JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are many good ideas about what to have in your survival kit. Food, guns, and the other things we think are needed to live.
Now think about what the PNW Indians had for supplies and food. They did not worry about how to transport 2000 pounds of supplies. They never ran out of bullets. They eat and lived will before pale face showed up.
How long will the country be a mess? Can you live on what you know? What you have? No matter how much food and supplies you have, they will run out. Now what are you going to do?
My advice, learn how the Indians lived. Learn what they eat, how they preserved their food, where the got their food and how they built there shelters.
My boggy bag, one .22, one knife, one fire starter flint set. I'll make the rest of the stuff as I go.
Knowledge is your best survival tool, It weighs nothing. It is always with you.
Learning the Indian way of living is fun and the whole family can get involved.
Of course this is my way.
What do you think?

It's a good idea. I hunt, fish, camp, I was in SAR, I know a lot and can survive a while in the wilderness. I don't know anything about Indians except that they used bow and arrows a lot...I read up on alternate ways of living when I can. It's sad to think that everybody needs the amentities we have everyday, just to survive. I live in the outskirts of Portland, where there's not a lot of wildlife, to hunt. I can walk a 1/4 mile and catch fish all night long though, I don't want to eat fish out of the Wilamette unless I have to though. It's something to think about! In a SHTF situation, I'm going to count on my .22 and survival skills more than my fighting skills and AK, as well. Good thread.

Native Americans also often starved in the winter time. They suffered injuries and disease that is easily corrected by modern medicine. They had a lifespan averaging half that of the modern person and high infant /post-partum mortality. Population density was a fraction of what it is now, and whether that's good or bad, it means that not everybody now alive could support themselves that way without interfering with each other and eventually having conflict over resources.

It doesn't pay to overly romanticize a primitive lifestyle. They had tough lives and plenty of tragedy. Most people in the NW did NOT live nomadic lifestyles, and those who did on the Great Plains mostly got there after the Spanish introduced horses. To have any quality of life and moe importantly SECURITY, even primitive peoples needed more tools and supplies than they could easily carry on their back.

You can always edumacate yourself on edible plants, roots and berries.

A feew millenia ago when I was teenager I bought one of these books and used to go in the woods and fields with my buddies and identify these things here is one such book which I just ordered once again to re-edumacate myself on these things.

Almost a book on preserving game or fish in the wilderness would be a good idea

Native Americans also often starved in the winter time. They suffered injuries and disease that is easily corrected by modern medicine. They had a lifespan averaging half that of the modern person and high infant /post-partum mortality. Population density was a fraction of what it is now, and whether that's good or bad, it means that not everybody now alive could support themselves that way without interfering with each other and eventually having conflict over resources.

It doesn't pay to overly romanticize a primitive lifestyle. They had tough lives and plenty of tragedy. Most people in the NW did NOT live nomadic lifestyles, and those who did on the Great Plains mostly got there after the Spanish introduced horses. To have any quality of life and moe importantly SECURITY, even primitive peoples needed more tools and supplies than they could easily carry on their back.

Romanticize a primitive lifestyle????
300 years ago no one lived very long.
My family tree shows several women who out lived 5 husbands. None who lived past 25. From the other side there are men who out lived six wives. None of the wives lived past 23.
Does not sound romantic to me.
How long will your stash of modern stuff last????? Wouldn't you prefere to have the odds on your side?

By the way, keep your head down.

There is over 20,000,000 deer in the US. The exact amount is unknown. If each deer averaged 150lb of meet after butchering it, and you hunted every deer in the country to extinction, you could feed each person more than 10 pounds of deer meat. Maybe you could even feed them more than 11 pounds.

Continue this with all other animals and rodents and birds... You could keep the population stable for a few months. Throw in the family pet and you can add an extra week.

There are alot of people who know how to hunt, and alot more who are capable of learning in a short amount of time. If your planning on not storing food and living off nature, plan on eating bugs.

will-smith-in-I-am-legend.jpg

There is over 20,000,000 deer in the US. The exact amount is unknown. If each deer averaged 150lb of meet after butchering it, and you hunted every deer in the country to extinction, you could feed each person more than 10 pounds of deer meat. Maybe you could even feed them more than 11 pounds.

Continue this with all other animals and rodents and birds... You could keep the population stable for a few months. Throw in the family pet and you can add an extra week.

There are alot of people who know how to hunt, and alot more who are capable of learning in a short amount of time. If your planning on not storing food and living off nature, plan on eating bugs.

Actually to be completely honest, I am not worried or concerned about feeding everyone in America, it may sound cold but my responsibility is myself and my family and putting away what I can for us, if i can share alittle here and there where it is mutually beneficial great, but if not that is life.

I do not care for most people, because they clearly do not care for me unless it is to their advantage, if someone wants to blindly walk through it is their choice, when shtf they need not come knocking on my door because they were too ignorant and self indulged to prepare themselves.

SHTF, I will take out a dozen real quick like and put the food meat up for my family, the heck with those who live in downtown boston or new york, they made theirs beds and lye in them

Your plan is exactly what I plan on doing. I see deer on my way home from work about 3 out of every 5 days, and most the time they aren't alone.
My post was to help people to understand that there is a need to grow a garden, maybe raise your own animals, and to store food.

The Indian way would work if there were less people around. It's always good to know primitive skills in case they come in need from time to time, but it shouldn't be your entire plan unless you live in Alaska or somewhere extremely remote.

Your plan is exactly what I plan on doing. I see deer on my way home from work about 3 out of every 5 days, and most the time they aren't alone.
My post was to help people to understand that there is a need to grow a garden, maybe raise your own animals, and to store food.

The Indian way would work if there were less people around. It's always good to know primitive skills in case they come in need from time to time, but it shouldn't be your entire plan unless you live in Alaska or somewhere extremely remote.

You've got the idea. How long will the melt down last?? Months or years. Any ones guess is good.
As for the Microwave. Good idea until the power goes out :) Think I'd add 20 lbs of MRE's.

Birds are good, rodents are good and so are maggots, roasted of course, and yes I have. Dogs, cat and coyotes are also eatable. They should be cooked very well done.

Just so everyone knows, I did not mean to pick at you.

I was just stating how I feel, I know most people here feel the same way I do and in reading post I know where you are coming from.

SHTF, I am going to let natural attrition consume those who have running around with the heads in sand, thinking BIG "O" is going to save their sorry arses. I have built alliances and will build a few more for mutual benefit,

I've tried tanning a few elk hides over the years. Tough work and not something I would want to rely on as far as a method of clothing myself or creating a shelter or blanket.

I have also taned hides. You are right not easy. I have found over the years that primitive living is not, and I will repeat not easy. But on the other hand my family is preped for 6 months to a year with modern supplys.
But how long will a SHTF senario last?? I have no idea. How far back into the stone age will our socitey be pushed?
More questions then answers. I belive that stored supplies, knowledge and practice of primitive living skills is the best defense.

**this post contains satire**

A .22 : 0 how the hell will that help?! nothing less then a 6.5mm SCAR carbine will do for SHTF what if you have to storm a military base lone wolf style? .22 won't help you there son. nope, you'll never survive the coming World War Call of Duty

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top