JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've already drawn a line in the sand regarding these gun laws in Oregon, and if IPs 17 and/or 18 (or any like them) pass and stick, I'm leaving after 50 years here. I understand that the same (and worse) are in the works on the national level, but I'd prefer to be around more like-minded people when that goes down…

My hope is that there are enough new gun owners who understand the consequences and will help us hold the line, or that it will immediately be tied up in court with an eventual win. However, if my personal liberties and longtime lifestyle become that egregiously unwelcome in this most "inclusive" state such that they try and make a criminal out of me, I'll give up my very good job and throw in the towel.

Sure. Abortion is a highly political issue. A woman's right to choose has been under attack since the day Roe was decided. Each of the last three justices to be seated on the SCOTUS was asked about Roe and whether it was settled precedent. Each responded "yes." None of the legal reasoning underpinning Roe has changed, what's changed is the political leanings of a majority of the members of the Court - the legal reasoning underpinning Roe hasn't changed, the Justices have.

Gun rights are also a highly political issue. If the law of the land concerning abortion can change based on the political leanings of the justices on the SCOTUS, what's to prevent some future liberal SCOTUS from deciding that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" actually does limit the balance of the second amendment, conclude that the militias that the 2A referred to have been replaced by the National Guard, and read the balance of the 2A out of the Constitution?

So yes, a decision overturning Roe, means that no decision of the SCOTUS concerning a highly politicized issue is safe, including Heller; and the basis for overturning Heller based on the plain language of the 2A is a lot better than the case for overturning Roe. Finally, as has been pointed out, Roe is as important to the left as Heller is to the right. Kill Roe? When the SCOTUS shifts to the left again, you won't have to wait too long for an angry left to bring cases challenging Heller.
Fair enough. I don't share your view of the first facilitating the second; a conservative court upholding or overturning Roe will have zero affect on a liberal court upholding or overturning Heller.

I don't believe the supreme court, any US court, acts like a legislature - you vote for this and I'll vote for that kind of horse trading. Highly politicized case or no.

A liberal supreme court will indeed (IMO) overturn Heller whether Roe exists or not.

Yep and somebody will be along shortly to say, this can't happen here, we have the 2A. Believe or not many Americans believe the 2A only gives you the right to bear a musket. Others believe the 2A should be abolished all together. One day we will have a majority that feels that way. It seems we are not that far off on the west coast.
This Prod is not alone in her beliefs.

Worn out dogma. Everyone is a broken record now.
Not everyone, only those with self imposed cognitive dissonance proclaiming the 2A cannot be take literally and the 1A clearly means an 18yr old can spread her legs for the pleasure of men sitting on bar stools and murdering a human in the womb is just a matter of semantics.

Now add the element of ratting out dissenters via anonymous reporting phone lines and websites and we have a situation that would make communist Russia proud.
So the game is to rat the rats... preferably setting up a disposable email that looks like it belongs to ANOTHER Kapo Kollaborator.

#FJBAndAllKaposToo

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads