JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just my thoughts on it. At 86, I go back a long way with NRA when they were still the American Rifleman. They lost public credibility when they supported our right to use pistol ammunition that would shoot through police armor.
Jmlabrum
The NRA was never the American Rifleman

Their public approval is higher than it was 20 years ago.

There was no ammunition designed to shoot through armor.

Guns didn't have hooks on the butts. You're thinking of Captain Hook from Peter Pan perhaps?

You're an enjoyable troll if only br being rather stupid. You know the AW ban isn't going to make the ballot. Is that why you're lashing out?

Sorry, I didn' t mean to stir the pot and raise a stink! But some of you are missing the point. " Fire ONE shot and then reload!"
They don't have to nullify it, only limit its coverage.
I thought my memory was bad, but if you don't remember the first NRA War.....
Jmlabrum

Ya...and, and, and, they didn't want you to, like. wear anything with, like, sleeves ....
.... 'cuz, like, they only mentioned, y'know, BARE ARMS. :rolleyes:

5e8f5f7130b7c65de35fe38cc45eb713.jpg

Okay, even assuming you are an octagenarian as claimed..

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed"

Tell me where it says "firearms" - the phrase covers all sorts of arms from daggers and blugeons to cannon and catapults, and everything in between, yes, including firearms. Firearm has no basis in the body part "arm" it means armament, just like swords and axes etc. Firearms are but one sort of arm, and the 2nd amendment does not limit one's rights to only guns, especially not single shot muzzle loading devices. And the curved butt plates were indeed shoulder fired, you don't put the point into your shoulder :confused:

This smells badly of a bridge dweller.

Not worth a reply, but since you did let me set the record straight.
My name is John Labrum
NRA Life member
California Rifle and Pistol Assn Life
Member Cascade Civil War Society
Member Little Butte Mtn Men
Member Mt Wallace Long Rifles
Member Lynden Shotgun Club
Member Custer Shooting Club
Member Jackson County Range
Member Josephine County Range
KYCH
And at last count owner of 34 calibers And guages, 12 presses and O Yes. The Cast Bullet Association.
(Did I mention USN, USAF, and USA - Honorable Discharge. Korea was my War when they were still walnut and steel!)

John, I'm glad you're here and welcome your years of wisdom. There's a lot going on at the local levels and we're all a little on edge. Your original post really isn't something most of us are focussing on right now. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Alrighty then...
Easy items first:
Hooks on the buttplate / Deep curve to the butt plate...a few things to understand:.
Folks were built smaller then , so some rifles have a smaller overall shape to include the butt plate...
Some rifles with the deep hook to the butt plate were meant to be fired from the upper arm , near the shoulder...
And no , it doesn't hurt when shooting them...I know as I own and shoot a "few" , originals , not replicas...:D
Mostly it was a "style thing"...it was just how some rifles were made at certain times and places...no real big mystery...
As for patch and ball.. Its use together , has been around since at least the 1750's ...at least here in America...

Regarding the Second Amendment...
The wording is "Arms"..which means weapons and ammunition , armaments ...At least according to Mr. Webster...:D
Arms in the 18th and 19th Century also included anything related to weapons and their equipment...such as Knives , Bayonets , tomahawks , cartridge boxes , cannon etc...

More importantly , the Second Amendment makes no distinction between "Arms"...it does not say :
...The right to keep and bear arms , except for these...Or The right to keep and bear arms of this type , but not of that type...etc...
It simply says :
...The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed....
Which to my mind means any Arm that I want to own....
Andy

Be careful how you use the second amendment to protect your rights.. The Supreme Court can nullify it in a heartbeat. Why? Consider this, and 1800 a firearm was a weapon we be careful how you use the second amendment to protect your rights.. The Supreme Court can nullify it in a heartbeat. Why? Consider this, and 1800 a firearm was a weapon fired from the arm ( not the shoulder or the hand, NRA take note ), Which fired one shot and then was reloaded from the muscle. Any enhancements after this were for machines of war. Someday someone will invent a nuclear warhead and 30 caliber and the NRA will support a right to use it. Such has been their logic
Jmlabrum
Wow you sound si intelligent some who can wil be win .yesTHE NRA HAS CREATED A 30CALIPER WARMHEAD
I WANT ONE

The first NRA war, was that before or after WWW, you know, the internet war??
DUH....THATS WHEN THEY ASSASINATED PRESIDENT HESTON
EVERYONE REMWMBERS WHEN THE UNITED RIFLEMAN OF AMERICA DROPPED A 30 CALIFON ASSAULT BOMB AND WIPED OUT OUR ENEMIES AT GUNSAMMICA. 2 MILLION COPIES PRINTED IN CALIFORNIAN WERE CANCELED THAT DAY

GOD BLESS THE ASSAULTED STATE OF AMERICANRIFLEMAN

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads