JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
illegal gun crime rises so their asking the criminals to turn in their illegal guns?

Hey, nobody said it made sense, but it looks good on the record....as ever, most of the stuff handed in will either be total junk airguns, deacts and so on, or the odd gem found in the attic, like the Yellow Boy and ammunition.

And THIS -

'By Will Bennett

12:01AM BST 15 Jul 2002

A rare Colt revolver discovered after the death of the elderly woman in whose house it was found has turned out to be worth more than twice as much as her house. The beautifully engraved Colt Paterson percussion revolver, which was made in the United States in about 1840, is expected to fetch up to £120,000 when it is auctioned at Bonhams in London on July 24.

The terrace house in an unnamed town in the North of England, where the woman lived alone, is thought to be only worth about £50,000.

The revolver, in superb condition in its original presentation box with accessories such as a bullet mould and a cleaning rod, was discovered when Bonhams was asked to clear the house of the woman's possessions following her death.

Although not firearms experts, Bonhams local representatives thought the revolver looked sufficiently interesting to be worth sending to the auction house's headquarters in Knightsbridge.'

I myself located an unfired Colt Navy, factory-cased with everything - with a bit of warning, that was bought by the late, great Herbie Woodend MBE for the National Collection in the MoD Pattern Room.

tac

Let me just remind you all - again.

This year, so far, FIVE people - ALL crims - have been killed with illegally-held firearms of one kind or another in the UK, a small collection of four countries holding 65 Million inhabitants.

For the non-mathematically-minded out there, that means that if another ONE person dies from the illegal use of a firearm, then that represents a 20% rise in the number of deaths by gun in UK.

Of course, 20% sounds like a NORFUL lot more than one person in every 11-something MILLION, right?

tac

Ang on Tac, that's not what the crime stats are saying, they're including all crime, not just homicide.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

If you truly believe that one in 80,000 - the chance of being involved in ANY kind of shooting incident in UK, is the same as one in 5,000, the chance etc in the US, is actually the same odds, then I can't help you out.

tac

Quote from the UK National Office of Statistics -

The murder rate in England and Wales has risen sharply for the first time in a decade at a time when police have diverted detectives to investigate historic sex abuse and allegations against tabloid newspapers.

New figures show that the number of murders and manslaughter deaths increased by 14 per cent last year bringing the annual total to 574, or 11 deaths a week.

Officials at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the surge was concentrated in London and the South East and described it as "peculiar".

However, police sources said contributory factors may have been the re-deployment of detectives in London – where a fifth of the additional murders took place – as well as growing violence among migrants, including organised gangs.

Murders in the capital jumped from 99 to 113, most in the Metropolitan Police area, while in the rest of the South East totals rose from 11 to 18 in Kent, seven to 16 in Thames Valley, seven to 15 in Surrey, five to 13 in Sussex and 13 to 21 in Essex. The rises buck the trend of the last decade. Murders and manslaughters have dropped or remained static every year since 2004.'

Let's just put that into context, given the UK population of just over 65 million people.

The year in question saw a TOTAL of 574 people feloniously done to death by a variety of methods, in the entire United Kingdom.

That is one person in 0.0008830769%, or 1 person in 80 thousand.

In the USA, the number of people feloniously done to death in a typical year was around 16,238. This averages out to around 44 murders per day. These figures, which are based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2011 statistics, include 11,068 deaths by firearms. In Chicago alone in 2016 that amounted to 762 victims.

THAT overall figure is 0.00495061% or 1 person in 5 thousand.

So, 1 in 80000, or 1 in 5000. You do the math.

I'll make it easier for you. Given that the USA has a population of -
321,605,012, and the UK population is 66,266,179, it's simple to figure out that the UK's population represents ca. 1/5th [20%] of the US population. Soooooooooooooooooo, to get an equivalent figure, we multiply the number of deaths in the UK by a factor of 5.

'kay?

So in UK that computation results in a TOTAL of 2870 people done to death by various means.

In the same year, 11,068 people were killed by firearms alone in the US, out of a total of 16238.

That, I bleeve, blows the argument right out of the water that the UK is more violent than the USA.

There will be no more argument from me on this subject.

tac

I'll make it easier for you. Given that the USA has a population of -
321,605,012, and the UK population is 66,266,179, it's simple to figure out that the UK's population represents ca. 1/5th [20%] of the US population. Soooooooooooooooooo, to get an equivalent figure, we multiply the number of deaths in the UK by a factor of 5.

'kay?

So in UK that computation results in a TOTAL of 2870 people done to death by various means.

In the same year, 11,068 people were killed by firearms alone in the US, out of a total of 16238.

I think the article I shared was trying to point out the factor of 5 to equalize the difference in total population beteen the two countries.

2870x5 is well over 14000 people.

we multiply the number of deaths in the UK by a factor of 5.

'kay?

Some of them were killed using illegal firearms, but only some, not all.

Last Edited:
OK, THIS is what I was looking for - the figures of SHOOTINGS.....

Including from the so-far un-named person who was shot dead yesterday, there have been a TOTAL of FIVE gun-related incidents in London so far this year - they are -

Wednesday night's shooting on Hamilton Road marks the fifth gun-related incident in London this year, and the first in which a person was actually hit with a bullet. Here's a rundown of incidents so far this year:

June 17: House on Cedarhollow Boulevard struck by three bullets. Family inside was unhurt. Police charge 17-year-old two months later.

March 29: Townhouse on North Centre Road complex struck by multiple bullets. Nobody hurt.

Feb. 18: Townhouse in Huron Street public housing complex struck by at least three bullets. Police discover damage five days later after housing authority staff found spent casings. Nobody hurt.

Aug. 29: Bullets struck two vehicles during a shooting in a Wavell Street complex. Witnesses reported altercation between two men before gunfire. Police have arrest warrant for Ayanle Aden, 23, on more than a dozen weapons and drug charges.

Oct. 26: 19-year-old shot on Hamilton Road, near Rectory Street. Police are seeking a suspect who's described as a black man with a muscular build, about 20 years old, five-foot-eight with a scar on his left cheek. He was wearing a red jacket, red pants with white stripes down the legs and the AC Milan soccer club logo near the right front pocket and red shoes.

Note, please, that in both cases where a description has been given, one IS black and the other has a name that would not usually be associated with anybody who is NOT black.

Fact - most crime, gun-related, drug-related, gun and drug-related, gang-related, gang, drug and gun-related, is carried out by the non-white part of the UK population. Second highest proportion carried out, particularly in the East of the country where there is a large influx of Eastern Europeans and Balts, is carried out by Eastern Europeans and Balts, many of whom come to this country already in possession of an impressive rap-sheet in their own country, often for rape, murder, or both.

tac

In 2015 there were 51 gun homicides in the UK.

The population is 65M - about 1/5th that of the US.

Making the UK popuation the same size as the US, you have to multiply 51 by 5. This = 254 killings by firearm.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Now I'm usually a pretty easy-going guy, ready to help out my fellow shooter, but this is all getting pretty tiresome.

Ease up on the UK, eh? There are plenty of other countries to pick on, I'm sure.

Nobodys picking on the UK Tac...

Its just a conversation, gun control is a complex subject. Relax, we all love hearing your reports from there...

Bat'leth

The weapons amnesty in Guernsey has been going well with the public handing in knives, hand guns, swords, a bat'leth, rifles...wait What?

PROD-SWNS_KLINGON_SWORD_01.jpg

Guernsey?

Guernsey is one of the four Channel Islands. It is not part of the UK, but a Crown Dependency like Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands. I'm afraid that is another subject entirely...

Being part of the original Duchy of Normandy, Duke William already 'owned' the Channel Islands when he invaded mainland England in 1066AD. So in theory at least, the Channel Islands are 'superior' in lineal monarchic descent to mainland UK.

tac

Let's put it this way, before this degenerates into a nyaa-nyaa match.. If I wrote on this forum that all the women in YOUR town were just lying on their back waving their legs in the air, begging for it, would YOU like it?

tac

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads