JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For minor first-time offenses there are some upsides to corporal punishment. There is no need for jail time. It's more likely that there will be a penalty given, rather than a suspended jail sentence. Once meted out it can't be reduced due to overcrowding. Punishment can be administered while criminals can still remember what the heck it was they did exactly.

and....

"You're not going to be able to sit down for a week" always got my attention more than a "You're going to be grounded young man!"

Last Edited:
Getting whacked by a switch to the arse is a whole lot different then caning.

Caning leaves severe and permenant welts on your skin.

I've been to Singapore more times then I can count...

Corporal punishment will never happen in the US.

Closesst we will ever get, and are seeming to get away from is road trash cleanup crews from county jails.

I do seem to recall a judge sentencing some guy to wearing a sign on a corner or somesuch as his punishment though kinda recently. That type of punishment we need more of...have to have a conscience for it to work though...

If this was a stunt it was a really stupid one. The "pickpocket" is inviting a response from someone in the crowd that could result in some serious injuries to himself or innocent bystanders. The "actors" are in serious need of some counseling by law enforcement.

If this was a stunt it was a really stupid one. The "pickpocket" is inviting a response from someone in the crowd that could result in some serious injuries to himself or innocent bystanders. The "actors" are in serious need of some counseling by law enforcement.

I could certainly be wrong (I often am..), but I "think" faking a crime is in of itself a criminal act.

Didn't click on the video (phone); but from what folks are mentioning public disturbance would be an easy charge to field for an attorney with minimal skills.

If this was a prank it was in poor taste.
If it was a "study" ... Well I'm no genius , but its not to hard to figure out*:
That many people won't even notice the "stealing of the wallet".
Most won't say anything if they did see it.
Some folks will step up and either call 911 or take a more "pro-active" approach to stopping the "thief" and "crime."

As mentioned above the chance of creating a public disturbance or otherwise needlessly tying up Law Enforcement / First Responders needs to be addressed to the folks who created this Prank / Study.
( If that's what this was... )
*Edit to add ... Without having to resort to a "study" like in the OP.
Andy

Last Edited:
Okay, so it sounds like this was a prank/study, I'm going to continue my post as if it was the real deal, for the sake of chewing the fat on an issue like this.

First, yes, it's a low-life move. And yes, I would support some kind of corporal punishment, though I don't think that will ever happen here in the US - far too many people think criminals shouldn't be punished and far too many of them are politicians, lawyers, etc. We are way to soft on crime in some cases, and that, to me, just gives the bad guys a license to do even more.

But I also want to make an observation. This 'event' happened very quickly. Watch the folks standing around. Most are focused, as they should, on the guy having the seizure, but even seeing this happening, they don't respond immediately. Why? I've seen this happen in real life with medical events and people just freeze for a moment while they process what's going on internally. If you're not a first responder, it can take a moment before you realize and decide that you need to get involved. It's not apathy or lack of compassion, it's rapidly shifting your focus, which is on non-urgent things to an emergency, and that can take a few seconds to process for many folks. I've found myself hesitating just a brief time, wondering if I should jump in to help - sometimes it's me thinking there may be a more qualified person to handle things.

As to the 'crime', well, same thing. Only in the crime scenario, there is more to process. What do I do? Confront the bad guy? If so, will he get violent? Will he attack me? Does he have a weapon? If I am carrying, should I be stepping in to stop a simple wallet grab? We all have to weigh those things before we respond. Police officers have the benefit of being tasked with stopping crime as part of their jobs, so for them, it's a no-brainer, you jump in and stop the crime. The rest of us are not going about our days looking to do that.

I interceded in a fight once between a guy that just lost his sh!t and jumped a fence to punch a guy he had been having words with. He ran at the guy and threw a punch at him. Problem was that the guy was holding his young daughter - the punch went right between the guy's face and his daughter's, knocking them both to the ground. I was about 10 feet from this when it happened. The guy that threw the punch was running forward as he did it, so he lost his balance and went down too. I ran up and grabbed him, pulled him up, locked both of his arms behind him and threw him up against a wall, using my size to hold him in place. We were at a restaurant and these two had been arguing in the restaurant. The one guy, his buddy and their kids were leaving when the other guy, in the outside seating area, was still talking crap to the other two - one of them said something back to him, that's when he jumped the fence. So, as I have this guy pressed up against the wall, the manager comes out and threatens to have me arrested for starting a fight. That pissed me off, so I told him to shut his f$%king mouth, make himself useful and call the police, which he turned around and did. Once Mr. Tough Guy calmed down substantially, I had him sit at the curb until the cops got there to sort things out. Only after that did I learn that Mr. Tough Guy had been carrying a large Bowie knife in the small of his back. Could have turned out bad for me. And that was back at a time when I didn't carry regularly, like I do now.

Point was though, it still took me a moment to process what was happening and how or if I would get involved. The trigger for me was the punch that looked like it landed on the kid - that pushed me into immediate action. Otherwise, if the two guys wanted to work out their grievance, I may have let it be, so long as they weren't killing each other.

One more item of reference. Years ago I was parked at a 7-11 early one morning. The place was busy, so I had to park out at the edge of the lot with a few other cars. Shortly after I walked inside, I hear a loud 'crunch' outside - a guy had just plowed into my car. I turn around to run out to see what was going on as this guy goes all hit-and-run on me. After I got to the lot, I saw no less than 5 people that saw the whole thing. Guess how many got the guy's license plate? ZERO. Not a single damn person could do a simple thing like even take down a license plate number. They were all just locked up having their normal routine disturbed by something like that. Well, when the cops got there, I had noticed that the car that hit me had been parked right in front of the store as per one witness, right in a spot where the security camera would see his plate! So I asked the officer if he could review the tape, which he did, and he got an ID. The guy was an ambulance driver that had a terrible driving record and stood to lose his job if he had another accident, which is why he bolted. They got the guy and I had to deal with my insurance, because he didn't have any :mad: But again, point being, your average person is so lost in their own world, even a simple thing like taking a piece of information is beyond their capability.

Ultimately, not everyone is mentally or physically equipped to get involved, and if they are, it may take a little time to process what they need to do. Unfortunately, in that processing time, the act may actually be over.

This POS in the video is so smug and has zero fear of any consequences, that he is just screaming to be made an example of. What bothers me even more is that noone lifted a finger to stop him or prevent him from leaving Walmart.

If you have high blood pressure you probably shouldn't watch this.

Decades ago I was at a church were a guy from Saudi was speaking. Someone asked him about the "draconian punishments" like for thieves. He said yes we cut the hand off if we find you stealing. He said it had been a VERY long time since he had seen anyone getting their hand cut off. He said people just don't steal. He said the last time he saw it happen it was some foreigner who did not know our laws.
His point was well made. No one here wants to see this guy's hand cut off. I would have ZERO problem seeing him publicly flogged. I don't care if he carries scars for life from it. The reason he felt he could do what he did with people filming him is he has been taught he can.

I have for a while now been saying these idiots doing these stunts should be jailed. Some are funny. A LOT of them are begging to get shot.

Maybe not so much caning but let us use humiliation and dehumanizing to its fullest in this instant technology world.

Bring back the stocks. Let your family feed you and wipe your arse for the days you are left in here. See just how many of your homies have your back now.

IMG_2661.JPG

Maybe not so much caning but let us use humiliation and dehumanizing to its fullest in this instant technology world.

Bring back the stocks. Let your family feed you and wipe your arse for the days you are left in here. See just how many of your homies have your back now.

View attachment 352573

I got your back as long as there is a hose nearby - let's not punish the friends and family too much

I've seen lots of seizures but never one quite like that. Nobody rolled the victim onto his left side and curled him up plus putting a wad of paper towels between his teeth. Be careful with that. Fingers can be chomped right off.

What gets me is nobody even considered stopping the guy from stealing the guys wallet. But ... I was not there to stop the guy. But ... be careful doing that. Don't make things worse. Still bother me a bit to watch that vid. :(

ex FF PM RN

I've seen lots of seizures but never one quite like that. Nobody rolled the victim onto his left side and curled him up plus putting a wad of paper towels between his teeth. Be careful with that. Fingers can be chomped right off.

What gets me is nobody even considered stopping the guy from stealing the guys wallet. But ... I was not there to stop the guy. But ... be careful doing that. Don't make things worse. Still bother me a bit to watch that vid. :(

ex FF PM RN

Didn't clicky, seems folks determined it to be staged. Why one would do that behouves me...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top