JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just checked out the trailer on IMDB.COM
Looks pretty good.

I've been thinking about stuff like this lately. Probably (cross my fingers) won't happen in my life time, however, I'm pretty young and scares me thinking about having kids. If I'm on my own I think I can get through anything, anywhere. But I'm about to get married and my fiance wants kids. It just scares the crap out of me bring up a child in a world that constantly going down hill.

Listened to the audio book on youtube.....weird that the book covers so little of the mother, but the movie trailer gives the appearance she plays a larger role in the film.

I saw the movie up in Bellevue when it first came out. I thought they did a good job of following the book. They got most every major event in there.

One thing that Cormac McCarthy is very good at in his books is describing the desperation of man. The typical theme in most of his books is that there will always be evil in the world but we are still responsible for "carrying the fire" (doing and teaching what is right).

The type of deep desperation found in his book is hard to convey in a short movie. I don't think the movie spend enough time showing the father teaching his son about the world and the difference between good and evil. The movie IMO also made the kid out to be kinda stupid and a bit of a whiner. Maybe that's just because I imagined him differently in the book.

Overall, I give the movie a 92% rating. I think it's worth seeing and even though it had a limited opening, I would recommend finding where it's playing or getting it on dvd when it comes out.

The book was OK and gave a stark reality to what life after a nuke war would be like. Doubt they would ever catch me with just two bullets in my gun.

jj

The apocalyptic event was never specified. The book is steeped in biblical imagery, as is McCarthy's wont. I think it's the readers call as to deciding what the event was. Interesting albeit brief interview with McCarthy last month in the Wall Street Journal. He said that the novel was based in large part on conversations he had with his own young ( 8 years old, i think?) son. I find his books remarkable and original, and I have no intention of seeing the film. That is my one complaint with McCarthy - that he sold any film rights to any of his novels - though more power to him and I can't say I'd have done it different. I just like the idea of having to take a more active role in his prose.

I found the book to be an "Awkward" read. I didn't like the authors style of writing and couldn't lose myself in the story. As example, he referred several times to things being "In the floor" rather than "On the floor". Rather than enjoying a flowing story line, I often found myself wondering why he would describe things in such unusual ways. :s0154:

I just watched the movie 2 days ago, and seen the book at the store today, so i picked it up and gonna give it a good read as well. Not sure how close to the book the movie was, but i loved the movie and movies done usually do the book justice , so book should be cool.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top