JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because YT/IG "influencers" with guns and gear don't want 5+ pounds of crap on their necks regardless of how beefy or wiry they are :rolleyes: night vision devices with counterweight can get heavy, plus the weight of ballistic helmet? Not always good for neck and spine bones if not trained with the weight of ballistic helmets.

Counter weights are a must, like I said CPG I think right now is the best bang for buck out there for ballistic helmets. The weight starts to add up and you will be limited on how long you want to wear it / shoot comfortably. Like others have said everything depends on your purpose. I would go bump if just wanting something to mount night vision. If set on ballistic.

Helmet wear, like body armor, and a sidearm, require work up to wear comfortably. Start with short periods and work up to longer wear. You must give your body time to get used to and adjust to the added weight. Additionally, the gear must fit you. Even bump helmets can give you a hot spot or a splitting headache from pressure points if they don't fit. Why do you think military pilots have their helmets custom fitted?

Now, as for rifle rounds, 'they' (not sure of the company) make an AR500 crown piece that goes on the front / top of helmets. it will stop or at least adequately deflect a rifle round. But although you are still alive, you will probably hurt for a while due to the shock.

Last Edited:
Helmet wear, like body armor, and a sidearm, require work up to wear comfortably. Start with short periods and work up to longer wear. You must give your body time to get used to and adjust to the added weight. Additionally, the gear must fit you. Even bump helmets can give you a hot spot or a splitting headache from pressure points if they don't fit. Why do you think military pilots have their helmets custom fitted?

Now, as for rifle rounds, 'they' (not sure of the company) make an AR500 crown piece that goes on the front / top of helmets. it will stop or at least adequately deflect a rifle round. But although you are still alive, you will probably hurt for a while due to the shock.
https://www.ar500armor.com/protector-helmet.html

Does not have rails for NV.

Because YT/IG "influencers" with guns and gear don't want 5+ pounds of crap on their necks regardless of how beefy or wiry they are :rolleyes: night vision devices with counterweight can get heavy, plus the weight of ballistic helmet? Not always good for neck and spine bones if not trained with the weight of ballistic helmets.
Counter weights are a must, like I said CPG I think right now is the best bang for buck out there for ballistic helmets. The weight starts to add up and you will be limited on how long you want to wear it / shoot comfortably. Like others have said everything depends on your purpose. I would go bump if just wanting something to mount night vision. If set on ballistic.

I have found a ballistic helmet requires less counter balance weight, if any, compared to bump helmets depending on the NV unit being used.

I have found a ballistic helmet requires less counter balance weight, if any, compared to bump helmets depending on the NV unit being used.

I agree with that completely. If you have the right mount it makes all the difference in the world. Nevertheless, mounts can get expensive and counterweights are an easy fix if needed.

Yep, I get that, it's not for everyone. I predict most people who have played football find it to be less of an issue since they are already used to having multiple pounds on their head.

It definitely has a time and place where it is a benefit rather than a hinderance.

Yep, I get that, it's not for everyone. I predict most people who have played football find it to be less of an issue since they are already used to having multiple pounds on their head.

It definitely has a time and place where it is a benefit rather than a hinderance.
The weight isn't as much of an issue as having unbalanced weight, that is what cause stain.

I dig CPG helmets as well as HHV (gasp!). With a few high-priced exceptions, they're all (high-cuts) about the same weight. Counterweights are a must with either ballistic or bump helmets for long-term use (all day, all night). Depending on your NVG rig, your counter weight will vary. If you're rocking some 31's, use less weight. Dual 14's, more weight. If not, you're headed for your helmet to dig into your forehead, strain your neck and give you a sweet, sweet migraine.

When I was a boy a deer hunter took me for a deer even though I was wearing bright orange. Barely missed me 3-4 times before I got behind a log.
I see a good time for armor is when around idiots. You know, the times you get invited to do 'go out to the woods' for some target shooting. My experience is there is always a least one careless idiot.
A decent BP vest made me feel less foolish for agreeing to go.

Shop around. I just picked this up for $130 at Alley Cat Surplus in Boring, Oregon with my daughter :D 05-06 production MSA TC-2002 Gunfighter Mid-Cut MICH helmet. Just missing crown pad. Comes with a Wilcox NVG shroud. Lighter than the PASGT that I also have. 20230401_150913.jpg 20230401_150907.jpg 20230401_150857.jpg 20230401_130754.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top