JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last time I was in Ore I asked around and largely got no response. I visited southern Ore and it was a non issue. I was just some old guy filling up my RV at the gas station. No one even noticed. [I do see I can fill my own tank this year].
We are going back to the area around Medford. Anything else changed? DR

The Portland area, if I recall, gets a little weird but the issues with that are solved by having a CHL. Other than that, AFAIK it's an open carry legal even if not friendly state

Depends on the city ordinances. Some cities require you to have a CHL to carry a loaded firearm in the open carry fashion. If you don't have a CHL in those cities you can open carry but it has to be unloaded.

Edit -

Yes, without a license. However, local governments can prohibit open carry for persons who do not have an Oregon concealed handgun license and are carrying a loaded handgun in public places (inside of vehicles are considered public places). For instance, the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem and Independence, plus the entirety of Multnomah County, prohibit open carry of loaded firearms. All public buildings are off-limits for those that open carry without an Oregon concealed handgun license.

The only open carry allowed in portland; crack pipes, any and all drugs, sex toys, nudity on bicycles for all to see,.. etc. You know, all the opposites of a normal/good/decent society. You could walk into a bank with dildos in a chest rig and that would be ok but not a gun!......... No, no, no, can't have that... That would be too normal or "old fashioned".....

Portland also does not allow loaded magazines, clips or speed loaders in public without a CHL. I believe MultCo is similar.

Last Edited:
The only open carry allowed in portland; crack pipes, any and all drugs, sex toys, nudity on bicycles for all to see,.. etc. You know, all the opposites of a normal/good/decent society. You could walk into a bank with dildos in a chest rig and that would be ok but not a gun!......... No, no, no, can't have that... That would be too normal or "old fashioned".....
Don't forget PPS kindergarten classes, too!

Medford, Grants Pass and all areas south of crazy town are fine with open carry. You should have no problem what so ever (except close to the college in Ashland).

To answer you original question, Yes, Oregon is still an open carry state!

Last time I was in Ore I asked around and largely got no response. I visited southern Ore and it was a non issue. I was just some old guy filling up my RV at the gas station. No one even noticed. [I do see I can fill my own tank this year].
Oregon is still open carry, except the I5 corridor from Portland to Salem. Generally, anything east of the Cascades is freedom filled.

Not quite. Multnomah county, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem and Independence are the ones in the North Valley with no restriction. If you come down I5, you're OK from 217 to the Salem Parkway.
Unless MultCo changed it, they don't allow loaded open carry.

I just got back from a week on the road. Three days in Southern OR. Not one person noticed my gun or cared.
One thing I will say about Ore. is your roads are so much better! I used to travel a lot for work and at that time CA had the better roads.
I passed through Yreka at about noon, so we stopped for fast food. Noon must be when the homeless wake up. We must have seen 50 people dragging filthy sleeping bags.
Once across the border the roads got better, and we saw very few homeless. DR

I just got back from a week on the road. Three days in Southern OR. Not one person noticed my gun or cared.
One thing I will say about Ore. is your roads are so much better! I used to travel a lot for work and at that time CA had the better roads.
I passed through Yreka at about noon, so we stopped for fast food. Noon must be when the homeless wake up. We must have seen 50 people dragging filthy sleeping bags.
Once across the border the roads got better, and we saw very few homeless. DR
Maybe in southern Oregon but up north here roads aren't great and there are a lot of homeless all times of the day.

Oregon is technically an open carry state, but within that law there is a carve out that allows cities/towns to not allow it within city boundaries. Southern Oregon and most of Eastern Oregon you would be fine.
Want to go into cities over in the Valley? Cover it with your T-shirt, but then you will need an Oregon concealed carry permit (no reciprocity with any other state).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top