JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious to know how this is viewed by active duty folks. Personally, I'll bet it has more to do with a lack of personnel more than honest analysis and restructuring.

I'm curious to know how this is viewed by active duty folks. Personally, I'll bet it has more to do with a lack of personnel more than honest analysis and restructuring.
It sucks. I was in during a major drawdown and restructuring. I had the same assignment for 4 years, but our unit changed 3 times. Had a huge line to go to BNOC, took over 2 years to get my spouse to join me in Europe and we changed duty station from Germany to Ft. Lewis. I joined in part to get away from W. WA.

They keep saying they can no longer find enough people. Easy to see why they went woke. So the answer is to just say they are going to cut back?? Sure makes sense to me :s0140:
The shift from a military culture to something resembling a corporate office environment is a huge reason people are leaving my branch. I'm not even going to break out the soap box, it just gets my blood pressure up.

It sucks. I was in during a major drawdown and restructuring. I had the same assignment for 4 years, but our unit changed 3 times. Had a huge line to go to BNOC, took over 2 years to get my spouse to join me in Europe and we changed duty station from Germany to Ft. Lewis. I joined in part to get away from W. WA.
I knew a few guys who were pushed out, I want to say it was the late 2000's. Took a lot of folks by surprise I think, and definitely left them bitter. Can't say I blame them. If TPTB would let the senior enlisted have a say in the decisions that are made things would run much smoother. 2 years as a geo bachelor? That blows!

I knew a few guys who were pushed out, I want to say it was the late 2000's. Took a lot of folks by surprise I think, and definitely left them bitter. Can't say I blame them. If TPTB would let the senior enlisted have a say in the decisions that are made things would run much smoother. 2 years as a geo bachelor? That blows!
I was only in the USCG for 4 years and that was '77-'81, but there were, and probably are, a lot of people in the military who view it as a career, and a stable secure career. Then to be dumped because "we don't need you anymore" after being told (kind of) "we're family" and "we've got your six" - that does make a person bitter - yes.

I left because the military wasn't for me. I saw the dysfunctional leadership (in a number of different ways) and turn over (about 50%) and that there wasn't the future there I wanted. I could have played the game, kept my mouth shut and been satisfied with a stable but basically boring career where I did the same thing day in and day out - but that wasn't what I wanted.

I gained the confidence in my military experience (I earned it - nobody taught me that) and I just tired of being told what to do without the ability to give feedback or, more importantly to me, the ability to just tell them to "take this job and shove it" and walk away (something I did later in the private sector - kind of).

And I am glad I did not re-enlist, despite senior enlisted telling me I would regret it - I didn't and I don't.

Then to be dumped because "we don't need you anymore" after being told (kind of) "we're family" and "we've got your six"

I saw the dysfunctional leadership (in a number of different ways) and turn over

And I am glad I did not re-enlist, despite senior enlisted telling me I would regret it - I didn't and I don't.
The game hasn't changed much since your departure. I've seen the "you'll regret getting out" speech a thousand times, always makes me laugh. I stuck around for the insurance because I wasn't too good at pulling out - making a career of it was never the idea. The only speech I give the folks who want out is to have a plan. How many folks make a living and enjoy fulfilling lives outside the service? An overwhelming majority. I don't think a career in the service is for the sane or well adjusted, but I don't judge anyone's choice either way. IMHO the service will see improved retention when they give folks something they can't get elsewhere.

Real leadership and a separation from politics and social experimentation wouldn't hurt either.

At the end of the day, I'm probably just butthurt that I've been shoveling coal into the boilers of the Titanic all these years.

Edit: I should probably add that for the most part I've enjoyed my time in. Good pay, a little travel, and plenty of misadventures with great people. As a 20 year old going nowhere fast, I'd do it again.

Last Edited:
I've seen the "you'll regret getting out" speech a thousand times, always makes me laugh.
Yes - I had an CPO (I forget if he was E-8 or E-9) who was billeted at the station to serve until he retired. He gave the "the civilian world is a lot harder than the military", etc. speech several times to junior enlisted (the CG had real issues then with re-enlistment; 50% were first enlistment and most of those did not re-enlist).

I learned that he enlisted as a young man (17-18) and had since never worked in a civilian job. Once he gave the speech about how hard it was to make a living as a civilian and I asked him (in front of others) how he would know that, since he had never worked as a civilian in his adult life - he had always been in the CG. That shut him up that day - he had no answer. To put a point on it, after he retired, the only job he could find was a night watchman at a log yard (he was a Machinery Technician with a lot of "engineering" experience) - although I am not sure if he ever found another job, that is what he did for several years after retiring.

I knew several others who re-enlisted just for the job security because they were not confident that they could make it in the civilian world. One guy still lived in his parent's basement.

I knew how hard the private sector was - I enlisted when I was 23, not 18 like many others. But I wanted to use my GI Bill education benefits and I did. It took a while, but I eventually got a job in "hi-tech" and moved up from there - I never looked back.

As a 20 year old going nowhere fast, I'd do it again.
I wouldn't. If I had it to do over again I would have gone to college earlier and got my career started 6 years faster. Indeed, if I could go back to high school age, I would have started then, not gotten my ex-wife pregnant, not gotten married and got into "hi-tech" at the ground floor 10+ years earlier.

The shift from a military culture to something resembling a corporate office environment is a huge reason people are leaving my branch. I'm not even going to break out the soap box, it just gets my blood pressure up.
I met a couple retired cops who told me the same thing.

I wouldn't. If I had it to do over again I would have gone to college earlier and got my career started 6 years faster. Indeed, if I could go back to high school age, I would have started then, not gotten my ex-wife pregnant, not gotten married and got into "hi-tech" at the ground floor 10+ years earlier.
Some people know what they want to do with their lives from an early age.

The only smart thing I did in my 20s was not get anyone pregnant. I did not find my footing in life until my early 30s. I was a smart kid and tough as hell. Working a "regular" job with lame people simply did not interest me. I wanted to test myself. But pretty much everyone discouraged me from joining the military, including many veterans. I've talked to many guys who had a similar experience to my own. Just sort of sleepwalked through their 20s and wish they had done something else during that time.

Some people know what they want to do with their lives from an early age.
At 18 I just wanted to be on my own and to get laid. I was stupid, foolish, lazy and horny.

Once I became a parent (at 20), then I had responsibility and I had to start thinking about the future as someone who didn't even have a HS diploma. It took 3 years of not making any progress to then decide to enlist in order to have a steady income and a secure job.

I did 16 years in the service, air force. Clinton did a drawdown in the early 90's & they offered early retirement with full benefits. I jumped on that, any time they think they have excess people it gets crazy. Worked at a local computer company for another 20 years and retired for good. No regrets with either job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top