JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think like probably most of us have at some point, I've toyed with the idea of snagging some body armor... range use, SHTF, just to feel cool seeing it hanging on the rack in my man cave.... whatever. Have never done it.. always seemed a little too pricey for a guy who doesn't even bother to carry a gun concealed anymore. In other words, just never been that into it, and gradually even becoming less so.

However, despite my decade+ old policy of not paying attention to the media in any way shape or form, and despite how blissful it's been not knowing whats going on in the world or why some people seem so pissed off about so much stuff.... there are some current events that have managed to infiltrate the outer walls of my Castle of Ignorance. And I'm thinking maybe it's time to go ahead and grab it now, rather than wish I had before it was too late and I gotta live through a post-apocalyptic hell without.

Given America's love for the AR15 and AK47/74, I feel like these are the rounds to defeat, without having to pack around any more weight than necessary - assuming full power/magnum-ish .30+ cal loadings would require heavier plates...

So what are some good options to look at for intermediate rifle calibers...? Criteria being coverage and weight, then cost.. but obviously looking for best value, not highest cost (I'm willing to spend, but I don't want to throw money away)

I mean, what's the best compromise between protection, weight/practicality, and cost?

What are local-level law enforcement wearing these days, and how much protection do you get from it? I'd kind of been under the vague assumption most patrol were all sporting plates these days, which made me hopeful there was some kind of new, super lightweight, HSLD plates out there, but upon closer inspection it seems it's just carriers or loadout vests with no plates, unless they're geared up for high risk warrant service or riot bubblegum. And last I knew, there was NO soft armor on the market capable of defeating a 5.56/5.45 or 7.62x39, no?

Thanks in advance gents.

Unless there was a SHTF situation, I don't think I'd ever use or carry body armor around. Too damned cumbersome and uncomfortable. I DO think its a good item to have around though.

You need plates. At least legit Level III rated body armor. Level IV if you want some protection from larger rounds. If you just want something thats light weight and will protect against the most common rounds, check out the DFNDR LEVEL III+ rifle plate. I've never used it, but at first glance it seems to meet your requirements.

Plate Carriers and Body Armor - Could use some pointers
have a stroll through this thread; people raised lots of good points here. Consensus is basically....

Get the best/most protection that you can afford.

At a minimum, Level 3 hard armor, and 3A soft armor (usually used as backers in vests),
If you feel you need to defeat one shot of .30-06 AP M2 ammo, Level 4 hard plate with trauma padding behind, would be your go to.

Level 2A and 2 soft armor are basically frag armor, with 2 being resistant to 9mm and .357 Magnum I believe. 2A I think is mostly shrapnel and .38 special. Level 3a boosts protection to .44 Mag and 9mm from carbines. Level 3 is resistant to 5.56 and .308 Winchester, however, they may not be totally resistant to the black tip AP ammo from these two calibers... Level 4 is resistant up to one shot of 30-06 Armor Piercing M2 round, so should also be good against black tipped 7.62x51 AP and 5.56 armor piercing ammo available to the military.

EDIT:
It comes down to how much weight, and how much money can you spend.

AR500 is OK for Level 3A hard/Level 3, but way bulky. Ceramic Level 3 hard is great for weight, but quite expensive. Several companies have Level 4 ceramic plates on sale at same or less prices of LEvel 3 armor.

I carry level 3A protection nearly every day.

Bulletproof Clipboard | Bulletproof Clipboards and Inserts | Hardwire LLC

0000_2048x2048.jpg

Like I said, cost is actually my last concern, but it is a concern. Last of 3 criteria - Lightweight, capable of intermediate rifle protection (so I guess III is THE level I'm looking for), and then both of these at the best price I can find them at.

And I'd like to throw "flexibility," in there as a 4th criteria... if it exists. That'd be dope. Too much to ask for breathability too???

And yea, this'll be for SHTF and/or apocalypse practical use, or otherwise just range training. And I'll definitely be wearing it on the range, and training hard in it, because if I ever did needing to apply those skills honed on the range - I'm gonna be donning my armor. Hopefully.

Hopefully it'll just be wasted money. But dayum.... lotta really angry people out there these days. Seems like maybe we're finally on the verge of major social unrest. I don't know if I believe apocalyptic level... but SHTF situations can flare up anywhere at any time for a variety of reasons - and even more so in these situations, better to be able to survive it and live through it and come out the other side un-perforated.

I have some 6" AR500 plates for target shooting and they are pretty remarkable against 5.56 @100 yds. I also have some AR500 type body armor that I haven't shot but expect to be as good in a Condor rig.

It's about 17 lbs and cumbersome but not to bad for a short time. My daughter was at Portland State. Was mentally playing what if antifa...but she's more likely to join them these days. Glad she out.

Regardless of type of armor, its gonna be hot and sweaty because of the way they are constructed. However, there are a few carriers that have air mesh padding and air channels to improve ventilation some.
The worst offenders are the concealable soft armor, which are usually up to Level 3A, I have yet to find Level 3 soft, although NIJ states its possible.

RMA Defense have Level 4 hard plates on sale
Level IV Hard Armor Plate (Model #1155) NIJ .06 Certified | RMA Armament - Personal Body Armor

Their Level 3 hard plate is about $100 more but 5 pounds lighter (3.3lbs vs 8.3lbs) per plate. This means a total weight savings of 10 pounds for two plates in Level 3 versus level 4.
Level III Hard Armor Plate (Model #1078) | RMA Armament - Personal Body Armor

1) lightweight, you're looking at ceramics.

2) intermediate rifle protection, Level III (3)-Level 4

3) affordability, well. AR500 is cheapest, but the steel level 3 armor is the same weight as the ceramic level 4 armor; so think real hard on that.

4) flexibility, pretty difficult, but not impossible

There is another option which MAY be more expensive overall, but may not be... 3A soft armor with 8x10 trauma plate insert; I believe Second Chance used to offer such an insert that was basically Level 3 or Level 4 in conjunction with Level 3A soft armor and smaller Level 3 trauma plate. It was called K47 armor insert, the smaller one is K30 insert; understand these were either steel or titanium armor plates that are quite small, nothing like the modern stand alone hard plates.

Ive been looking recently. The ar500 brand level 3+ lightweight seems prettt legit. A little closer to the weight of ceramic plates. They make it in multi bend(probably the wrong term) which is supoosed to fit more like esapi, you can get a thicker anti-spauling coating on them. And theyre right at $300 for front and back in that configuration. I think it was right around 15 or 16 lbs, which seems fine by me

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top