Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thoughts on Remington 1187

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by sapper77, Dec 19, 2013.

1. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

The 1187's are in my price range. I will switching from a pump to an autoloader for the first time once I get my Nova sold. what's your experience and thoughts on the 1187?

2. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Don't know about the new ones, but I've had mine since 1990 and it's always worked great. Never had a problem with cycling light loads. I like the balance and way it fits me. You need to make sure you replace the rubber o-ring on the slide mechanism occasionally and make sure you re-assemble it correctly (or, it'll be a single-shot until you put it back together right...)

My only other auto-loading experience was with a Benelli Sport II. I really wanted to like that gun, but just never took a shine to it. Bad fit for me and had a couple of cycling issues.

No_Regerts likes this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They sure get good reviews. Gun digest says the new ones work great but, cosmetically look like a cheaper shotgun that has had some cost cutting.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  5. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Snohomish County, WA Active Member

Fantastic shotgun. I have one I've had since the mid 90s, and another I bought last year. Do what Sun said and you should never have a problem...

6. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

Boss owned a couple of 1187 SP ones, Yeah I cleaned and did the above with him. I could not get them to cycle the 3.5 inch shells. The plastic ends would hang up in the chamber. This is the waterfowl or turkey model.

That blew it for me. Cycles 3 inch all day long, is made for the larger 3.5 inch. I have a friend who has one also and has the same issue. I guess if you want a gun that is supposed to do something does not do it than go for it.

7. sapper77

???

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

He may be implying that the thread is a thinly disguised for sale ad.

9. sapper77

There, fixed it so the forum police will be happy. Thanks for the heads up Flopsweat

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So how much you want for it? LOL!!!

11. SKN

SKN Keizer, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had an 11-87P for 15 years. It's been a durable, reliable piece that's shot every standard and magnum load I've put through it in an operational environment, and in classes as a student and instructor.

12. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I have a pre sportsman model works like a charm and cycles everything I feed it.

13. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

Another happy 11-87 owner... my only mod is to add a Tru-Glow 'wing stopper' sight.

14. hker71

hker71 Portland Metro Area Active Member

I just bought one and really like it. Good solid shotgun.

15. mikeybuck

mikeybuck Clark county Active Member

I had one, great gun kinda wish I still had it. Only problem is I like to shoot a lot of clay and mine would not cycle the lite 2 3/4 #7.5 - #8 loads.
    sold it back around 02, one of them deals I've kicked myself for doing. Young and dumb.

Still have my 1100 though!

16. best defense

best defense Beaverton, OR Active Member

I have an 1187 and 2 1100s. They do work better when clean and lubed properly. I like them.

17. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

Just found this old-school 11-87 at Keith's. Came from the OSP.

869686401a8d87483cc4beb02c1d3985_zpsnohvrxoo.jpg

MTpockets likes this.
  18. best defense

That does not look like my 11-87. I hope you got a good price on it. I got mine in a trade, and I like it very much. It is one of my favorite scatter guns.

19. best defense

I have 2 1100s and one 1187. I do have some loading problems with the 1187, but the 1100s are great.

20. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

Well I have shot it and I still love it. The catch on the loading gate is different but requires you to use both hands (one to hold the catch and the gun and the other to feed shells. IMHO this is safer than the "baby cradle"

It does not like the low brass stuff which is understandable since it is a gas operated weapon. This is not a problem for me since I the gun is designed for defense loads and not go-bang field loads. The recoil is light and the recovery is fast and smooth. I really like the high rifle sights.