JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^^Agreed^^^ Mastiffs have excellent demeanor. They seem to be more civilized than a lot of other working breeds. Pits...well, you win some, you lose some. I have one but I'm not sure I'd get another. She's pretty well behaved and undeniably devoted but dumber than a bag of hammers. Strong, relentless, sharp, unstoppable hammers.
A bandog is intriguing but I'd definitely need to spend some time with the parents before choosing a pup.

Reminds me of my favorite war dog, Sergeant Stubby...the most decorated war dog in history, and the only dog to be nominated for rank and promoted to Sergeant through combat.

This Wiki article is definitely worth the read.

Sergeant Stubby - Wikipedia

5ac2af00b0a45.image.jpg

The good news, he or she will grow into their ears. Beautiful dog...

The pup is a he, it's more important for him to grow into his paws at this point

His ears are unidirectional!

Named him Anubis (Egyptian God of the Underworld), so if someone comes on the farm he decides if they reach the underworld

A coworker trained security dogs and she said that Malinois are extremely hyper active and absolutely HAVE TO WORK. She said that they are a handful and are a big commitment, and that a lot of people don't know what they're getting into when they adopt.

I have no firsthand experience and I'm just relaying what I was told.
Ok, I just saw this post and thread. Your coworker is correct. Having trained dogs, dog owners and even trained with the German Polizei; most dogs in the herding breed group requires a lot of work and time!

Ever see a Weimaraner? Heck I will go a little more common. Ever see or own a boxer? That being said the Malinois is FREAKING BAD@$$! I am not taking anything away from any other breed.

I had a Malinois that I used as a guard dog for my friends pit bulls. He was a breeder that had one of the best red/red nose bloodlines I have seen! Anyway, people tried stealing his puppies and he asked me what he should do? I told him to get a guard dog. He said that he didn't have the time to train a dog. So, I would bring over Greta, and then tell her that no one was allowed to go near the fence. Let's just say that two so called thugs found out that she meant business! ;)

I picked the Malinois over a German Shepherd based on size, health and life expectancy.
I miss having a dog!

You have to be committed to teaching and working with your dog. Most people don't realize that they try doing too much in a long amount of time in a day. Dogs don't work that way. Next advice is have "worktime" and then "playtime".

*psst* you can make playtime actual work.

Oh yeah and before I forget! Stupid short term memory loss! SMH! Owning a Malinois is like owning a German Shepherd on speed! Or like getting a Bugatti and thinking you can race it around town two months after you get your drivers license! :eek::D

But, with time and practice I guarantee you will be excellent at it.

Oh yeah and before I forget! Stupid short term memory loss! SMH! Owning a Malinois is like owning a German Shepherd on speed! Or like getting a Bugatti and thinking you can race it around town two months after you get your drivers license! :eek::D

But, with time and practice I guarantee you will be excellent at it.

I hear ya brother! Been around a few of them and they are amazing. Being by myself I,would have gone that route but I got my new pup for my 11 year old son and he actually doing the training so I figured a gsd would be a better fit for learning the processes.

Too many people get in over their heads with certain breeds, know your limitations

I like my Olde English Bulldogges. 2 furry little cuddle monsters who will defend their territory. The female is smaller and has scared off a puma and will work with the male to kill raccoons, coyotes, and whatever else enters the yard without permission. 65 and 85 pounds. And my daughters have been able to command them since they could talk.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top