul uses.
I would bet on it.
Seems like I read that the latest gen 4 Magpul mags don't ship with the caps.

Just a guess, but the MoFo Tactical mag's material may not be as developed as the polymer that Magpul uses.
I would bet on it.
Seems like I read that the latest gen 4 Magpul mags don't ship with the caps.

I don't believe Gen 4 p mags exist as far as I know.

Gen 2 didn't ship with caps but you can get them for less than $1 on sale. Gen 3 pmags ship with caps. If someone is buying a polymer mag that doesn't have a cap option and leaving it loaded for extended periods of time then they are ignoring the previous findings of many many people that recommends not to do that.

I've always thought that leaving a few mags loaded is fine, but it's good to circulate the mags, so you load a few up. Then as it gets time to rotate them you go to the range and do some training. That or you unload the mags and load the ammo into different mags, but that doesn't help you grow or maintain your shootings skills.

I have mostly Magpul and Metal GI mags. I have a few Hex Mags and Sig mags but never had a problem with any of them. I love my metal GI mags though. I love the look and feel of them. I'm always buying more when I see a good deal. I have enough Magpul mags to last me a lifetime. I have dozens stored in the garage still in the wrapper just in case.

I've got a few of these MFT mags and haven't had ammo come flying out both storage and operation. Bad batches exist for all things i'd imagine.

As far as keeping caps on mags thats a first for me. Im used to just having tons of mags loaded and stored forever then have 0 issue when it comes time to use both range and "OH SH!T". Mileage may vary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top