JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done a lot of hiking this summer and pretty much gave up on trying to conceal carry and have open carried all summer, for two reasons I usually use a alien gear iwb and it's not comfortable when you hot and sweaty, and the second is for retention, I know my glocks not falling out of a serpa holster when i' m crawling over a log. I've had no negative responses from other hikers, how does everyone else carry while hiking.

It depends on where I am hiking... and oddly enough what gun I want to carry.
If I am going to area near a not gun friendly town or have had "iffy" encounters with non gun folks in the hiking area , then I usually conceal.

I have found that when I go hiking or scouting for game areas , that if I open carry one of my antique muzzle loading guns , it can generate a usually positive conversation around guns ... so far at least.
Andy

Hiking and camping in a nf, I don't give a hoot. Where I go there's no one really there at all during the middle of the week. It depends on where as previously said. Linn county and going east has always been pro gun. You could be hiking in my area with an akm slung on your back and I could care less and think a lot of people here would just say hi like it's no big deal. Id probably just ask if you broke down and need help. If not, have fun doing whatever it is you are doing. If a population in a forest can't handle the sight of a gun, I don't want to be there.

I think a revolver in a leather holster is less troubling to most.

I'm with @AndyinEverson on this one .... "it depends".

If it is an area in which I am reasonably sure I'll run into other folks, particularly tourista types, it is completely concealed. And the piece is normally a .38 Spl/.357 Mag snubbie or a pocket auto.

If, however, I am out in the middle of nowhere and the odds of running into people is minimal to nonexistent, I've gone with a holstered, full-size, .357 Magnum revolver or something like that.

So far no issues. YMMV.

Fanny pack or backpack.
Thats how I used to carry while biking/hiking.

Havent done much of either in a long time, but I change that soon.

The fanny pack seems ridiculous, however its one of the best practical ways to carry and keep your firearm within reaching distance (compared to a backpack).

I don't go anywhere near the woods with out carrying. Always open and right in plane view. I have never had anyone say anything. In fact I don't think people in the woods where I go notice or care in any way shape or form.

Funny you should mention it.

It was an encounter I had with four teenagers carrying baseball bats above Punchbowl Falls thirteen years ago that got me back into regular CC.

I bluffed my way out of that encounter with a camera tripod and my size, but I decided I wanted something better than a tripod for self defense.

I always carry concealed IWB in a kydex holster from PJ Holsters or Alabama Holster.

Totally agree. All that high tech plastic stuff is awful compared to good old leather holster with a snap closure on it. Air circulates, full freedom of movement, cheap - what's not to like?
If only I could find a US Army 1911 style holster for my sig p226 mk25...

I think the general consensus is that there are large carnivores in the woods so it makes sense to have a gun on you. Nobody seems to care, and if they do, ask them where they're from... makes them feel awkward every time!

Anytime I'm in the woods I open carry.

I did it last summer at Smith Rock outside Bend.
And the place was PACKED with hipster/portlandia/cali folks. Packed!
I got there early and usually make a route up a ravine to the top of the ridge.

Coming back down I passed a ton of people.
Only one guy said something, couldn't tell if it was sarcasism or real but either way seemed cool with it.

The guy at the start did mention something I think he worked for national forests or parks, was dressed in uniform and made sure ai knew it was not okay for me to shoot animals.
I laughed and said I wasn't there to hurt anything and I don't kill anything that's not trying to kill me.
He was cool about it.

But either way I could care less what other think. If I'm hiking I'm going to be as comfortable as possible.

I've had people ask me why before and I explain it to them, bears, cougars, or meth heads there's always something out there that can try to harm you.
And let them know if they needed help I would run towards them and not away from them. After explaining most of that they are usually cool with that.

Once they know your not some crazy redneck or nutjob they become relaxed. I take the time to talk and don't bring any attention to it.

Either way, F them. They can do them, I'll do me.

I open carry a .454 Ruger in the chest rig. I'd assume anyone hiking knows why I have it...

Had people make comments about nice gun, big gun, etc.

Never had any bad reactions thus far and the retention is excellent and quick to deploy. I've been lucky to not have any negative experiences thus far...

Went hiking last weekend with the Missus and the boys. We were in national forest on the border between northern Idaho and Montana. Definitely bear/moose/wolf country. So I was carrying in a holster OWB my .45 with an extra mag in my pocket. We crossed paths with a lot of folks and nobody said a word, though they did a lot of gushing over the dogs, and were probably distracted. Heck, on the way up we even passed some twenty-somethings who were coming down and one was carrying a big black badass rifle, which would probably have scared the brown stuff out of some people in certain areas, but out here it seemed fine. He passed by me so fast I thought it was a shotgun, but the Missus got a better look and said it was a rifle, though she didn't know what kind. Everyone was casual.

One of the boys (the guy on the left, below) gave me a hip bump that almost tossed me off a cliff. The Missus dove and grabbed me just before I went over. I guess she still cares... or maybe she remembered I had the keys.

RevettLake_170819.jpg

Totally agree. All that high tech plastic stuff is awful compared to good old leather holster with a snap closure on it. Air circulates, full freedom of movement, cheap - what's not to like?
My Redhawk has a Blackhawk leather holster. Not too cheap. Money well spent though.

Most anti gun people imo are less likely to hassle you for a weapon they think isn't a weapon of war, assault clipazine baby killing machine secretly funded by the evil nra. Just remind them John Wayne was a democrat.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews