Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thoughts on Privi Partizan "Match Grade" .223 62gr HPBT...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by yskippy, Feb 22, 2014.

  1. yskippy

    yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    342
    Took my Remington 700 .223 out to the range today. Typically I shoot whatever 55gr .223 I have on hand through this and can consistently shoot .75 - 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards. I decided I would "feed" it something a little special with the "Match Grade" ammo. I could not get a consistent grouping to save my life. Shots were all over the place high/low, left/right, you name it. After about 40 minutes of frustration, I went and pulled my targets. About 10% of the shots were nice and round, the other 90% were "Key Holes", some vertical, some horizontal and others diagonal.

    I plan to take the Privi ammo out next weekend and feed it through one of my AR's and also take some 55gr out and shoot it through my 700 and see what happens.

    I was curious to see if others had tried this ammo and if so, what their experience has been. Let me know.

    Thanks
     
  2. jluck

    jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

    Messages:
    1,890
    Likes Received:
    1,209
    You didn't mention what grain bullet the PPI ammo is, That could explain everything.
     
  3. DieselScout

    DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,350
    Likes Received:
    1,725
    Says 62gr in the title. I wonder what the twist rate of the barrel is.
     
    Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jluck

    jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

    Messages:
    1,890
    Likes Received:
    1,209
    DERP... Missed that, Thanks. Twist is exactly what I was thinking. If it is a 1:9 or slower it wont stabilize those pills I don't believe.
     
  5. yskippy

    yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    342
    I will see if I can find out twist rate info. Didn't think about that. Thanks for the help
     
  6. Papercidal

    Papercidal Vancouver ,Wa Active Member

    Messages:
    180
    Likes Received:
    111
    Just from a Quick look through Remington's web site it looks as if most of the .223 700s are a 1:12 twist and is most likely too slow to stabilize the longer heavier 62 gr bullets. I know the 69gr match kings say on the box to only use in a 1:10 or faster twist barrel.
     
    Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rayd8

    rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    24
    I've had good luck with PRVI 75gr match out of 1:7 barrel. Usually less than 1 moa. I have some 62gr non-match, but haven't grouped it. My general consensus is that PRVI is pretty good ammo for the price.
     
  8. usagi

    usagi Redmond Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    544
    Likes Received:
    378
    PPU is good stuff. as with any gun you have to use weights appropriate for your barrel twist.
     
  9. yskippy

    yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    342
    Yep. Just confirmed twist rate is 1:12. Didn't think that extra 7gr would have made that much of a difference but I guess that barrel can't spin those bullets up fast enough to stabilize. I'm still going to try the ammo through one of my ARs next weekend

    Thanks again to everyone for the input. You guys are why I love this forum.
     
  10. jluck

    jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

    Messages:
    1,890
    Likes Received:
    1,209
    WOW! That is a slow barrel! Hell, It almost could get you one of those blue parking passes.
     
    Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  11. DieselScout

    DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,350
    Likes Received:
    1,725
    My .22-250 had a 1:14 twist barrel on it. Would launch 55gr and lighter bullets great and I had plans to swap it out with something in the 1:8 range. Then I just built a 7mm-08 out of it instead. LOL
     
  12. yskippy

    yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    342
    Well, I was finally able to get this ammo out with my AR. Unfortunately my wife was having so much fun, I didn't get much of a chance to shoot.
    38cc7d2dbbc4e09ad6b8a5809247a116.jpg

    And here were the groupings she was able to put on target @100 yards

    99ea55d5e4309ff6f6a4aca2441232da.jpg

    9d3dc1c9b8898596e752873c02416dfd.jpg

    I think my wife is so freakin awesome...this is just one of the many things I love about her. On her SUV she has a "zombie outbreak response unit" sticker. I think based on the evidence above the zombies should be VERY afraid
     
    John Gault likes this.