JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A pack of dachshunds. LAND PIRAHNA!!!

Truthfully they are the best early warning system, ever. They hear everything, I never could sneak up on the house, they knew the sound of the cars, all three of them. Couldn't sneak up on foot either.

Last Edited:
A coworker trained security dogs and she said that Malinois are extremely hyper active and absolutely HAVE TO WORK. She said that they are a handful and are a big commitment, and that a lot of people don't know what they're getting into when they adopt.

I have no firsthand experience and I'm just relaying what I was told.

Last Edited:
Our good old boy George was a great alerter to strangers (until he went deaf and mostly blind). He was all bark but loyal. We lost him two weeks ago at 14 1/2 years old. We will be replacing him with a lab'sh size protector soon.

F7046DBF-ABE1-405F-A745-913C5FE3E3CF.jpeg E7527B19-78D8-44D9-8E2C-58A72291FD47.jpeg 52506D8E-619C-4DC6-91CB-82C3AF6EDB20.jpeg

A coworker trained security dogs and she said that Malinois are extremely hyper active and absolutely HAVE TO WORK. She said that they are a handful and are a big commitment, and that a lot of people don't know what they're getting into when they adopt.

I have no firsthand experience and I'm just relaying what I was told.
I had a border collie and a jack russel growing up, i think i'll be okay... good to know tho!
Still a cat person for the time being.

Also, pugs are in my top ten breeds, but their effectiveness against an intruder or wild animal keeps them out of the top 5 for me.

I had a border collie and a jack russel growing up, i think i'll be okay... good to know tho!
Still a cat person for the time being.

Also, pugs are in my top ten breeds, but their effectiveness against an intruder or wild animal keeps them out of the top 5 for me.
We have one other and when she passes we will have both a guard dog and a pug. Once you experience the uniqueness of the little pig like creature, it's hard to imagine life without.
This is our girl Pearl, she is 13 and aging fast. Has the best nose for strangers I have ever seen in a dog. She knows when a stranger is near or has been in our yard

C8D36668-F70E-4C24-B318-B29A7C8C43C9.jpeg 370310F6-E834-4DEB-8B94-3F178CEC8B78.png 2DB0F353-D6CF-4EDE-A992-4E306C0D5058.jpeg

Most of our pets have lived 16 to 20 years. The last ones were a Sharpei/Basenji mix female and a Cockatiel.:)
At 78, the only one I want around now that will out live me is my wife.:cool:

Last Edited:
Yes, they are I am torn between a Malinois and a Cane Corso puppy.
I had a Corso and will again if/when my work schedule changes. They aren't really high maintenance and have an uncanny ability to read strangers and situations. They see things we don't. They aren't barkers so if they make noise, you know something's up.

Yes.........or as we used to call them Anatolian's. Akbash is simply a white Anatolian. That is my puppy, he weighs 150 lbs or so and moves like the wind.
Beautiful dog you have. I have read a lot about the Anatolian and Kangel but did not know of any breeders in the northwest. From what I have read and seen on video for a very large dog they are very fast and agile.
James

The woman that campaigned successfully to get the Anatolian recognized by the AKC was from loon Lake Washington. Her name was Ruth Webb. I saw my first ones in the late 70's at the National Sheep study area in eastern Idaho. They had been imported by the government to test as sheep guardians when they were trying to discourage shooting predators. There was a time when they became very expensive because the UN was buying them to send as flock guards to Africa in an attempt to reduce the number of Cheetah shootings.

So your boy is 150lbs? That is a lot of guard dog. He sure looks calm in the picture. Over is Turkey they have a few very large breed guard and protection dogs that are very imposing but not for everybody.
James

20141229_151517-1-1.jpg 1441724317710.jpg
This is my dog Ruger at 130#. He observes and the reacts.
Not much of a barker.
They are called Bandog Mastiff, pretty much Pit / Mastiff.

Last Edited:
I have always loved the Working breeds, Especially the Retrievers and the Newfoundlands!
If you want a BIG dog for a guard dog, a rescue dog, and a drafting dog, the Neufie is unbeatable, and they are great big lovers, especially with kids! Some bark, some don't, my Boy Skidder is a Non barker, so he is an especially effective guard dog! He is jet black, looks like he is always on a caffeine buzz, and as big as he is, he is agile as heck and can clear a 6 foot fence like it wasn't even a challenge! You cannot out run him, and I wouldn't try to out swim him, and if he gets a hold of you, your gonna loose something! The old saying about dogs being absolutely fearless definitely describes Skids, he isn't afraid of any thing (except missing dinner) and would take on a Grizzly bear and actually have a chance! Neufies are easy to train, loyal to a fault, extremely protective of their people, and stronger then any animal that walks!
medium-blossom-newfoundland-dog-breeds.jpg
bfc0070b13dd48c65d4b7ca089d4b80c--dog-search-newfoundland-dogs.jpg

And, My Senior Citizen Hunting partner Golden Retriever, Dangerously smart, a real problem solver, an awesome hunter, and a nose with no comparison, a Golden is one of the best all purpose dogs around! And for those who think a Golden isn't good at security, I can show pictures of what a Golden is capable of! LOL

GODNN8W.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads