JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Morning, all!

16925472745581939398812983847430.jpg

OK, I'll play today...

The caffeinated goodness is steeping for the requisite 4 minutes in the French press...

GMNWFA01.1.JPG

Four interminable minutes later, it's ready to pour... Yeah, yeah, I hear ya... I add about an ounce or two of warmed milk to the thermos when I mix the steeped brew. The level of this particular roast's darkness needs the "edge" taken off with a bit of milk when it's made in a press. I don't need or use milk when I use a Melitta filter.

GMNWFA01.2.JPG

@MTpockets makes note of "weird light" in his morning picture. We've got some weird light going on here for the past two days as well, in that there's a ton of wildfire smoke lingering around the lower Columbia Basin. Broad daylight has a distinctly orange tint to it, and the light is considerably darker, like complete, high cloud cover. And sunrise was an even more otherworldly shade... Yesterday, our AQI was just under 300, at 296. Today, it's a bit more than a third less, at 182. Still pretty sucky. I can't even see the mountain where my buddy Phil lives, and that's only 3 miles away in direct line-of-sight... :eek:

GMNWFA01.3.PNG

But.... Good Morning NWFA! :)

Last Edited:
ui_nwdelivers.jpg
The Caffeine Smuggler completed another successful run, through a TSA checkpoint, to deliver this taste of coffee goodness from the Pacific Northwest.
It beats the dusty tumbleweed brew that they roast here in the desert.:s0158:☕

:s0074:

Sky1.png
^. Morning view. Well, not this morning, but not long ago. (It was a United flight so, naturally, wifi was down; how I wish that was the only flight hiccup.)

Holy Spinning Space Pineapples! The last few months have been staggeringly busy and surreal. Hit the ground running with a project in biomedical technology R&D and it has been quite engrossing. (Alas, it required a bit of travel.) Some serious situations went down for our family, but all handled, and we ripped through it stronger than before. Said goodbye to someone very important, said hello to a new member of the tribe, fell into a trance whilst seeing Dalí's work in person*, and picked up a new zipper (my word for a scar), just to name a few.

Be that as it may, to quote the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
RadiantDecay1.jpg

Goooooood morning NWFA! How y'all doing?

* One of the cities I stopped in for business was St. Petesburg, Florida. The Fates must have a sense of humor; the Dalí Museum was, literally, within walking distance of my hotel. I stole away from organizational jackassery for a short spell to see the many works. :D

Dalí.png

Last Edited:
View attachment 1489073
^. Morning view. Well, not this morning, but not long ago. (It was a United flight so, naturally, wifi was down; how I wish that was the only flight hiccup.)

Holy Spinning Space Pineapples! The last few months have been staggeringly busy and surreal. Hit the ground running with a project in biomedical technology R&D and it has been quite engrossing. (Alas, it required a bit of travel.) Some serious situations went down for our family, but all handled, and we ripped through it stronger than before. Said goodbye to someone very important, said hello to a new member of the tribe, fell into a trance whilst seeing Dalí's work in person*, and picked up a new zipper (my word for a scar), just to name a few.

View attachment 1489074

* One of the cities I stopped in for business was St. Petesburg, Florida. The Fates must have a sense of humor; the Dalí Museum was, literally, within walking distance of my hotel. I stole away from organizational jackassery for a short spell to see the many works. :D

View attachment 1489075
Great to see you back 'Gent....:D
Andy

View attachment 1489073

View attachment 1489074

View attachment 1489075
Missed you around here.

Today, we are what is for my area pretty cold weather. This was my thermometer today around 1000:

P1120355.JPG

I have two other digital thermometers, those both said 16 degrees. Close enough. We're about a quarter mile from Puget Sound, we don't see these low numbers often. Thankfully, because I'm not into cold weather. We got about 3/4 inch of snow early enough that the ground temp. was still above freezing so it melted on paved surfaces. The land is still largely white. I've heard on the news that we probably won't get any more snow, for now. As the cold front out of Canada moves south, precipitation that hits the front will fall in Oregon.

The wood stove gets used most winter mornings and today it's been burning since about 0900. I'll let it go around 0100 when I hit the sack. Knowing that cold weather and maybe snow were on the way, I've kept my indoor wood bins stocked up every day. I'm using up some red alder that was stacked about 5 or 6 years ago. I've got another about a half cord of red alder that's 4 years old. When that's gone, I've got lots of maple that I cut and stacked Feb-Mar. 2023. At that time, I took down a cluster of old big leaf maples that yielded many cords of wood. I kept all of it. Not one twig left my property. The little stuff I ran through my chipping machine. Anything over an inch of so in diameter, I cut up and put in a fire starter rick. The bigger stuff got bucked, split (by hand), carried and stacked,. I don't throw anything wood away. All the little short cuts, bent or twisted pieces, all that stuff goes in my "short and curly" pile. If I have boxes available, it gets boxed. If not, I might toss it between two covered ricks of split wood. Fire doesn't care what shape wood comes in, it all burns.

My cats spend most of their time in front of or next to the wood stove. I would say "waking hours" but they don't have many of those.

My sister in law over in Spokane is having colder weather than we are here.

Today, we are what is for my area pretty cold weather. This was my thermometer today around 1000:

View attachment 1800862

I have two other digital thermometers, those both said 16 degrees. Close enough. We're about a quarter mile from Puget Sound, we don't see these low numbers often. Thankfully, because I'm not into cold weather. We got about 3/4 inch of snow early enough that the ground temp. was still above freezing so it melted on paved surfaces. The land is still largely white. I've heard on the news that we probably won't get any more snow, for now. As the cold front out of Canada moves south, precipitation that hits the front will fall in Oregon.

The wood stove gets used most winter mornings and today it's been burning since about 0900. I'll let it go around 0100 when I hit the sack. Knowing that cold weather and maybe snow were on the way, I've kept my indoor wood bins stocked up every day. I'm using up some red alder that was stacked about 5 or 6 years ago. I've got another about a half cord of red alder that's 4 years old. When that's gone, I've got lots of maple that I cut and stacked Feb-Mar. 2023. At that time, I took down a cluster of old big leaf maples that yielded many cords of wood. I kept all of it. Not one twig left my property. The little stuff I ran through my chipping machine. Anything over an inch of so in diameter, I cut up and put in a fire starter rick. The bigger stuff got bucked, split (by hand), carried and stacked,. I don't throw anything wood away. All the little short cuts, bent or twisted pieces, all that stuff goes in my "short and curly" pile. If I have boxes available, it gets boxed. If not, I might toss it between two covered ricks of split wood. Fire doesn't care what shape wood comes in, it all burns.

My cats spend most of their time in front of or next to the wood stove. I would say "waking hours" but they don't have many of those.

My sister in law over in Spokane is having colder weather than we are here.
Could be worse :p

178E6477-76AE-4551-B1E9-356BD7AE7708.jpeg

Watson lake in Yukon territory was supposedly -47 F also.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top