JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What do you think is “bugging out” a better plan than “bugging in”?[/QUOTE said:
Depends on the cause of the "situation." Where we live the greatest risk is probably earthquake related, so we would be focused on "digging out" rather than "bugging out." Uncontrolled fires are an unlikely threat. Flooding is not a threat. Radioactive fallout from an event of some sort would likely happen too quickly to make bugging out realistic. We don't really focus on "bug out" plans because we don't see any likely scenarios where we would be better off heading for the hills. I don't have a "bug-out" bag (but I do have a "get home" bag). Transforming it to a "bug-out" bag would entail stuffing in some important documents.

Forgot to mention. My fear is being a long way from home if something (earthquake most likely) happens. I always have a plan for the best way(s) to "bug out" to back home as fast as possible if required.

Here is another 'Thing' to consider:
The Survival Movement started when the Russians launched thier 1st ICBM,,,about 1959.
The Movement gained momentem when Carter was elected in the what? 1970's?
Two generations have made thier homes, buying land, making new homes, new familys exactly where you think you deserve to live.
So you think your gonna bug-out to some innocent, pristine Utopia?
Think again.
YOU are most deffinately not welcome here.
Show up with 1 ton of supplies per person (as in the Yukon Gold Rush, enforced at the point of a gun by HMMF). Then we can talk.
Show up with nothing but guns and no food?
No talk needed.
Do not disregard this post

The Survival Movement started when the Russians launched thier 1st ICBM,,,about 1959.
Two generations have made thier homes, buying land, making new homes, new familys exactly where you think you deserve to live.
Think again.
Show up with 1 ton of supplies per person (as in the Yukon Gold Rush, enforced at the point of a gun by HMMF). Then we can talk.
No talk needed.

Well worded. If you're bugging out you're better off headed for National Forest or BLM land then someone's backyard.

-d

Think again.
No talk needed.

Absolutely true.

It's ALL someones backyard...

That is a good reason to consider owning a piece of undeveloped recreational property somewhere. A large parcel would be great, but even a small parcel with BLM or NFS at your backdoor would be good too. We don't own a piece yet, but my kind of "bugging out" would be to hook up a toyhauler and head for one's own remote property.

Interesting...he admits that their will be gangs flushing people fom home to home through fires, looting and other violent mens but proposes staying put.

Unless you have a small Army that can guard your place 24/7 or an underground secret bunker, why on earth would you want to stay? So you can stay in your comfy bed? So you don't have to ipe your arse with leaves? I understand that you may have more creature comforts in your home, but the safety should be more of a concern. He does make a good point, however. Most people only have enough supplies on hand to last them for a few dys....unless you have months (preferably a year's worth) of food at your destination, then bugging out is pretty much pointless. Does that mean you shouldn't bug out? No...does that even mean you should? It depend on your individual situation and location. No one plan will work for everyone. Period. But if you fail to plan then you are planning to fail.

Unless you have a small Army that can guard your place 24/7 or an underground secret bunker, why on earth would you want to stay?

Because I saw "The Road."

It depend on your individual situation and location. No one plan will work for everyone. Period. But if you fail to plan then you are planning to fail.

Exactly. Things don't fall apart overnight. Plan "A" would be to hunker down in the bunker. Plan "B" would be to change countries before things got really bad. Plan "C" would be to move to the family farm and blow the bridge.:gun16:

Because I saw "The Road."

Exactly. Things don't fall apart overnight. Plan "A" would be to hunker down in the bunker. Plan "B" would be to change countries before things got really bad. Plan "C" would be to move to the family farm and blow the bridge.:gun16:

All good - except for Plan "B" - There is nowhere to run. This the last best place on earth. If we let the bankers win here - it's lights out for humanity as we know it. Live or die right where I stand. God Bless America and all that.

I also have a "Plan D." But since I don't have a toyhauler (yet) and don't have a remote property (yet), "Plan D" isn't feasible. When ya think about it, all of the options I listed have been used, even in recent times. It just depends on the event. Choosing which one to activate is the real question. Can you imagine being a white farmer in Rhodesia, or a Jew in Nazi Germany? Hunker down? Leave? In retrospect leaving was the only option, yet it is human nature to think of all the reasons to stay. Thankfully most people in the developed world never have to make that choice.

I do hope we end up having just a global monetary system collapse and not a world war to go along with it. A world war would just be too darned much... Over the top... Don't need one... nope...

I plan on Bugging In (staying put) where most of my equipment and food are. Realize this can't be done by myself, as Survival is a team sport, so we have a survival group, much like "Survivors"...but on a smaller scale of prep. From here we have a Bug Out Plan with multiple routes to a lesser developed site that is remote, but has water. Hopefully our Bug Out is a planned one where we can move most all of our equipment and food in one movement. Our individual kit and Bug Out bags support a hasty Bug Out. Even at the most secure, well defended base camps there probably should be route(s) to a rendezvous point (rally point) in case the hasty bugout is a chaotic bug out as in being over ran by a larger force. We have caches at our remote Bug Out location, but they are no nearly large enough - maybe 3 weeks of food, a small amount of clothing, one can of seeds and nothing else as of yet, but are looking to emplace more caches.

We have two planned Bug Out scenarios. 1 - Bug Out when indicators suggest if we don't go now, refugees or mass migration clogging routes and maybe incurring a Government response would make an orderly, planned Bug Out difficult, and, 2 - other situations (not under attack) make it apparent that we have to leave now. We have four routes planned and driven on, some of which either intersect or use the same roads, but give us a primary, alternate, contingency and emergency (PACE) choices based on what we know or can surmise of the situation outside.

Found the comment by A.I.P. basically saying if someone shows up with guns and no supplies they will not be welcome. This is a tough subject. My group has talked many times about what to do about stragglers,...what if they are close or even distant family or close friends? What if they have nothing but skills? maybe an EMT-P or Veterinarian? I think you can have guidelines, but I think most will be approaching this on a case by case basis,....unless we lose our humanity along with our bank accounts during the collapse.

regards,
UrbanMan
Urban Survival Skills, Survival Equipment, Survival Planning and Preparation

Don't forget a home is a coffin. Any actual military force is going to kick a bunch of civies asses. You pick one off and they call in the crew served. If anything happens to the point that I am thinking about bugging out Its over anyways.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top