JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been keeping an Ace Hardware 36 inch Bolt Cutter in each truck as a "...master key...", boy was I surprised to find it completely made useless by, you guessed it, cutting the bolt on an actual lock. My understanding was that this was it'd core line of function. So...this has lead me to find a (seemingly) better made set of Bolt Cutters from KREEN with replaceable blades. Since Ace has a 30 day replacement policy and I've had them for years, they will not become a nice door stop but I will acquire and test the KREEN brand and post back here.

So....for those who are like minded, I would suggest taking those bolt cutters out and giving them a try and posting here for others.

As a reference the model I purchased is ACE Model #2195469, 36 inch Bolt Cutter

In the interim be safe.

It's actually pretty easy for lock manufacturers to harden the bolt to a point that it deforms most if not all bolt cutters jaws. It's going to be hard to find a bolt cutter that is harder as they tend to shatter when that hard and then used on an equally hard lock bolt.

However, most locks can be overcome with a hammer, hitting hard down on the body until it breaks open.
Also, lock hasps are a weak area and can be pried off.
Don't forget a Zak Halligan bar for general door entry.
Look for easier ways to gain entry if needed.

I would recommend never trying to gain entry unless it's an emergency/rescue type of need or a very dire SHTF situation because any armed occupants will quickly end your SHTF experience.

A rechargeable Dremel tool and a tiny emery cut off disc will cut through the hardest of steels. you can buy the little cut off disc's in a tube with like 25 of them for a few bucks.

+1 With Mark W. my rechargeable Dremel tool will hold over 90% of its charge for a year. It lasts a long time under use too. I use mine to trim my dogs huge and fast growing toe nails (with extreme caution), as well as other chores. I have to charge it twice a year. You can bet that I have plenty of cutoff wheels and other abrasives and bits on hand too!

you have to be careful buying bolt cutters. many are made cheaply and are not rated for cutting hardened steel. find some that are meant for cutting locks and you cant go wrong.

I have the Dewalt 18v version of the above - only because almost all of my cordless tools are 18v Dewalt simply for convenience.

In the 'man sees tool, man must have tool' scenario like Tool Time I saw the show Storage Wars where the guy cuts right through locks like butter and knew I had to have one. (I do electrical work so I use it not just as a master key).

My one cheap SnapSafe modular gun safe would be carved to bits by it in minutes.

Quality bolt cutters do have their place. I have giant pair HK Porter 42". Those, a giant ax, a shovel, and misc other things are kept 25' off from the house in case the big one hits and I need to try to retrieve things.

Last Edited:
A can of compressed air (nitrogen) held upside down and sprayed over the lock bolt until it's really frozen solid, then whacking the lock bolt really hard with a good sized ball peen hammer, will generally shatter hardened metal.

While I recently also destroyed a pair of ace hardware bolt cutters (cutting rebar oddly enough), there are many better ways to get through most padlocks, as you can easily shim them (put a shim down along-side the lock bolt and force the cross-bar out.) In most cases, it's easier to attack the thing the padlock is attached to rather than the lock itself.

As far as "making the magic happen" I'm a big fan of oxy-propane cutting torches. Mine makes really quick work of huge slabs of steel.

Interesting thread. I'm a little biased since I worked along side locksmiths in the past. Lockmasters and Timemasters generally sell the public last I checked. Get a good pick kit and practice with it.

While I recently also destroyed a pair of ace hardware bolt cutters (cutting rebar oddly enough), there are many better ways to get through most padlocks, as you can easily shim them (put a shim down along-side the lock bolt and force the cross-bar out.) In most cases, it's easier to attack the thing the padlock is attached to rather than the lock itself.

As far as "making the magic happen" I'm a big fan of oxy-propane cutting torches. Mine makes really quick work of huge slabs of steel.
Plasma cutter - works on stainless too.

Yea, I like plasma cutters, problem is they need a lot of juice or a gas engine to run...

The only thing I can say for more "stubborn" jobs is the thermal lance. Which is a magnesium/aluminum tube with oxygen flowing down the center.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top