JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This AR in question I've never touched besides cleaning. Its always just shot with no issues. I figured it's over 5k rounds. Its a Eagle Arms circa 1993 with a random upper, I think cmmg.

Last time I went out I ran some steel ammo through it and it had a fit with it. FTE, FTF, light primer strikes. The icing was it stove piped a round and cut the day short. I never shoot steel in anything not Russian but that's another topic.

So yesterday with high quality ammo it's doing the same thing. Mostly FTE and light primer strikes and leaving brass residue on the bottom of the ejection port.

I'm thinking new hammer spring and a Vltor buffer/stock setup. The bolt face and extractor looks fine so I'm probably good there.

Anything else i should replace or check? This is my only AR with thousands of rounds so I haven't had to replace anything really.

Yeah I just cleaned it all super good after shooting that garbage Tulammo. I shouldn't of shot it but getting it for free I couldn't resist!

Alright, sounds like I'm thinking along the proper lines.

I haven't taken it apart in years, didn't even think of that, thanks!

A lot to look at when you get decent round count.

Video is great for a refresher.

For sure, clean the BCG, when you clean it, check the firing pin, clean carbon off of it, and inspect it thoroughly. I actually had one that wore out the the tip and I was suddenly getting frequent FTFs until I replaced the firing pin.

I haven't taken it apart in years, didn't even think of that, thanks!

A lot to look at when you get decent round count.

Video is great for a refresher.
I think it would probably not lock up all if it was that dirty. Get into the bolt carrier and firing pin bore and scrape it real good. Might soak the whole thing in carb cleaner overnight too.
Also you should buy a couple of hammer springs for your kit anyway even if it isn't that.

Might be a good idea to check/Replace the extractor set up! Normally these can handle a pretty high round count, but running steel cases tends to accelerate wear on these parts
Plus, it's a good time to clean it out more then what normally gets attention! Check and time your bolt piston rings and ONE single drop of oil before reassembly!:)
Every one else is correct, springs, clean BCG, and check gas port for erosion and inspect chamber. Been seeing eroaded gas ports lately which tends to over gas and causes all sorts of issues!:(

Sorry to get off topic...but this thread is why I'm going to donate more to NWF when I get home tonight. Kudos to all who posted great info for all of us, not just the OP.

Thanks for the lesson all! And thanks for the forum to host it.

In case you don't already have one, there's a parts replacement kit that you can buy, just in case you might need a part.
It doesn't cost all that much. At least you'll have some stuff on hand.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews